Jack Monroe #162 She slightly undercooked her pasta and lost her slot

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a little OT, and I want to make it clear that I am not referring to any particular incident. However, that Jay Rayner tweet - and so many others like it, which mention women being scared but not what we're scared of - really pissed me off. Feel free to skip over this if you like (my point is neither gentle nor nuanced, sorry).

If I could encourage you all to make one change in the way you discuss violence against women and girls, it would be this: use the active, rather than passive, voice. Women are killed makes it seem like some unseen force is killing us, or that it is our unlucky destiny to be killed. Men are killing women gives a far clearer idea of what the problem is.

This may seem like semantics, but it really isn't. A few reasons why:

1) When we use the passive voice, we allow room for misinterpretation. There was a huge news story here two years ago: in the Spanish state, we have a specific category of crime called gender violence, and we reached the point where 1000 men killed their partners since that category was created. Literally every news outlet reported this as 1000 women killed by their partners. I actually had a huge argument with a friend about this manner of reporting; he insisted that I was wrong, because oooh, maybe some of those partners were lesbians? None were, but by removing men from the story, the issue is obfuscated.

2) It encourages victim blaming. Language is powerful, and when we say "a woman has been raped" we are centering her in a way that is inappropriate. "A man has raped a woman" reminds us of what has actually happened.

3) Related to this: when we focus on the perpetrators, we can make progress toward a solution. Read this article to see what I mean - it neatly disspells the myth of men snapping and killing their partners out of the blue in a fit of rage. Patterns like the one highlighted here can only be identified when we look at the perpetrator, not the victim.

4) It removes vagueness. We see something very similar with racism. Last year, during the BLM protests, there was a lot of hand-wringing but not a lot of progress. That's because saying "black lives matter" or "racism is everywhere" is comfortably vague; saying "the police are racist, here's why, and here's how we can move forward" is less so. Hell, I know a guy who is a member of the Spanish fascist party whose Insta feed went from a selfie at a fascist rally to a Blackout Tuesday square - because he could happily enjoy the cognitive dissonance between the two.

Exactly the same applies to male violence. I see a lot of people saying "oh what a pity women are scared" in exactly the same way they said "racism is such a big problem" last year. Address the real issue. Take practical steps. Clearly identify the problem, and we can work towards a solution.
Oh thank you, makes perfect sense and this is really powerful stuff. Written so well I would like to pin this on SM*

*but shan't as I don't grift and it would 🔺both of us.)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Why does twitter bring the worst out in people, it's like a handful of the world's biggest gobshites all get together and talk mind numbing bollocks usually about themselves inserted into powerful interesting stories that are not theirs to be told.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Can you just imagine having a health crisis and your gobby wannabe celeb relative can't stay off twitter with attention fishing statements like 'please respect mine and my family's privacy' instead of... just not posting about it?
Exactly. It's not like she's the queen, or even a proper celeb who might have to put out a press release. Just stop posting. Especially doing the Twitter version of vaguebooking.

Reactions: 26
BE9F494D-20D7-4E49-AE85-6200920A85B4.jpeg

Ah shite, sorry. I thought it was another Spot the Difference.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
Ohhhh....unless AFAB means ‘assigned flounder at birth’? That would explain why they’re held in a kind of reverential stasis, in the freezer...
I thought it was referring to Jack's cookery, All foods are brown

• Haha
Reactions: 38
My dad died suddenly this morning- we were expecting him to gradually recover from his stroke and go home to mum, but he had a heart attack in the care home and they couldn’t revive him. He liked to argue with people online about local politics. He thought anyone who disagreed with him was a troll, like Jack does. He was a massive Tory though.

There’s nothing to do as I can’t travel to the UK because of quarantine etc. I feel a bit weird scrolling through Tattle but what are you supposed to do? The new normal is rubbish.
I'm so sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Oh dear. As I feared, she has somehow twisted this horrendous event into another “this is MY STORY (commission me, not anyone else)” moment. She is a bleeping disgrace.
Ugh, she’s such a bleeping ghoul! She really has surpassed herself this time, trying to centre herself into an extremely sad news story about the kidnap and murder of a young woman. It really is all me me me with Jack isn’t it?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.