Jack Monroe #155 What a sad little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Attended a talk by her and she speaks of vulnerable children in the same way Jack does tbh, like patronising and very inappropriate. It was quite uncomfortable and it did strike me as a little odd because usually people from “social care” (dunno if that’s the right word soz?) backgrounds have such a better vocab for describing issues kids may face from all their ongoing training? I’d assumed it was because she was ultimately just a rich woman with a charity pet project speaking to people she wanted donations / ongoing partnerships from but yeah 😬 not surprised to hear that!
I've never heard of this person so I had a quick look and my gosh. I would have been scared of her as a kid.

ETA auto carrot

Reactions: 16
I've a photo somewhere of me sitting in the pilot's seat of an RAF Nimrod on patrol when they kindly let me have a go at doing a few turns (the co-pilot was in real control!). By Jack's standard, I'm an experienced pilot; I've already done more bloody firefighting than her in two days on a course.
I had a Saturday job in Superdrug, so I hope everyone's grateful for the covid vaccine I developed. 💉

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Wonder if Jack can make use of all the medicine packets once she decants her pills into all the confusing compartments in her bathroom cabinet?
20210225_142553.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Saw this darling wee old bird on a walk to the playground today. Even with baby strapped to me, I took a moment to mourn this untimely passing of this rare creature.

Jack, have you succumbed to your lipstick rash? Are you tunnelling a way to Scotland (in the words of the great Lawrence Chainey, “Get fucked!”)?Are your lockdown bubbles going to pop?
5E87155A-8E95-44D2-AF1A-C1347005567B.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
I’m an interior designer, architect and personal stylist. I have decades of experience from studying The Sims.

I’m also so grateful for the knowledgeable fraus on this thread. In 24 hours I’ve learnt about butter pie and an alternative meaning for otters.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
To be fair, pantries (sorry!) are very different to food banks. Scotland has created a pantry network (there’s about 6 or 7 with lots more planned) whereby you pay around £2.50 for up to £15 worth of food. It’s more dignified in that you can choose your items from 5 different food groups rather than taking what you’re given from a food bank. They are open to anyone and you can use it once a day. It’s like a social supermarket. The food is distributed by Fareshare and other community organisations (growers with excess etc) and to my mind is a great idea. It’s as much about fighting food waste as it is food poverty. But, yeah...knickers!
I'm in Scotland and our local volunteering centre has put together a "sharing shed" which sounds very similar. More like reducing waste and added benefit of helping with poverty. However because of covid they haven't been able to take donations off of members of the public so the sharing bit hasn't really came into it so far and it is a little bit like a food bank as we get stuff from fareshare etc.
-----

Also just to keep it on topic, I was the Saturday girl at a butcher's and I have won awards for unrelated things so I guess I'm an award winning butcher?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
I’m an interior designer, architect and personal stylist. I have decades of experience from studying The Sims.

I’m also so grateful for the knowledgeable fraus on this thread. In 24 hours I’ve learnt about butter pie and an alternative meaning for otters.
Convinced this is going to be me when I next have to jazz up my CV and make myself seem vastly more talented

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Well said.

There are also other issues with he foodbank use that are problematic, namely that she seemingly never really needed to use one at all. This can be treacherous ground and I don't want anyone to mistake me for a Tory nutjob, so this may be long.

In the early threads here there were several posters who suggested she could have always had help from mum and dad. At the time, many of us (me included) said this was unfair and we didn't know whether she was estranged plus benefits don't work that way. You either are entitled to them based on your situation or not and that's quite right and fair (assuming that the system is fair, which of course it isn't, but that's not really the point here).

Anyway, over the course of studying for my honorary double doctorate in Monroe-studies, I've come to the conclusion that my initial defense of her was wrong. I don't know if her family are loaded, wealthy, or just 'ok', but from everything that has been dug up on her, it is clear that at no point was she estranged from her family and that her family's financial situation seems to have been comfortable enough to feed and quite possibly house her and her son. Not using that option was a choice she made. I don't have an issue with her making that choice, but the fact that she has built her entire career on pretending she didn't have that choice is wrong.

She says so much in what she leaves out of her story and relies on her dear readers to fill in the gaps. I, like many others, used to fill in the gaps with what was implied but never stated (father of her child abandoned them, family didn't care, etc.). She is a skilled liar and manipulator. That's what she should put in her bio.
I genuinely want to stand up and applaud this whole thing!!! Very, very well said!

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Thinking back to the sainsburys ad that Jack did with SB? Was that her kitchen or a studio one? It was a big kitchen!

Reactions: 21
How was it clearly not her house though? Was there a banner at the bottom of the screen ( in all caps) advising that this is NOT JACK'S HOUSE?

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.