Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I've finally lost my mind with the 47 broken foot bones. Oh Jack, you are too much!

Also, no one, I repeat, NO ONE with any cookery knowledge struggles to peel a garlic clove for TEN MINUTES. Just bash the bugger with the side of a knife.
My kids can peel garlic for goodness sake! Take the end off, then squash lightly with the blade. If you want reasonably smooshed garlic, squash harder with the blade. Takes 5 seconds. But she’s not ‘cheffy’ and that’s why she can’t peel garlic, obvs. bleeping trolls.

Reactions: 11
I have a Smeg oven (double one - fancy 😏). It's my pride and joy, after I left (escaped) my eldest son's dad it was my present to myself for my new home. It cost more than my car at the time did and I scrimped money each month to pay for it. Worth every penny to me and will always be a symbol of my independence and freedom from that relationship ❤
Can't say looking at something, knowing I got it because I was just a massive bleeping beg-a-smeg (thank you so much for that phrase 😂) would have the same feeling.
Up yours Jack.
Quite pleased with Beg-a-SMEG... maybe I’m a writer?? Might add that to my twitter bio....

Exactly, I love mine and it brings me joy. Kids laugh at how much joy it brings me ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Read the book extract and the article. In the interests of fairness, the blurry photo of Jack in the article is a nice one.

The book extract made me feel tense and irritable, reminding me of horrible stressful school/work mornings. Not really what you want when you're not feeling your best for whatever reason.

Anyway, I have a radical solution for SB breakfasts. Buy him some cereal and let him help himself! It's not all sugary crap. That's what mine was doing at SB's age. You could even make it into a recipe if you like .

Reactions: 9
FFS there's only 26 bones in the foot, trust Jack my-black-cat's-blacker-than-your-black-cat Monroe to break 47 of them 😂
I came off my motorbike once, slid down the road with it, a fair distance, my foot completely stuck underneath it, and only managed to break one bone out of an available 26. I'm such a slacker.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
My kids can peel garlic for goodness sake! Take the end off, then squash lightly with the blade. If you want reasonably smooshed garlic, squash harder with the blade. Takes 5 seconds. But she’s not ‘cheffy’ and that’s why she can’t peel garlic, obvs. bleeping trolls.
1589885153900.png

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Aww she’s not going to be around as she’s limiting her Twitter use. Yep, and I’m the Queen of Sheba
B9150572-24F9-4B5D-823A-231EF8A30F96.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 13
And coming from someone who only uses stock pits when she’s being fancy, you would think a Smeg wouldn’t be her cup of tea at all
We should make a list of what Jack does and doesn't define as fancy or too expensive. Here's what I've got so far

FANCY
Capers
Fresh lemon
Stock pots
Cream teas
Houses with more than one story
Paying staff during lockdown
Testing recipes

NOT FANCY
Capers again, somehow
Smeg products
Burberry coats
Penhaligon's perfume
Visiting the Groucho
Having three freezers
Trips to Devon in the Land Rover

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
We should make a list of what Jack does and doesn't define as fancy or too expensive. Here's what I've got so far

FANCY
Capers
Fresh lemon
Stock pots
Cream teas
Testing recipes

NOT FANCY
Capers again, somehow
Smeg products
Burberry coats
Penhaligon's perfume
Visiting the Groucho
Having three freezers
Not fancy - saffron

Reactions: 3

FANCY
Capers
Fresh lemon
Stock pots
Cream teas
Testing recipes

NOT FANCY
Capers again, somehow
Smeg products
Burberry coats
Penhaligon's perfume
Visiting the Groucho
Having three freezers
Oh, good one! To the not fancy list, I'd add: owning a Tracey Emin, Cath Kidston bags, Russell & Bromley shoes, Zweisel glassware, Laguiole cutlery and Roberts (or maybe Marshall?) radios. Although to be fair, the household stuff could be Louisa's.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
That is just weird. In October she couldn't tell her child to sort him self out a bowl of cereal, but a few weeks ago she wanted him to learn cookery, bedmaking, using power tools, and basic accounting, or whatever else was on that stupid list.
Radical suggestion, spread peanut butter on roll. Breakfast done.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Aww she’s not going to be around as she’s limiting her Twitter use. Yep, and I’m the Queen of Sheba
View attachment 133560
Didn’t the last time she tried to ‘limit Twitter’ end up two hours later with her in a candlelit bath? Or her with a new haircut and reversed rat’s tail? Or her posing in a baggy crop top and midriff rocking a ‘what, this old thing?’ vibe?

Me confused as to what time away from Twitter means.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Eh? Can someone help me out here, I didn’t realise fridges were designed for left/right handed people. I thought they opened in the way that they do with the handle on the side it’s on to fit in to the kitchen.

I have a fridge that I can change the side of the handle but always thought it was so it would fit in with the design of the kitchen...if that makes sense?

I have had owned two houses and the fridges in each have opened on different sides but that’s due to the kitchen layout not my dominant hand.
Oh just duck OFF, Jack!

View attachment 133560

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Eh? Can someone help me out here, I didn’t realise fridges were designed for left/right handed people. I thought they opened in the way that they do with the handle on the side it’s on to fit in to the kitchen.

I have a fridge that I can change the side of the handle but always thought it was so it would fit in with the design of the kitchen...if that makes sense?

I have had owned two houses and the fridges in each have opened on different sides but that’s due to the kitchen layout not my dominant hand.
My fridge has a ‘left hand hinge’ (I’m right handed) as it’s in the corner of my kitchen

I don’t think there’s a better illustration of how much of a non-issue this is than the fact I’ve only just noticed this after reading her tweet

Left handed people have to learn to do most things in a right handed way. I’ve a left handed friend who learnt to play a standard guitar, yet Jack can’t manage to open a fridge

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
My fridge has a ‘left hand hinge’ (I’m right handed) as it’s in the corner of my kitchen

I don’t think there’s a better illustration of how much of a non-issue this is than the fact I’ve only just noticed this after reading her tweet

Left handed people have to learn to do most things in a right handed way. I’ve a left handed friend who learnt to play a standard guitar, yet Jack can’t manage to open a fridge
Its like when flanders opened up the Leftorium in the Simpsons 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 13
The garlic 'tip' alongside her flowery worded replacements (like when she bangs on about replacing tannins and citrus in recipes to show off she knows words rather than helping the home cook) only goes to make people think you need to understand lots of jargon and have tips and tricks up your sleeve to make a dinner.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.