Jack Monroe #155 What a sad little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Which ‘gents outfitters’ was she shopping in to be tutted at by a gent with a tape measure? This must’ve been the 90’s surely? In the early 90’s it was fashionable to wear really baggy clothes and as a ‘raver’ I embraced this. Bought my clothes (4 sizes too big 🙄) from Aflecks palace, Topman, Benneton etc. Was never given a second glance. This is the sort of bullshit I can’t abide. Just lies that could so easily be challenged if she dropped it into an IRL conversation but she gets away with it when it’s in print/online. I’d love her to do a Q&A!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
I recently threw away my 90s ravers jeans and parachute trousers - just before they all came back in but I don’t quite fit into them as I did back them *sigh* I lived in adidas shell toes, baggy jeans and hoodies at uni. Didn’t think it was a masculine aesthetic, just comfy and anonymous.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
'I was fit, I looked like this'

What sorta like I do now and I'm not currently fit? 😂

A few years ago I got pretty fit. I could do pull ups unassisted and deadlift 85kg (most I ever managed but I'm SMOL) and my body didn't look like this. You could see muscles and tit. She's bleeping ridiculous.

I know all kinds of bodies can be fit but she's not got loads of meat on her. So if you were fit.....we would be able to see some evidence of that.

#muscletruther
Agree! Pre lockdown pre being carer I also was much fitter, Jack appears to confuse strong with thin. And if you were trying to appear to be strong you would flex 💪🏻 , nothing wrong with showing off muscle you have worked for

Reactions: 31
She’s really young remember, born in 1988, so never even a teenager in the 1990s. I think Fire service was 2007-11, weird that she had this job at 19/20 #nepotism. I can’t remember what the fashion was then but I had 2 smol tiny children and wore crocs and Boden like a wanker,

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Jack not attending the passing out parade in a skirt, while she had signed up for the dress code is so typical. Not wanting to experience any consequencs of commitments she signed up to.

I am not a skirt person at all, and there is an argument to make that its weird to prescribe only skirts to women. But she handles it so poorly, thinking she makes a point by not attending a special event. While actually demonstrating she is not cut out for a job where you have to put your ego aside and put yourself in service of the team or others. Good for you if you want to express yourself through clothes and appearances, nothing wrong with that. I just don't think the fire service suits you then though.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Sorry, I have scrolled through most of the teeth chat as I hate TEEF and dentists and stuff, but I seem to recall that way back when she was using the teeving necklaces, that she was all like DON'T TELL ME TO GO TO THE DENTIST, I KNOW WHAT THIS IS, IT'S TOTALLY TO DO WITH MY ADHD AND MY COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOUR, etc. So it turns out that it's just a common or garden infection that she's had for 2 years and needed to see the dentist for? Who could possibly have predicted that lol?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 59
It is so hard to keep up on here. This pic seems out of date now but someone posted a jacket reminder the other day (slow news day). I found this, def seen the pic on here before but not sure about the article.

Fellow adult compacted wisdom tooth sufferer here, no clawing and crying in pain but got it removed, antibiotics, still went to work but slept very well afterwards. She’s such a liar m’lud.
A very interesting (and probably more accurate version) on why her publisher dropped book 3. She says in the article that they dropped her, she had just come out as transgender and they wanted her to use the 'A girl called Jack' brand and she didn't.

Since then she has repeatedly said (or implied) that it was transphobic for her publisher to drop her. I've seen squiggles say it and she NEVER corrects them. But this doesn't sound transphobic to me at all. It's a branding decision and if you brand yourself as something and then you change (totally fine, totally your own decision) but someone hired you specifically because of your brand, then that is just a business decision. Her brand was very much smol, doe-eyed, poor young mum.

A bit like if Nigella, after her success as 'the domestic goddess' decided to shave her head and go budget bean blogger and her publisher said, no, we gave you the deal based on you looking the way you do, writing the way you do and presenting the type of food you do.

Or Jamie not getting a book deal about molecular cuisine wearing a three-piece suit and a top hat, after his initial 'naked chef' series, which was all about fresh, simple, everyday cooking in scruffy jeans and hoodies.

I get that it's frustrating for writers, artists, musicians, etc. if they want to do something different and their publisher wants to pigeon-hole them, but it is not transphobic.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Realise the discussion has moved on a bit but I took an interest in Camilla Batmanghelidjh / Kids Company etc. Having read 3 interviews with 3 different journalists at different times I noticed a common feature. Each interview was interrupted by an urgent phone call from a severely upset kids co client who would only speak to CB.
Funny that...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
She’s really young remember, born in 1988, so never even a teenager in the 1990s. I think Fire service was 2007-11, weird that she had this job at 19/20 #nepotism. I can’t remember what the fashion was then but I had 2 smol tiny children and wore crocs and Boden like a wanker,
Babe, same. I also had big and smol children in the 2000s and I also wore Boden (like every other middle class wanker mum 😂), as did my aforementioned children. In fact, my now nineteen year old daughter still fits into one of her fabulous Boden coats I bought her when she was eight!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
I’m triangulating myself massively here but my dad was a firefighter (a station officer, in the old terms. I think maybe that’s what Jack’s dad was too?) AND he was a union rep too. (I promise Jack’s dad is not my dad. My dad is very left-wing and anti-landlord)

Things I have got from my dad being a fireman; respect for the role, some really gruesome stories, unlimited fire engine rides throughout the 1980s.

Things I have not got from my dad being a fireman; LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE TO DO WITH BEING A FIREMAN - MY GOD WOMAN ARE YOU CRAZY?
What do you mean? You don't have innate fireman abilities?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
"I have almost finished that book...a little later than anticipated"

Article from September 2016.

Cooking on a Bootstrap was published in August 2018.

...Jack?!
Wasn't it around 2016/17 that Jack was posting all those photos of makeup in Lego boxes on Facebook?

• Haha
Reactions: 32
I have thirty two teeth! I feel special! Though my husband just woke up and found me poking round my mouth and didn’t seem to think ‘counting my teeth’ was a normal answer...
Talking of teeth .... without 🔺myself I just have to say that full wraparound x-rays of kids teeth (like you have at the orthodontist) make my trypophobia start twitching and make me feel a bit weird 😂 and I don’t like that I just had to google the word for fear of holes in things and it bought up a load of pictures 😬🙃

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
PSX_20210226_082946.jpg

Did she shop at Grace Brothers? She'd have been down the thrift store charity shop if she'd had any nous, or buying from the kids dept as she's such a smol pixie.

Also, for the Troothers...
PSX_20210226_084542.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 52
Positional synaethesia here, I see the year, seasons and months as a circle in front of my body with different colours and I recall events by what colour and whereabouts in relation to my body So for example i started a new job in a yellow month so I know that would be April time and is near my ear. Yes, I’m aware I sound like a lunatic. I only recently explained this to my husband and he informed me it is a type of synasthesia.
I've got this too! I had no idea it was a thing! My year is a strange shape and I know where we are by the 'nook' of the shape that we are in. February is short and straight and we are just about to take a sharp left turn into wide, meandering March. Off to consult Google. (note to self: update Twitter bio)

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.