Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just read some of the book intro, Christ it's like she just threw a Thesaurus of Wretched Depressing Words at it. Reads horribly and seems like she's just used it as another opportunity to drive home just how 'ill' she is and how hard she has it. There's nothing comforting, or reassuring in that at all.

I have severe depression, that culminates in cyclic episodes, approximately every 4-6 weeks (it's one of a couple of disorders but I won't go all Monroe on you). One of my go tos when things are bad is to chuck Ina Garten on the telly 😂. She's warm and comforting and non triggering. Watching her cook chicken for Jeffery is a nice simple distraction for a bit 😂. Reading Jack's words gives me the opposite feeling.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I have severe depression, that culminates in cyclic episodes, approximately every 4-6 weeks (it's one of a couple of disorders but I won't go all Monroe on you). One of my go tos when things are bad is to chuck Ina Garten on the telly 😂. She's warm and comforting and non triggering. Watching her cook chicken for Jeffery is a nice simple distraction for a bit 😂. Reading Jack's words gives me the opposite feeling.
Yes that is so true - when you feel wretched you don't always want more misery but little rays of uncomplicated pleasure and comfort (not always the case I know). For the same reasons I turn to children's books eg Harry Potter instead of stuff that makes me think too much.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Beg-a-Smeg, bleeping deceased 😂😂😂 I did a @Bellybutton lint and actually snorked... So hard it actually hurt a little ffs 😂

So going back to this nonsense about being left handed and not being able to have that particular fridge because its not lefthanded (what she really means is they won't give it her for free 😂 and it's maybe outnof her budget ) I have two fridges, dont come for me 😂😂 not as fancy as Jack remember she has 3 of everything and I only have 2, just 2 I mean how is that fair 😭.... Anyway my small built in fridge in the kitchen has the hinge on the left, the other fridge has the hinge on the right, and despite being right handed and not at all ambidextrous I somehow manage to open both fridges with absolutely zero issues.... Would also like to point out that, the pictures from daily kitchen that someone has of her fridge freezer in her kitchen have the hinge on the right meaning she most likely uses her right hand to open the fridge so even her current one isn't a lefty? So wtf is she going on about?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm left handed and there are a few things in life that bother me. My sink for example would suit me more if the drying rack was to my right not left but that's the design of the kitchen not a world wide conspiracy. Cant open tins either unless it's with a magic can opener. But opening a fridge?! Never even considered it.

Reactions: 4
Thanks for all the fridge responses, for a minute I thought I was missing out on some basic knowledge...how foolish of me. I should know by now it’s just Jack moaning life more complicated than necessary.

I'm left handed and there are a few things in life that bother me. My sink for example would suit me more if the drying rack was to my right not left but that's the design of the kitchen not a world wide conspiracy. Cant open tins either unless it's with a magic can opener. But opening a fridge?! Never even considered it.
I’m sorry but you aren’t like Jack. The poor soul doesn’t just need the hinge to be at the correct side for her, she also has to contend with her arthritis; ADHD; insomnia; 46 broken foot bones; a rat’s tail; a crappy bungalow; being a vegan/not being a vegan; being trans/not trans.... please do not compare yourself

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Didn’t the last time she tried to ‘limit Twitter’ end up two hours later with her in a candlelit bath? Or her with a new haircut and reversed rat’s tail? Or her posing in a baggy crop top and midriff rocking a ‘what, this old thing?’ vibe?

Me confused as to what time away from Twitter means.
A reversed rat's tail, oh my god 😂

Je suis morte 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Beg-a-Smeg, bleeping deceased 😂😂😂 I did a @Bellybutton lint and actually snorked... So hard it actually hurt a little ffs 😂

So going back to this nonsense about being left handed and not being able to have that particular fridge because its not lefthanded (what she really means is they won't give it her for free 😂 and it's maybe outnof her budget )

Not that ‘Smeggate’ has any redeeming features, but I read it as her preferring / needing a left-sided hinge as a right-sided one would leave only a fridge width opening with it being placed next to a protruding wall to the left. A left-sided hinge would give better and wider access, rather than reading it as being awkward to open if left-handed.

There rests the case for the Defence, m’lud. Please forgive me. Tattle.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
You are such influencers. I’m now looking at how I can fit a range in my fitted kitchen. Might need to rip a cupboard out. I’m away armed with my tape measure.

