Jack Monroe #17 The shed is dead, shaved her head, on the beg for a left-hand Smeg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to work somewhere incredibly cool & trendy where the majority of juniors were on SHOCKING wages, like they had to be heavily subsidised by parents to live there was simply no other way. This was 10 years ago, and I was there for 5, but it never ceased to amaze me how many girls wore that jumper! It’s such a uniform they all have the tiny gold hoops with it & the gold stacking necklaces, maybe some cool girl rings if they’re a bit edgier. Paired with flared Levi’s jeans and then some sort of wedge / kitten heel, now it’d probably be those Veja trainers.

I need to get into that Sali Hughes thread as I think it’ll be right up my street!
I’ve just got back into SH, I lost interest as read here and prior to that PS! The candle is disgusting. She is as unattractive a person (in personality) as JM

I went out into my garden earlier and discovered that my new #gifted peony has broken out the big guns. It was hugely cheering (I am having v low key stress, nothing serious at all, re making all good for my mum’s birthday tomorrow) and I thought some of you witches might enjoy them too. x
That is STUNNING!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve just got back into SH, I lost interest as read here and prior to that PS! The candle is disgusting. She is as unattractive a person (in personality) as JM
I had no idea about all this - I always used to quite like her make up columns when I had time to read The Guardian. Just had a peek at the last few pages of her thread. Wow.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
@LennyBriscoe i can totally identify with this, I hate pics of myself. I read that thing on Facebook that was doing the rounds about a Mum realising she wasn’t in pics, then didn’t think further about it. Not until I realised I have 1 pics of me as a Teenager (none after) of myself and my own Mum, as she died when I was 20. I really felt quite upset. So now I make sure I take pics with the kids, and try really hard noT to say anything negative about myself in front of them. My daughter loves being in pics with me and I realised I was doing it for her rather than myself x
Ah yes I’ve seen that post. I’m really going to make more effort with that. My son doesn’t care a jot what I look like and I won’t be here forever. I don’t have many pictures of me and my mum either for the same reason as you. And we’re spoiled with technology now so the only thing stopping it is me 😘😘😘

• Heart
Reactions: 13
One thing I keep thinking about JM recently is, where’s the FOOD 🧐 It pains me to type that because the dishes are grim to look at but as others have noted it really does seem the food is a vehicle for her, it’s not the thing itself.

It strikes me most whenever I see Shivi’s posts. I know it takes a lot of work to make something look effortless but it genuinely does feel like she’s showing us what she would (broadly) be doing anyway, with the extra effort to capture it for Instagram. I do believe that what she has put in her book and the dishes she showed on Saturday Kitchen are how she lives day to day.

With Jack... it’s just all so performative. The performance is the thing, she’s the star and the food is the supporting actor. What sort of meals is she currently making, is she batch cooking, what’s she had stashed in the freezer etc. Where is it?? She had a friend over yesterday, what did she make or get in for lunch etc. When she does it’s all so laboured and overwrought. The weird dishes she shares feel like they’ve been prepared for Instagram, even though it’s slop with crisps on top. Wtf.

The extracts from the book make it seem like it was having to write the book that made her cook, not the book being a reflection of what she was cooking for herself and her family.

It’s mental health week, she’s got a depressipes book out, and in her own words she been through “living hell” in the last few months. So... why isn’t she practicing what she preaches? Maybe because it’s all total bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I went out into my garden earlier and discovered that my new #gifted peony has broken out the big guns. It was hugely cheering (I am having v low key stress, nothing serious at all, re making all good for my mum’s birthday tomorrow) and I thought some of you witches might enjoy them too. x
Love love LOVE, @Flumps! My MIL, who is an amazing gardener, gave gifted (is that how we say it now?) me, accidental creator of wasteland and dead vegetation, a garden gift card months ago. Taking inspiration from you I’m going to peony myself up right nice with it. They’re just so ... effortlessly extra!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Love love LOVE, @Flumps! My MIL, who is an amazing gardener, gave gifted (is that how we say it now?) me, accidental creator of wasteland and dead vegetation, a garden gift card months ago. Taking inspiration from you I’m going to peony myself up right nice with it. They’re just so ... effortlessly extra!
They are absolutely my favourite flower. They do somewhat give meaning to the adage 'The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long' though as they don't last long in bloom, so if you have a bit of space to fill and plan to buy more than one, you might want to buy ones that flower at different stages in the season, to keep colour going longer.

