Jack Monroe #155 What a sad little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Off on a bit of a tangent but did anyone else hear the interview of Camilla Batmaghelichdjh on Women's Hour today on R4? She was another one who took not only charity money but government money (and loads of it) and made it disappear through her charity Kids Company by questionable and unrecorded means. Its fascinating to read about while our Jackie is on a break. I don't know what to make of it but Camilla was excellent at not answering any of the questions asked.

ETA made it made sense

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
I think a lot of Internet personalities- for want of a better word- seem to be of the Participation Trophy generation. Outraged if they don't get praise and validation for sweet FA yet can't take a minute to show gratitude to the very people who give them a platform.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
The word pantries always makes me cringe. Probably because it sounds IIle my most hated word ever that I am not even going to type
To be fair, pantries (sorry!) are very different to food banks. Scotland has created a pantry network (there’s about 6 or 7 with lots more planned) whereby you pay around £2.50 for up to £15 worth of food. It’s more dignified in that you can choose your items from 5 different food groups rather than taking what you’re given from a food bank. They are open to anyone and you can use it once a day. It’s like a social supermarket. The food is distributed by Fareshare and other community organisations (growers with excess etc) and to my mind is a great idea. It’s as much about fighting food waste as it is food poverty. But, yeah...knickers!

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Oh don't say the M word. Ugh.

The food bank I go to is free, they have all kinds of groceries and you can choose your own.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The word pantries always makes me cringe. Probably because it sounds IIle my most hated word ever that I am not even going to type
I really quite like like the word pantry! But I also have a violent loathing of the other one that I can't entirely rationalize. Is it commonly used in the UK? I knew an English fellow who used it in passing like it was perfectly standard and I think it was only then I realised just how much I hate it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Oh don't say the M word. Ugh.

The food bank I go to is free, they have all kinds of groceries and you can choose your own.
That’s brilliant! Can anyone use it? Tbh, I’m surprised JM hasn’t jumped on the pantry bandwagon. Or Olio.

Reactions: 19
Let me introduce myself according to the biographical world of Ms/Mx/Dr Monroe.

*cough

Miss/Mrs/divorcee/Ms/Mrs/Widowed
Ex insurance broker/rugby & hockey captain/Military (MP) medically discharged/mother/gardener/baker/telly watcher/twitcher/reader/sleeper

FFS Monroe, we can all play that game 🤬

• Haha
I don’t even understand the tweet.

I mean, I understand all the individual words, but...

What a way to come up with a neurodivergent diagnosis/statement of sexuality.

Weird. And damaging.
Slightly OT but I remember being in Year 6 at primary school and being a lunchtime monitor for one of the reception classes. It was a nice little job - myself and a friend would help the teacher organise bits and bobs, like worksheets, and do things like sharpening pencils. I was bullied terribly at primary school by one girl in particular and being able to eat my lunch in the peace and quiet of a classroom was a lifeline. The friend I was a lunchtime monitor with ended up being banned from the role (I think it was a punishment for her being cheeky to a teacher or something similar) so I continued doing the job alone. The teachers always used to ask me whether I wanted to be outside but how do you explain as a child that sharpening pencils is far better than someone telling you how ugly you are or leaving you out of games with the other pupils? I used to love sitting there and listening to the chatter of the teachers and TAs (I think that's why I love Radio 4 and 5live now). I found it very comforting.

Her liking that Tweet plays into the meek misunderstood mouse character. I'm sorry if that was her experience at school because I know how it feels but she can't be making out that she had NO friends at school?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 75
Anyone else feel slightly on edge?

A bit like March last year when we all knew the big lockdown announcement was coming but didn’t know what to do with ourselves until then.

There are rumblings of a chaos but is it enough for a full blown eruption?

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Slightly OT but I remember being in Year 6 at primary school and being a lunchtime monitor for one of the reception classes. It was a nice little job - myself and a friend would help the teacher organise bits and bobs, like worksheets, and do things like sharpening pencils. I was bullied terribly at primary school by one girl in particular and being able to eat my lunch in the peace and quiet of a classroom was a lifeline. The friend I was a lunchtime monitor with ended up being banned from the role (I think it was a punishment for her being cheeky to a teacher or something similar) so I continued doing the job alone. The teachers always used to ask me whether I wanted to be outside but how do you explain as a child that sharpening pencils is far better than someone telling you how ugly you are or leaving you out of games with the other pupils? I used to love sitting there and listening to the chatter of the teachers and TAs (I think that's why I love Radio 4 and 5live now). I found it very comforting.

Her liking that Tweet plays into the meek misunderstood mouse character. I'm sorry if that was her experience at school because I know how it feels but she can't be making out that she had NO friends at school?
Me too, man 😭 I wasn't bullied at primary school, but I was a really shy kid and often preferred to sit inside with the teachers and write/draw/read, as it was much more fun than idling around alone on the playground. I got forced outside anyway, presumably because the teachers wanted a break!!

• Heart
I think it means that English teachers are like those cats in hospices who can tell who is going to die next. They have an innate sense of who is neurodivergent or queer and signal it to the wider community by having lunch with you if you are. Makes perfect sense.
My English teacher once came out with the immortal line:

"I knew a boy once. Dead now. Curious."

The explanation behind this was reasonable (he had previously taught a guy who a few years later got killed), but the way he worded it was ... somewhat hilarious, in a warped way.

And I'm both neurodivergent (Asperger's Syndrome) and queer (I've been openly bi since I was 13), and never had dinner with any of my teachers.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
That’s brilliant! Can anyone use it? Tbh, I’m surprised JM hasn’t jumped on the pantry bandwagon. Or Olio.
It's free if you have a healthcare or pension card( I'm in Oz). They also pay for prescriptions, petrol and offer showers etc. for rough sleepers.

You know, if Jack stopped shouting and listened, this is how people down on their luck want to be treated. She could easily ask her followers what would make hard times easier- maybe help start a charity that gives people dignity and a bit of hope.

• Heart
The thing is the squiggles have said she is everywhere at the minute and I guess she is, but she's still not really gotten any traction apart from her name mentioned in no more than a passing gesture. She has to gesticulate herself by retweeting her name and shouting look at me in order to gain any sort of notice. It just really to sad to think someone who has worked for a decade in the industry is still only making waves in a very quiet corner of the internet.
She may have 100000 of followers but very few actually engage with her, her name is dropped by the media then quickly forgotten until they need her again. She constantly as to tell people about her body of work as many people don't actually know what the actual duck she does. From a fame and professional point of view it doesn't look good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Me too, man 😭 I wasn't bullied at primary school, but I was a really shy kid and often preferred to sit inside with the teachers and write/draw/read, as it was much more fun than idling around alone on the playground. I got forced outside anyway, presumably because the teachers wanted a break!!
I know exactly what you mean! Funnily enough, my dad is a teacher (🔺) and I think he has mixed feelings about pupils being in his classroom. When he's stressed, he'll ask the pupils to leave, but if he's in a good mood, I think he often talks to them about music and regales them with tales of his youth and, of course, tells them horrific dad jokes (which would probably make them leave anyway, some of them are horrendous lol!)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.