Jack Monroe #155 What a sad little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She has very tall gums.

Anyone interested in synaesthesia info there is a UK based website run by researchers which offers a battery of tests plus feedback. I hope it's still going, I would have contacted them around 2015 if memory serves?
The quantity of gum is really upsetting to me.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 33
She talks about being 17 and buying herself a suit in the mens department of shops, where "bemused middle aged men harrumphed into their tape measure". This would be in 2005, so the middle aged men would have been teenagers in the 80's, not the 50's.

Pushing the gender boundaries was at its height in the 80's what with the likes of Annie Lenox and Boy George. Women's trouser suits were everywhere. In 2005 gender non conformity was being talked about, Hayley Cropper was in Corry for goodness sake.

Of course it is quite possible that an individual sales assistant would find it strange that she wanted a man's suit for herself. But I doubt they would harrumph if they thought they could get a sale! It is also odd that she never comes across the helpful assistant she always gets the judgemental unhelpful and bigoted one one.

I know my experiences reflect being brought up in a big city, and Manchester in the 60's, 70's and 80's was particularly accepting of alternative lifestyles. But the way she writes about her experiences just don't ring true. They sound like someone telling a story, not recounting true life events. They all sound like she lived in a backwater in the 1950's.
'They sound like someone telling a story..'
Agreed.
These are stories she's heard from someone else.
Probably the older friends of Allegra and she's appropriated them.

Reactions: 35
Hoping the teeth convo is still ongoing, I just counted mine - 26! Where are the rest?! Never had a removal and have no gaps either, my mouth is pretty full - where are the rest of you dear hearts?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
My wisdom tooth extraction experience aged 29 , while wondering why I felt so nauseous 5 days after general anaesthetic, I found out I was pregnant with our rainbow baby! ...she's 27 now and has wonderful teeth ( although required extensive orthodontic treatment as a teenager)
both my daughters love wearing men's clothes and have recently raided husband's retro wardrobe for some 80's blazers!

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I don't know guys, she can't really control how much gum she has and criticising that makes me uncomfortable. Plus it gives her ammunition for calling us bullies.

You can definitely tell she's had filler though, which is very disingenuous when claiming poverty...

• Heart
Reactions: 95
I don't know guys, she can't really control how much gum she has and criticising that makes me uncomfortable. Plus it gives her ammunition for calling us bullies.

You can definitely tell she's had filler though, which is very disingenuous when claiming poverty...
This is true, I do apologise. I'm not normally one to criticise appearances.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Sorry again, I know I'm like totally out-of-tune with what everyone else is discussing but I looked up her old publisher and in their little bio, they've got examples of their work. It includes Jamie Oliver, Nadiya Hussain, Marian Keyes, Mrs Hinch and Giovanna and Tom Fletcher. Just FYI!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Is seeing people as colours part of Synesthesia? Because I've seen people that way my whole life. Guess what colour Jack is to me 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 27
All this teeth talk, I've only got 24, 12 top, 12 bottom. I had some taken out as a child for orthodontic work. The wisdom teeth came out in my 20's. But I've still got a gobfull.

Either I have a very small mouth (doubtful) or very big teeth 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
View attachment 456098
Did she shop at Grace Brothers? She'd have been down the thrift store charity shop if she'd had any nous, or buying from the kids dept as she's such a smol pixie.

Also, for the Troothers...
View attachment 456105
Excellent. Been counting the teefs. She has at least 14 on the top and at least 15 on the bottom. She probably has more at the back. She's lying about getting 6 teeth out and has a normal amount of teeth.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Is seeing people as colours part of Synesthesia? Because I've seen people that way my whole life. Guess what colour Jack is to me 😂
Lmao. There are are around 77 different types of the condition, everyone is different.

Jack, hmmm. I'm thinking one of her recipe colours. I'll say baby poo.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I only have 24?! Who stole the rest? I have my 4 wisdom teeth out all at once in my early 20s that was not fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
So ... it must have been Penguin she's accusing of transphobia and theft, given that's her only other publisher other than the one she's with now?
No, her former agent was the thief, not her publisher.

In terms of publishers, I think Penguin dropped her because her second book flopped (the great unwashed were not ready for the maverick concept of seasonal eating). A new, unnamed publisher picked her up, allegedly dropped her due to transphobia, then she did her Kickstarter and got picked up by her latest publisher.

Reactions: 31
That transphobia story is so ridiculous. Maybe a small publisher with strong religious values. Other than that they are looking at profit for themselves.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.