• Heart
Yes that is so true - when you feel wretched you don't always want more misery but little rays of uncomplicated pleasure and comfort (not always the case I know). For the same reasons I turn to children's books eg Harry Potter instead of stuff that makes me think too much.
It's podcasts for me. Podcasts about food or comedy, or preferably a mix of the two. They are like company I don't need to talk to.

• Heart
It's podcasts for me. Podcasts about food or comedy, or preferably a mix of the two.
Yes, the same here. I really like (not that anyone asked)
-the Adam buxton podcast
-Louis theroux grounded
-answer me this
-off menu
-table manners (though I think they're a bit sycophantic at times)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Yes, the same here. I really like (not that anyone asked)
-the Adam buxton podcast
-Louis theroux grounded
-answer me this
-off menu
-table manners (though I think they're a bit sycophantic at times)
Podcast lists are good....

I love all those, especially Buckles, although agree re criticism of Table Manners, best episodes are the ones where they get disruptive guests, Mel and Sue were great recently.

Comedy:

Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown (try the ones labelled Slamdown first, there are other formats on their feed, but the Slamdowns are the best)
The The One Show Show - an in depth dive into The One Show, analysing it in the style that other podcasts use for things like The West Wing and The Walking Dead. So funny.
Finger on Buzzers - podcast about quizzes with Lucy Porter and Jenny Ryan (off of The Chase)
RHLSTP - Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast.
My Mate Bought A Toaster - Celebs Amazon purchases analysed.
The Horne Section Podcast - just wonderful
The Birthday Game (with Richard Osman) - not been updated for a while, but a lot of fun. Just guessing how old celebs are, but it works.
Elis James and John Robins - 5 live show and currently Isolation Tapes too.

Food:

Out to Lunch (currently In For Lunch) with Jay Rayner
The Kitchen Cabinet (more Jay)
Hoovering

Oh totally. I know everyone's experience of depression is different and I know that I am talking about a period of my life when I was in the midst of a full on breakdown that had been 20 years in the making, but still. I managed to make my child food, and it was the bare minimum that I could manage, things that could be shoved in the oven and taken out 20mins later, so I didn't have to smell it cooking or stand over it. I'd eat toast or cereal. And sometimes I'd order a takeaway, as long as it could be done on Just Eat, and by the time it turned up, I was often too fraught at the thought of it to eat it and my part of it would go into the fridge until I could deal with it the next day. I'd go to supermarkets to try and buy food and end up just standing in an aisle, feeling entirely overwhelmed, let alone shopping with an actual recipe in mind. I once had to ring a friend who had to guide me round the supermarket and out of the door. And I know, I know this is at the extreme end of things, but I'm sure plenty of people have similar stories. This book is SO far removed from my experience. I just don't get who it's going to help.

These days, if I have a bad day (and I am not talking anything as bad as I was) I retreat into my well-worn pattern of things I've cooked for 20+ years, or dig something out of the freezer. Stuff that I can do without thinking about, because I know I need to eat properly, but I need to manage what energy I assign to that process. It's not a time to pick up a new book and try and work out a new recipe, however simple it is.

I just don't get who this is aimed at.

Yes. The mess thing is so crucial. Even a dirty saucepan felt too much some days.
Thank you. This eloquently sums up everything I have an issue with in regards to this book.

This whole concept is poorly thought out (and from the snippets you guys have posted this morning) also poorly executed. Seems to me like this is another way to a: make her somewhat relevant, b: make money off of vulnerable people, c: get woke points from her synchophants for feeding/inspiring the depressed.

As I said before, this entire book and Jack Monroe is deceitful.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My suggestion for a funny podcast is Dear Joan & Jericha. It’s Julia Davis and Vicki Pepperdine and they’re fake agony aunts. I promise it is PISS FUNNY. I laughed out loud a lot.
Off to find it.
The first thing I saw Vicki Pepperdine in was Getting On with Jo Brand and Joanna Scanlon, haven't watched it for ages, going to search Netflix etc to see if it's available anywhere. She is fab.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Off to find it.
The first thing I saw Vicki Pepperdine in was Getting On with Jo Brand and Joanna Scanlon, haven't watched it for ages, going to search Netflix etc to see if it's available anywhere. She is fab.
WATCH NIGHTY NIGHT. x1000000

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.