Jack Monroe #17 The shed is dead, shaved her head, on the beg for a left-hand Smeg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think you need to ask a professional chef, such as the one and only Jack. If you don’t have any chickpea flour, you can substitute it for any kind of flour really. White, wholemeal, self-raising, plain, strong. It’s all flour

Reactions: 10
This is a really interesting post and absolutely the sort of issue Jack should be pursuing! I do think the major issue here is the fact food deserts exist - if (fresh, healthy, varied) food is not accessible then education is not much use, though I can see the need for it when access is established

I’ve described my town as a food desert. The population is over 30k and it’s served by one large superstore outside of town and a large-ish Co Op in town. The superstore is a 45 minute walk through a rough area (or there’s an expensive bus). Online shopping charges £4 extra if you order under £40, and that’s even if you’ve already paid the monthly subscription (minimum £5 I think). And if you’re poor, that’s a lot to be paying for nothing

Co Op is ridiculously expensive, sometimes literally double the price for fresh fruit/veg, and it’s always bad quality, sometimes on the turn before you've even bought it. If you’re lucky enough to find some orange-sticker items, you’ll be treated to a few pence off a product that goes bad today

There’s also the national problem of fresh produce being expensive calorie-for-calorie, which is what’s important when you’re poor. It’s easy to understand why some poor people opt to live on food almost devoid of nutrients when the other choice is to eat healthy but go hungry

Jack could be lobbying supermarkets, councils, the bloody government but nope, she doesn’t give a toss if it’s not about her

Congratulations on writing a more insightful and pragmatic post than I’ve ever seen from Jack, Patron Saint of the Poor

Reactions: 25

Ive not hard a chance to catch up yet, it’s errand day.
Wanted to pop on and say a massive Happy Birthday to our @LennyBriscoe
I hope you have a day that is a production by Dick Wolf.

Reactions: 21
I think you need to ask a professional chef, such as the one and only Jack. If you don’t have any chickpea flour, you can substitute it for any kind of flour really. White, wholemeal, self-raising, plain, strong. It’s all flour
Speaking of flour, my 16 kg bag of strong bread flour arrived. Portioning it up into 2 kg bags to share. I could have googled it but does anyone of our fabulous baker sistas and bros here have a decent tried and tested recipe for courgette bread? I have a few courgettes and would like to make a nice bread.

Reactions: 2
My best friend is a chef ( a proper trained chef might I add). She volunteers at her GP surgery, she approached them and they were super engaged about it. So every 2 weeks she teaches basic cooking on a budget. It’s free to go to, the surgery provides the space and the food. It’s for people who struggle to cook healthier foods because they’ve never been taught. She also does it for old people in care homes and assisted living...Jack could create an army of people like my friend and help all over the place...people with skills but not really knowing how to use them, could work alongside food banks etc. Just a thought.

Reactions: 25
Good day to the Frau pit and happy birthday @LennyBriscoe .

I’m trying the growing lettuce from stumps thing - has anyone made this work and has some foolproof tips to share? And yes, I realise I should’ve left it to fester in a bag for rancid pesto but my CK bras aren’t going to stretch themselves, you know.

Reactions: 17
Thats brilliant!

Reactions: 6
I presume she did think that - hence the laughing up a lung comment. And frantically getting her shed home studio organised. I imagine people on DKL were all too polite including naughty little Matt and told her she was doing a good job - and she believed it - plus the wierd twitter echo chamber. Maybe the BBC too had even assumed it might get recommissioned. Oops.
If she hasn't been asked to do more programmes by now, at this time of all times, I just can't see it happening. DKL should have been the absolute perfect showcase for her. If you have talent and/or charisma, TV execs will snap you up eg Graham Norton can thank his TV career for a week long stand-in stint on 'The Jack Doherty Show' if anyone remembers that!

I’ve seen pictures with toothpicks horizontally used to support the stumps. I think it’s to make sure it doesn’t go too deep into the water.

Reactions: 2
@Betty Neumar yes re the lettuce, literally the second you see a bit of new growth, and/or a shoot I put them in compost and it always works. My celery and pak Choi are growing like crazy from stumps, too. If you have the space I would have a go at growing from seed. You can just keep cutting and they’ll keep growing. I grow a mixture of different leaves and only cut two or three from each at a time, every 1-2 days, so I’ve got red lettuce, romaine, rocket, mustard leaves, and spinach. They do grow from the stumps but I find the flavor of things grown from stumps tends to be duller. I think something to do with the way they’ve used their energy or something. I do a bit of both because (I’m fancy) I’ve got a fair amount of space.

Reactions: 5
Try some of the japanese leaves, Mizuna is brilliant.

Reactions: 4
Thank you! Unfortunately my beautiful little (rented) flat doesn’t have any of it’s own outside space (I have been tempted to ‘claim’ a bit of ground around the back of the building but it doesn’t get much light). Maybe a small indoor planter? Got some potting compost in the cupboard... damn you fancy folk with actual gardens!! I’d kill for even a small festival space with a nutty room/trauma shed.

Reactions: 11
Lots of catching up to do, but just wanted to wish @LennyBriscoe a happy birthday! Take the day off policing the mean streets of Tattle!! Make some nice lockdown plans for later

#40 big dun-duns to you

Reactions: 8
I’ve never met someone else with it either, and I get what you mean about it being oddly nice to know others - until diagnosis I thought I was all alone in the world. Badges would be very useful!
As a fellow child sexual abuse survivor, I'm always so sad to see how bloody many of us there. Weirdly, I don't know any in "real" life.

Big love to you all xxxxxx

Reactions: 23
You can grow herbs and cut again salad leaves inside. Get a 1.5 litre bottle of water (empty of course. Cut the bottle and poke a few holes in the bottom of the bottle. Fill with composts, sprinkle leaves or herbs on the soil and Bob's your uncle.

Reactions: 13
I had a look at the other competitors in the “inspiration” section and I have to say that ALL of them - apart from Jack - are doing really impressive PRACTICAL stuff, like running cookery courses to promote healthy eating (£1 meals from fresh, healthy ingredients) for those facing poverty; food education for children, including kids sharing recipes from their different heritages (the My World Kitchen videos are so cute!); arranging donations of surplus food to charities and community groups; and providing free meals and meal kits to families at risk of hunger due to Covid-19. It actually is inspiring and well worth looking them up to see what they’re doing.
Whereas Jack will donate her deadly books to foodbanks, but only if you buy them (so she benefits). Unless there’s something else she’s doing that I’m unaware of.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.