Oh, and FB has just reminded me that I made a peony cake for my mum, 10 years ago today, for her 60th. Pic is a not so humble brag I'm afraid. Poor woman is getting much less pretty coffee choux buns this year, as I've at long last learnt the value of not piling endless stress on myself.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
They are absolutely my favourite flower. They do somewhat give meaning to the adage 'The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long' though as they don't last long in bloom, so if you have a bit of space to fill and plan to buy more than one, you might want to buy ones that flower at different stages in the season, to keep colour going longer.

Oh, and FB has just reminded me that I made a peony cake for my mum, 10 years ago today, for her 60th. Pic is a not so humble brag I'm afraid. Poor woman is getting much less pretty coffee choux buns this year, as I've at long last learnt the value of not piling endless stress on myself.
What an AMAZING and beautiful cake. You talented thing you X

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
You’re bossy and I like it @Flumps X
Hah. Sorry that was a bit peremptory wasn't it? But I instantly worried about you having loads of flowers for a week, then being sad about a patch of green for the rest of the summer!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sorry to hijack JM for SH, but I am incensed by this candle tit. It’s triggering, so apologies in advance.

Allen Ginsberg, Beat Poet, was a defender and member of NAMBLA, the North American Man Boy Live Association, a pro-paedophilia organisation.
I’ve just got back into SH, I lost interest as read here and prior to that PS! The candle is disgusting.

I'm nearly as outraged as when Phillip did his walk in tribute and defiance in 2017. His unmistakable footprints remain on Westminster Bridge to this day.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
You've received a lot of wonderful replies that I can’t add to so here’s a silly one - do you have an electric toothbrush? If not and you have spare money I’d recommend one. They’re lower effort and thoroughly clean your teeth, which could give you a bit of a boost and start a domino effect. I used to be so bad at dental hygiene due to poor MH but now I brush them religiously

Hope your mood improves soon x
Super late here but yes to this, also was once advised by kind soul to sit on the floor of the bath and let the shower run while using an electric toothbrush. Tooth brushing and a shower in minimal effort and exertion

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve avoided commenting on it as it’s such an inflammatory subject & I hate the triggering twitter tit so don’t want to invoke more, however: (and trigger / content warning EDs I suppose)

I find it really perverse that with her Gaily news (sp?) she was asking for bodyposi accounts to post, and hours to days later basically commenced posting thinspo of herself? Imagine if you were in recovery for ED so followed her / the GN for body posi content and end up being exposed to that? It would be highly triggering and I’m not sure why it doesn’t get called to question? I don’t like it when the Love Island lot do it before she makes out we’re witches after her, but I’m amazed that someone who professes to be so for the people is also doing it. Especially during a time where a lot of us are struggling mentally and tbh with food/activity so may have those demons circling us.

Btw I haven’t ever experienced an ED so sorry if I’m misspeaking, it is from a good place, and please do correct where applicable x
Not misspeaking at all 😊 a really thoughtful post circumnavigating the quagmire that is thinspo, body positivity, disordered eating etc. I personally don't see JM as a poster girl for thinspo and I think she's just showing off. There's deffo something going on but as I attempt to join the dots, I don't think her ED has reemerged... she still seems to have a pretty good relationship with food but her general mental health seems to be teetering on the proverbial knife edge. I don't think my moment of armchair psychology is saying anything too controversial. It really is Britney all over again 🙃😳.

Eating disorders are sneaky af. Food is EVERYTHING, life and death everything but as someone who inherently loves food but is conversely in possession of a brain that wants me to be the best at not eating, I can confidently say that JM's food makes me feel sad. I don't see any joy in her cooking, it's like she's got a wonderful ingredient and after chucking, slinging and hoping for the best, the end result is grim, the very opposite of aesthetically pleasing. She needs to rethink her modus operandi, her shtick cos that food literally sucks the pleasure out of something we have to do multiple times a day. Good Food for Bad Days? Nope. What she thought she was doing and the end result = oxymoron on acid 🤪.

Urgh for days I've been trying to cobble together enough meaningful words about disordered eating and you know when you've got the most to say but each word, turn of phrase, thought seems inferior... THAT.

