Jack Monroe #155 What a sad little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A very interesting (and probably more accurate version) on why her publisher dropped book 3. She says in the article that they dropped her, she had just come out as transgender and they wanted her to use the 'A girl called Jack' brand and she didn't.

Since then she has repeatedly said (or implied) that it was transphobic for her publisher to drop her. I've seen squiggles say it and she NEVER corrects them. But this doesn't sound transphobic to me at all. It's a branding decision and if you brand yourself as something and then you change (totally fine, totally your own decision) but someone hired you specifically because of your brand, then that is just a business decision. Her brand was very much smol, doe-eyed, poor young mum.

A bit like if Nigella, after her success as 'the domestic goddess' decided to shave her head and go budget bean blogger and her publisher said, no, we gave you the deal based on you looking the way you do, writing the way you do and presenting the type of food you do.

Or Jamie not getting a book deal about molecular cuisine wearing a three-piece suit and a top hat, after his initial 'naked chef' series, which was all about fresh, simple, everyday cooking in scruffy jeans and hoodies.

I get that it's frustrating for writers, artists, musicians, etc. if they want to do something different and their publisher wants to pigeon-hole them, but it is not transphobic.
So it must be the same publisher who dropped her due to their 'transphobia', who she later accused of stealing money from her? Must be quite a lot of bad blood there.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
She has very tall gums.

Anyone interested in synaesthesia info there is a UK based website run by researchers which offers a battery of tests plus feedback. I hope it's still going, I would have contacted them around 2015 if memory serves?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Which ‘gents outfitters’ was she shopping in to be tutted at by a gent with a tape measure? This must’ve been the 90’s surely? In the early 90’s it was fashionable to wear really baggy clothes and as a ‘raver’ I embraced this. Bought my clothes (4 sizes too big 🙄) from Aflecks palace, Topman, Benneton etc. Was never given a second glance. This is the sort of bullshit I can’t abide. Just lies that could so easily be challenged if she dropped it into an IRL conversation but she gets away with it when it’s in print/online. I’d love her to do a Q&A!
I was going to say the same thing! As a 90's teen, I wore mens jeans (complete with happy hardcore smiley face on the arse pocket) baggy gingham shirts, bucket hats, Kickers loafers and also had a dodgy kangol flat cap worn backwards. Being feminine when I was a teenager wasn't a thing! Walking round my school everyone wore the same, regardless of gender. Even when we went out to sneak into clubs underage it was baggy jeans and whatnot.
Jack is explaining what most 90's kids wore isn't she?!?!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
No Jack, before you left you were not training hard to move to the fireground, revelling in your hard masculine body, you were only just back at work after a c-section and according to the latest story iteration, were so stressed managing work and childcare you had a breakdown!

Her not attending her passing out parade because she was having a prima donna tantrum speaks volumes. Her attitude just stinks and it would have been hurtful to her dad especially.

No wonder Essex Fire and Rescue were glad to see the back of her.

There was a photo of her wearing a blazer and skirt in one of those "skint blogger" early photos at a local event which wouldn't have been that long after leaving the fire service. She doesn't look as she describes herself in this article - not muscular, no buzz cut.

What a shock, Jack is lying again.
Why if you have been in a job 3 years do you have a passing out parade? 🤪
i understood passing out parades were on completion of training? If she was still in training after 3 years, she must have been appalling, probably the worst recruit ever!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I was going to say the same thing! As a 90's teen, I wore mens jeans (complete with happy hardcore smiley face on the arse pocket) baggy gingham shirts, bucket hats, Kickers loafers and also had a dodgy kangol flat cap worn backwards. Being feminine when I was a teenager wasn't a thing! Walking round my school everyone wore the same, regardless of genfer. Even when we went out to sneak into clubs underage it was baggy jeans and whatnot.
Jack is explaining what most 90's kids wore isn't she?!?!
She’s not a 90s teen though. She decides what social group she wants to pretend to belong to and pisses them off. In this case it is not harmful. In many others, it is.

Kangol beret. She reminded me earlier with her underwear.

You have taken me to the dark place again complete with kickers shoes.

❤

• Haha
Reactions: 34
How the hell was she affording new suits on a seventeen year olds part time wages? Even cheap suits are expensive. Except she wasn’t, was she? The whole idea of the traditional tailor giving our upstart smol pixie dirty looks as she dares to buy trazzers is bullshit. This would have been what? 2005 ish? How many shops still had traditional tailors then? Hardly any, certainly not ones a teen could afford to shop in. She could have probably just about afforded an off the rack suit from BHS or similar, and no one in there would have given a shiny shite, or she could have done what most teens who want some different kinds of clothes to the high street and gone to a charity shop, where they’re so used to that kind of thing they wouldn’t bat an eye. But none of that fits the narrative now does it?

