Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agreed, I’m surprised no vegans have called her out. Some can be a brutal lot online and attack YouTubers who just attempted veganism and didn’t try to profit from it

Vegan(ish) was released less than 5 months ago and her new non-vegan cookbook is due for release next week. She really did not give a tit about veganism
I did an online search for vegan cookbooks and hers ranks highly. I’d be so pissed off if I purchased a vegan book which included meat, no idea how she’s got away with it.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
Reactions: 5
Oddly enough I think how vocal vegans can be helped her because it fired up her followers to be just as if not more vociferous in return. She seems to do very well under extreme pressure like that - she goes into keyboard warrior defence mode and loves angrily talking about herself. If that fails revert to something something mental health something trolls something privilege. She knows the buttons the press.

It’s also why these threads confound her - her shadiness being exposed brick by brick is not anything she can counter with angry word salad.
It's so infuriating. But I can't argue with those idiots.

JM posted an image of her and her son drinking soya or almond milk with the caption that there was no cruelty in their house. I hate those types of posts, I don't think they entice anyone who isn't vegan to try plant milks and just make the poster sound smug. The not so subtle subtext is 'I'm a caring individual, whereas you are a cruel monster'.

The problem is, once you have chosen to look into the dairy industry and decided that it is cruel, how can you go back from that so enthusiastically? The amount of butter she puts in everything, it's crazy! I get it, being vegan isn't easy for everyone and I am genuinely delighted by anyone who tries to include more plants in their diet. But don't go full-on preachy 'it's all for the animals' and then change your mind a few months later. It genuinely makes no sense at all. I am vegan because of the animals and it's a strongly held belief of mine. I don't think it is ethical to eat animals. I'm happy to disagree with the vast majority of the population on this and I absolutely can be friends with people who don't hold that belief. But I find it bleeping offensive when someone claims to share that belief and then goes back on it with no explanation or remorse whatsoever.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
That recipe 😳 Spaghetti hoops are already mushy straight out of the tin, and she recommends microwaving them for two solid minutes?

I... just can’t imagine what state they would be in after that. Are these recipes tested by anyone at all prior to publication?
Most of her food could be sucked through a straw. She’s not a fan of texture.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
The only time I’ve had food that I’d imagine is worse than Jacks, is when I was in hospital having my daughter. The Portland it was not. It was seriously grim, you could hold a door open with the omelette.
Prisoners are fed better more nutritious food than that. That’s the thing, if you’re broke and have kids you want the cheapest most nutritious food. Toast and beans has fibre, carbs and protein. Chuck some chopped veg at the side if you have it.
Pasta, pesto and some frozen peas and sweetcorn. Simple is best. If people with low incomes are her target market, then they don’t have the disposable income to try peach curry.
I also take umbrage with her pricing. Yes a portion may work out at £1.20 but what supermarket is selling you 1 tbsp at a time.
Common sense would be to do a book along the lines of :
1) How to build a stock cupboard. What spices are you most going to use. How to use them. Seasoning. Oils and vinegars or alternatives.
2) Highlight the most bang for your buck in terms of food products. iE is pasta better than rice, or potatoes as a carb. Best cheap cuts of meat. The best lentil to buy that can be used in various dishes.
3) Recipes that use these Ingredients to make simple Family meals.
4) How to round up or down how many people it’s for. Is it for one ok do this but you should still make al the stock up. For 8 you should maybe add x for more depth of flavour.
5) how to turn the leftovers into another meal.
6) how to store the food you have and leftover for longevity in order to make money stretch.

No one wants a washed bean. A stew can become a Ragu with some tweaks.
People using foodbanks won’t have what she’s selling. People trying to save money and low income don’t want to waste cash. I wonder if the publishers try the recipes in her book. Her success rate seems to be one or two decent ones per book. That’s 14 over 7 books. It’s abysmal. And we’ll just skirt past the plagiarism because that’s a rant for another day.

That would be a cracking book! Can we have a round of autographed copies for the haus fraus?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I did an online search for vegan cookbooks and hers ranks highly. I’d be so pissed off if I purchased a vegan book which included meat, no idea how she’s got away with it.
At least Peta had the good sense not to list hers.
Some nice looking books there too.

duck me that’s scathing, are those two separate reviews?!

Surprised with that 100% success rate she hasn’t taken on Amazon for slander, he’s set to become a trillionaire out of covid so get in on the action hun. A fresh smeg fridge & another landrover on its way, delightful! x
Yes, 2 separate reviews from tin can cook.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
That article was incredibly eye opening. I’d always been on the believe women side of things, but Asia Argento had always given me pause... I do believe people can have bad things happen to them and have horrible experiences but also still be toxic assholes at the same time.
Same here, very interesting article as something has never sat right with regarding Asia Argento.

Luckily I know I’m not pregnant as all the food of JM’s discussed here this morning has actually made me feel so queasy 🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Who keeps 1 kilo of butter in their fridge? 3 kgs of spuds with 1 kilo of butter. Her blood must look like mud.
1589800652787.png

It certainly seems that way. Why, in Jack’s world, does food for people down on their luck (whether poverty or depression) have to be joyless fuel?
Its the woe is me thing, it's catchy.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
At least Peta had the good sense not to list hers.
Some nice looking books there too.

Yes, 2 separate reviews from tin can cook.
You’ve inspired me to have a nose, 6% of them are 1 star which is pretty good going all things considered. The 1 star section is comedy gold though, thank you, very much needed after scarcely sleeping last night. I will say in fairness when you look at the contributed photos there’s a real 50/50 split between people that have made a success of it and people who’ve created legit vomit.

THIS MAN however, has dared to insult our cult classique, the grated reconstituted meat stuff:

12D3A90A-1901-4FEA-BF40-D4B1D8A273E0.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I can't stop laughing at this 'recipe'.
What the duck?! 😂 "They will fall apart a little" - no tit! You've just washed some hoops under a tap and nuked them to death 😂
She should be sued for the use of the word 'recipe'.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
I will never understand the logic of rinsing sauce or gravy off tinned meat - why can't you just add a few herbs or spices and have it over a jacket potato (for eg)?
Rinsing things obsessively just makes me think the product will be soggy with every vestige of flavour down the plughole.

Reactions: 11
Someone a while ago said they’d read the Veganish book and it didn’t contain meat recipes, the Daily Mail just mistakenly claimed that. The Amazon preview doesn’t show the full contents I think and there’s no bookshops open for me to snoop

But regardless, she was on This Morning cooking meat LESS THAN A MONTH AFTER RELEASING A VEGAN COOKBOOK 🤦🏻‍♀️ The DM is full of stupid mistakes but I can understand why they’d assume she was promoting her new book

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Someone a while ago said they’d read the Veganish book and it didn’t contain meat recipes, the Daily Mail just mistakenly claimed that. The Amazon preview doesn’t show the full contents I think and there’s no bookshops open for me to snoop

But regardless, she was on This Morning cooking meat LESS THAN A MONTH AFTER RELEASING A VEGAN COOKBOOK 🤦🏻‍♀️ The DM is full of stupid mistakes but I can understand why they’d assume she was promoting her new book
Yes the veganish book is vegan.

It’s the bootstrap book that had the weird “contraband” chapter of meat recipes.

Jack took to twitter to complain bitterly about that review. It was so odd.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.