Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very vaguely on topic - being vegan doesn't mean you love all animals, I absolutely hate octopuses. I was fine with them existing in the ocean as I never go in the ocean but then I saw videos of them walking on land and - not to be dramatic - I would die on the spot if I saw an octopus slithering towards me. Horrifying. Not that they're going to turn up in the queue at my local Tesco with a basket of frozen cod or climb the stairs to my flat and post themselves through my letterbox but it does freak me out. Squid are chill though.

ETA: Jack come back, we're talking about cephalopods ffs.
I’m a vegan who doesn’t like any animals at all. People seem surprised at this until I tell them I don’t really like them either but I’m not keen to drink their breast milk or eat bits of their legs.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
That black spaghetti and sardine thing is an abomination, even by Jack’s standards.
Imagine if she’d had a Nigella-style TV series where at the end they show her friends cheerfully gathering at her table for a lovely meal and *that* is plonked in front of them. Imagine the horrified silence.
And imagine if she’d ever presented this kind of stuff to Allegra, an actual trained and successful chef who appears to understand flavour.
Jack’s recipes are so far below even the lowest bar out there, it’s embarrassing that she is still making a living (of sorts) in food.
This to me is the most fascinating thing about Jack. She's not just an average cook, she's actively terrible. Every single recipe has something wrong with it. Often it's the absolute basics: onions sitting around in cold oil, simmering pasta, never browning meat, not adding salt to bread...and of course the béchamel.

I reckon most adults can rustle up something edible. Jack can't. Her cooking skills aren't even average, they're wildly subpar - but this is how she makes a living?

It's particularly mad because cooking is a very basic skill. Sometimes I see sewing influencers who are a bit crap, but the vast majority of people don't sew and wouldn't notice the problems. But we all cook! We all eat! We all know what nice food looks like...and as Jack said to Marcus in her Down With The Kids phase, "That ain't it."

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 67
This to me is the most fascinating thing about Jack. She's not just an average cook, she's actively terrible. Every single recipe has something wrong with it. Often it's the absolute basics: onions sitting around in cold oil, simmering pasta, never browning meat, not adding salt to bread...and of course the béchamel.

I reckon most adults can rustle up something edible. Jack can't. Her cooking skills aren't even average, they're wildly subpar - but this is how she makes a living?

It's particularly mad because cooking is a very basic skill. Sometimes I see sewing influencers who are a bit crap, but the vast majority of people don't sew and wouldn't notice the problems. But we all cook! We all eat! We all know what nice food looks like...and as Jack said to Marcus in her Down With The Kids phase, "That ain't it."
Totally agree, would only add that she also just seems completely confused by the whole concept of cooking - that there are basic rules that should be followed is like kryptonite to her maverick mind, which in essence manifests as a kind of actual dislike for the whole thing. But the question is then, how is it possible for someone to be offered books deals and tv shows doing something that they are clearly terrible at?

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Although I love octopi, I would never judge those with chapodiphobia (fear of octopi) as I have molluscophobia (fear of slugs). It's irrational and has been with me from a young child.
With you on slugs. I had an awful recurring dream about them as a child and have an irrational hate of them.

Reactions: 11
It's a decade old now, but I will never forget this article from the Guardian:

Student cooking, including a curry that costs 22£ and involves making your own curry paste. I was a student at the time, and poor. Part-time jobs were thin on the ground in 2010. No one ate like this. No one (except maybe people called Fliss).

You look at that and realise the editors were so out of touch with reality that when a photogenic young mother popped up claiming to be so poor she'd had to sell her lightbulbs...of course no one raised an eyebrow.
Ah yes, those much-loved student staples - kaffir lime leaves and galangal paste.

• Haha
Reactions: 50
Jack coming in about 18 months late with this fresh take, as per.
Even I heard about him last year, and I have lived in flats with no garden for the whole of my adult life. He was mentioned on breakfast TV about 12 months ago at the start of lockdown, when just about everyone was raving about him.

Jack will be late for her own funeral.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
With you on slugs. I had an awful recurring dream about them as a child and have an irrational hate of them.
Me too. I can't even look at a picture of one. I get sweaty palms and they make me feel physically sick. I know it is silly as they can't harm you, but I'm feeling queasy just at the mention. Even the word on a page starts me off, so I would struggle to write it.

Wierd I know, and I was unaware there's a word for it.

Reactions: 13
Me too. I can't even look at a picture of one. I get sweaty palms and they make me feel physically sick. I know it is silly as they can't harm you, but I'm feeling queasy just at the mention. Even the word on a page starts me off, so I would struggle to write it.

Wierd I know, and I was unaware there's a word for it.
Babe, same. Am fine with snails though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Even I heard about him last year, and I have lived in flats with no garden for the whole of my adult life. He was mentioned on breakfast TV about 12 months ago at the start of lockdown, when just about everyone was raving about him.

Jack will be late for her own funeral.
She probably miss it all together- reasons

• Haha
Reactions: 11
We should have seen Gardener Jack coming,it was only a matter of time (I mean, people started obsessing over gardening in their spare time LAST March so it's about right she's just got involved.)

I bet Gardeners World will give her one of their little 'my garden in lockdown' VT's 🙄
NO! They’ve been brilliant. The one with the father and the time he spends in the garden with his disabled daughter listening to everything was so moving. The woman in Poland? On a balcony with all her pots. And the new presenters like the woman in Wales who uses her feet because of shortened arms, amazing. She can stay away from my happy place.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.