I’ve got 25 teeth, the 26th was removed some years ago, after which I developed dry socket, which I’ll be honest, is a clawing at the floor and howling level of pain. I’d rather give birth again then have dry socket again, but Jack doesn’t have dry socket because you can only develop it after an extraction.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Got 2 pages to catch up with, but this synesthesia chat is fascinating. There was a Terry Pratchett game where Lewton became a werewolf (just looked it up, Discworld Noir) and he could see smells as colours. Its always interested me since then and I have learned it is a thing and what its name is so thank you cabal members!

I have 32 teeth if anyone is interested.

@Sideboard Bob have you discovered fainting goats yet?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
She probably just bought a few fitted shirts from Topman. I know a few girls who used to buy skinny jeans from there when insanely tight trazzers were the rage circa 2007 because there was little difference in the fit between genders and it was way cheaping than going to Topshop.

• Wow
Reactions: 32
duck me. I can’t believe I counted my teeth. I have 31 and there a wisdom tooth that has caused a hole but hasn’t come out. Actually I’m nearly 50 and one of my wisdom teeth only recently came through.
Wow im dull.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
She’s not a 90s teen though. She decides what social group she wants to pretend to belong to and pisses them off. In this case it is not harmful. In many others, it is.

❤
Kickers shoes! 6th form was very short skirt with a very very baggy jumper and shirt, opaque tights and kickers loafers.

Reactions: 33
So it must be the same publisher who dropped her due to their 'transphobia', who she later accused of stealing money from her? Must be quite a lot of bad blood there.
Not sure, I think Penguin published her first two books, and she said the publisher for number 3 was NOT Penguin (but transphobic). I think Penguin was the thief? Don't know and cba to create another timeline.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
She talks about being 17 and buying herself a suit in the mens department of shops, where "bemused middle aged men harrumphed into their tape measure". This would be in 2005, so the middle aged men would have been teenagers in the 80's, not the 50's.

Pushing the gender boundaries was at its height in the 80's what with the likes of Annie Lenox and Boy George. Women's trouser suits were everywhere. In 2005 gender non conformity was being talked about, Hayley Cropper was in Corry for goodness sake.

Of course it is quite possible that an individual sales assistant would find it strange that she wanted a man's suit for herself. But I doubt they would harrumph if they thought they could get a sale! It is also odd that she never comes across the helpful assistant she always gets the judgemental unhelpful and bigoted one one.

I know my experiences reflect being brought up in a big city, and Manchester in the 60's, 70's and 80's was particularly accepting of alternative lifestyles. But the way she writes about her experiences just don't ring true. They sound like someone telling a story, not recounting true life events. They all sound like she lived in a backwater in the 1950's.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
She talks about being 17 and buying herself a suit in the mens department of shops, where "bemused middle aged men harrumphed into their tape measure". This would be in 2005, so the middle aged men would have been teenagers in the 80's, not the 50's.

Pushing the gender boundaries was at its height in the 80's what with the likes of Annie Lenox and Boy George. Women's trouser suits were everywhere. In 2005 gender non conformity was being talked about, Hayley Cropper was in Corry for goodness sake.

Of course it is quite possible that an individual sales assistant would find it strange that she wanted a man's suit for herself. But I doubt they would harrumph if they thought they could get a sale! It is also odd that she never comes across the helpful assistant she always gets the judgemental unhelpful and bigoted one one.

I know my experiences reflect being brought up in a big city, and Manchester in the 60's, 70's and 80's was particularly accepting of alternative lifestyles. But the way she writes about her experiences just don't ring true. They sound like someone telling a story, not recounting true life events. They all sound like she lived in a backwater in the 1950's.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

❤
Loved my Kickers loafers!! My parents were extremely frugal, didn't believe in buying big brands, so I saved my pocket money for months to buy my Kickers!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Not sure, I think Penguin published her first two books, and she said the publisher for number 3 was NOT Penguin (but transphobic). I think Penguin was the thief? Don't know and cba to create another timeline.
Don’t worry I already had Wikipedia open.
F5C6C709-41B3-4478-A54A-A072BE016410.png

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Seems to me Jack loves to be a victim-shock, I know- and if someone is put off by her laziness, hypochondria, prickly defensiveness blah blah she'll blame something like hair or tattoos instead of admitting to herself that she has a terrible attitude.

OT Synaesthesia is University of Sussex ,

Reactions: 23
I frequently tell my teen daughter that none of this is new or special. That men in the 70s men were gender bending and it was on mainstream TV. They just didn’t give it a special name.
Jack frequently tries to make out she’s super special and is pushing boundaries. She’s not.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.