F*ck it gonna post despite head being really critical and noisy 🙉🙈.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I just wanted to say thank you to those who’ve shared how hard it is at the moment. I’m a lurker and doubt I’ll ever reach the giddy heights of chatty member, but I’ve read it all.
live beenill for a few years now combined with depression. I’ve been struggling with brushing my teeth too, and because of you I’ve dragged out the unopened electric toothbrush I got for Xmas. Shiny teeth time. Thanks all.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I just wanted to say thank you to those who’ve shared how hard it is at the moment. I’m a lurker and doubt I’ll ever reach the giddy heights of chatty member, but I’ve read it all.
live beenill for a few years now combined with depression. I’ve been struggling with brushing my teeth too, and because of you I’ve dragged out the unopened electric toothbrush I got for Xmas. Shiny teeth time. Thanks all.
Welcome!! Unfortunately you’ve got to pick out an outfit for court now 😉 but please come back and let us know how it goes, the first few times you use one it’s joyous - like jetwashing a patio you feel so fresh and shiny x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Not misspeaking at all 😊 a really thoughtful post circumnavigating the quagmire that is thinspo, body positivity, disordered eating etc. I personally don't see JM as a poster girl for thinspo and I think she's just showing off. There's deffo something going on but as I attempt to join the dots, I don't think her ED has reemerged... she still seems to have a pretty good relationship with food but her general mental health seems to be teetering on the proverbial knife edge. I don't think my moment of armchair psychology is saying anything too controversial. It really is Britney all over again 🙃😳.

Eating disorders are sneaky af. Food is EVERYTHING, life and death everything but as someone who inherently loves food but is conversely in possession of a brain that wants me to be the best at not eating, I can confidently say that JM's food makes me feel sad. I don't see any joy in her cooking, it's like she's got a wonderful ingredient and after chucking, slinging and hoping for the best, the end result is grim, the very opposite of aesthetically pleasing. She needs to rethink her modus operandi, her shtick cos that food literally sucks the pleasure out of something we have to do multiple times a day. Good Food for Bad Days? Nope. What she thought she was doing and the end result = oxymoron on acid 🤪.

Urgh for days I've been trying to cobble together enough meaningful words about disordered eating and you know when you've got the most to say but each word, turn of phrase, thought seems inferior... THAT.

F*ck it gonna post despite head being really critical and noisy 🙉🙈.

I totally get what you’re saying. I have a history of disordered eating. Currently in the binge end of it, where it’s all about volume. No taste, duck texture, I’m pouring down golden syrup sandwiches. I derive no pleasure from it, it’s about being full.
When I’ve swung the other way and it’s about being empty, I’ve made the most amazing meals. Spent hours getting aromatics right, babysitting risottos and picking the right scallop from the right fishmonger. The process and thinking about it becomes all consuming. Then it goes on the bin.
In either of those circumstances I never share my food publicly. No matter if it’s a full box of coco pops or a salt baked fish, both are stemmed in such shame I couldn’t possibly share that the world.
JM’s food makes me think of fuel. Like when you see body builders eat chicken and sweet potato for the 5th time that day. It’s still disordered eating but hidden by oh I just need to hit my macros. Or I just need food for the day.
Food is so much more that that. We have such a complex relationship with food. It’s how we build relationships, how we decompress, show love. We also use it for emotional support or punish ourselves with it. Good food should spark joy. Now, we can’t eat like that all the time and we’ve all discussed the need for a stock pile for a bad day. If I buy a cook book I want something aspirational. Something for the good days. When I look at the pages I want to visualise myself happy and eating it. The version of myself who is eating and feeling content. It doesn’t have to be a 3 page complicated 8 hour to cook number. Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce is as simple as your like but my god, I’d eat it every day.
JM’s spaghetti hoops al cheesy does not invoke joy. When I think of eating like that, it’s survival. Heating up hoops and stirring in cheese is all you can muster. I do think she has a problem with food because if you love food, and have a healthy relationship with it, you don’t eat that!

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I had no idea about all this - I always used to quite like her make up columns when I had time to read The Guardian. Just had a peek at the last few pages of her thread. Wow.
Unbelievable isn’t it? I have to say Tattle has been amazing at me realising how bloody charlatans there are around. I read the Guardian a lot but I’m really starting to question them after their association with JM and SH

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Sali is a deeply unpleasant woman , read up all the threads .

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.