Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have an old copy of Elizabeth David's Italian Cookery, and that has no photos or even drawings. But she writes so well, concisely yet with lovely and loving detail, that pictures don't seem that necessary.
I'm fascinated that the pigeon botherer's sales figures are so dire. Which makes her tantrum to get Jamie Oliver's job even more audacious. I'm so pleased Channel 4 have never caved in and offered her even a micro appearance.
The pigeon botherer has just ended me.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I used to review young adult books for a bookshop magazine - so I am Pulitzer Prize winner Michiko Kakutani

• Haha
Reactions: 49
I was once in the background of a BBC Look East news report when they were filming at a stately home-type attraction. So I'm basically a journalist.
In the very, very early days of BBC digital TV, I presented part of three shows on Scottish history 🔺️ . I got asked to screentest after showing the producers around a museum as I was apparently so enthusiastic. I was only supposed to do two segments but got roped in to do a third at short notice when someone couldn't make it - I got asked back by the BBC, Jack!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 78
Tat talk. Jack's tats just look rubbish to me. Also there is a slight difference between people possibly rejecting you because you are a lesbian, black etc. or because you have actually chosen to get tattoos.
But it is not the tattoos- she does not meet my aesthetic standards in general...her unclean nails are the worst and the food presentation with the forever ugly and also unclean looking cutlery stuck into the dish plus the brown food itself is absolutely unappealing.
But what puts me off most is the grifting and drama.

It is fairly easy to say that people are rejecting you because you are e.g. gay but while there is homophobia, one has to also question own behaviour and quality standards. And you can't blackmail people into liking you. Unfortunately Jack and many others use that as a weapon. It harms the cause and people like me (lesbian), too.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
@traumatised sideboard do you think @MancBee could be in a Pet Slop Bot’s video? Then he will have done a double that others could only dream of...

ETA I once saw Neil Tennant at a gig, am I in the Pet Shop Boys now? Funny enough he was with....David Walliams!
David Walliams is a Pet Shop Boy?! That makes you both a pop star AND comedian/children’s writer/presenter, Dear Heart 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Evening, all!

1. Why is there a post about (invisible) Rainbow Chard accompanied by a photo of her clutching a pot of a thin and weedy looking Fuschia?

2. Why would somebody who reckons they water plastic plants (oh, the hilarity) and has a manky Dracaena dying in the bathroom be giving gardening advice?

3. 3011 copies. Oh, dear. We get better sales of programmes for school plays. Not quite as Oh, Dear as 89% of her Del Monte audience being there to see just how bad the Salmonella with Pineapple On Top Show was, but still, Oh, dear.

4. Do they not have corner shops where you can get all manner of cheap snacks, such as 3 packs of Korean Noodles for a pound, in Southend? Open packet, put in bowl, add boiling water, add the seasoning sachet contents, put plate on top, wander off, come back for Spicy Noodle Soup (33p) ten minutes later. I know where I live is considerably more diverse than the poshest bits by the seaside, but really?

5. Some of the Scandi cookery books are great. They look nice, there's a bit of writing, the photos are lovely, the ingredients are almost all easy to obtain (potatoes, frozen berries, flour, Rhubarb, etc) and, most importantly of all, the recipes themselves are to the point and easy to follow. Beware books on Scandi cookery written by Australians. They consist of acres or wordage about how they imagine it feels to traipse across the fresh snow in the morning whilst the Northern Lights flicker on overhead. Pages with lots of negative space are definitely what you need, as it's relaxing for the eye and the brain (also see almost every other type of instruction/information sharing. Don't give people eyestrain and a headache just trying to decipher instructions for roasting a Beetroot).

6. I have seen cookery books where I'm pretty certain that somebody different (such as a professional chef or restaurateur with their own Body of Work) has written the first, very successful one and then the subsequent ones have been cobbled together by the person whose photo is on the front cover because, for some unknowable reason, they do not appear to have the same relationship with said ghost writer professional as they did at the time the first book was published. Can't quite think of the titles right now, but give me a minute and I'm sure they'll come to me...

7. Looks like a Buff Tailed Bumblebee Queen on a Tansy. Another one of my literal niches.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
It is my turn to make diner for the people in the four flats on our side of the building today. I am making Moussaka main, with a chocolate orange trifle for pudding (sod off Jack with your manky packet crap). I am so pleased it was my turn on this day of reflection. I plate up the food and leave it on each doorstep, they then all come to the doors to collect it.

Has Jack done anything community spirited like that? No, thought not. (I am not sure the neighbours would want her food to be honest)

As I am cooking for other people, can I call myself a chef?
Can I move to Manchester?! Sounds delicious (we do a similar thing here with some aged neighbours, a small group of us take it in turns to cook for them)

• Heart
Reactions: 34
@SweetTransvestite for triangulation purposes I'm not saying I was attending the same event but in theory, had I been in attendance, I would now add BBC Look East as a workplace to my CV.
@traumatised sideboard had you been in attendance you would have been welcome to share my Fiorentina as I dined at Pizza Express in The Forum. Technically making me part of the BBC Look East presenting team AND pizza expert.

What time is the NHS/TEDx tit-show?
(More importantly is anyone brave enough to go for the hat trick?)

• Haha
Reactions: 32
I’m not a tattoo expert but a few of her tattoos look badly done to me so I wonder if that’s what people have commented on to her. I can see her bringing them up and asking people what they think and getting the shock of her life when they’re honest.
Yeah they are not great. Lots of my mates are heavy into their tattoos, make and female and they have told me over the years what to look for and what not too.

Moderately Successful??? Moderately Successful? After a while of you say it enough it becomes meaningless.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Tat talk. Jack's tats just look rubbish to me. Also there is a slight difference between people possibly rejecting you because you are a lesbian, black etc. or because you have actually chosen to get tattoos.
But it is not the tattoos- she does not meet my aesthetic standards in general...her unclean nails are the worst and the food presentation with the forever ugly and also unclean looking cutlery stuck into the dish plus the brown food itself is absolutely unappealing.
But what puts me off most is the grifting and drama.

It is fairly easy to say that people are rejecting you because you are e.g. gay but while there is homophobia, one has to also question own behaviour and quality standards. And you can't blackmail people into liking you. Unfortunately Jack and many others use that as a weapon. It harms the cause and people like me (lesbian), too.
Jack's tattoos on her forearms look kinda dirty to me - I know very little about tattoos, but don't people take into account their skin tone and the size and intensity (block of colour vs line drawing - I don't know the terminology forensically!) of the design, and its proportion to the body part, before getting it done?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Winston Churchill's mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, had a snake tattooed on her forearm. Very fashionable in late Victorian times - Edward VII and George V had tattoos too.
Years ago I saw an exhibition in the Talbot Rice gallery in Edinburgh and it was an artist that took those Royal Doulton figurines of women that used it be popular and covered them in tattoos. They looked amazing! I know it’s slightly off topic but I just think Jack’s tattoos are too heavy abs monochrome and just make her look grey...
ETA photos of the artworks I’m talking about

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
@traumatised sideboard had you been in attendance you would have been welcome to share my Fiorentina as I dined at Pizza Express in The Forum. Technically making me part of the BBC Look East presenting team AND pizza expert.

What time is the NHS/TEDx tit-show?
(More importantly is anyone brave enough to go for the hat trick?)
It's on at 7pm, and it's TWO HOURS LONG. I don't know if I can take it. All I really want to do right now is ease into my usual early evening routine of a nice big spliff and Married at First Sight (Australia). 😏

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.