Jack Monroe #15 Shaved head and on the beg. Whatever happened to the show from the shed?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you @lipsticktaser for the title. First time I've done a new thread - hope it's all ok.

Yay, @Blurp, you made it over. So hopefully this works.

I've done a bit moore financial snooping. It’s really quite tricky to find out about book sales in the UK ,but I just came across this amazon book sale calculator. I tested it out on my own books and their rankings, and it seems pretty accurate. https://www.tckpublishing.com/amazon-book-sales-calculator/

The Tin Can Cook paperback is ranked #1218 in all books. That means in currently needs to sell about 127 copies per day or 1900 per month. It’s on promotion, so the royalties will be low – probably around 30p per copy. So that would make £570 per month. The ebook sells another 1000 copies per month and usually you get better royalties, but let’s just keep it at 30p ,too. So that’s another £300.

Cooking on a Bootstrap is at #4880, which amounts to 670 sales per month, but it’s not on promotion so she should get AT LEAST £1 per copy - £670. The ebook sells 131 copies a month, so another £131.

Adding this all up, we are at £1671 per month. This is for two of her titles only. Now of course, book sales vary and they will go up and down, but given that she has 7 published books, she should make AT LEAST that figure per month from her royalties.

Let’s add this to the previous estimates of £450 per month from website ads, and £720 from Patreon, that makes £2841 per month. This does NOT include her newspaper work, TV gigs, speaking engagements, affiliate links and tip jar.

Poor, poor, Jack.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 70

These are the posts that I found via the Wayback Machine. There were a lot more deleted posts that hadn't been archived. I was mainly looking for deleted blog posts - quite a number of recipes have been deleted too but I couldn't be bothered clicking on them all because they were probably boring and definitely disgusting.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

These are the posts that I found via the Wayback Machine. There were a lot more deleted posts that hadn't been archived. I was mainly looking for deleted blog posts - quite a number of recipes have been deleted too but I couldn't be bothered clicking on them all because they were probably boring and definitely disgusting.
Probably boring and definitely disgusting is a great slogan!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Thank you @lipsticktaser for the title. First time I've done a new thread - hope it's all ok.

I've done a bit moore financial snooping. It’s really quite tricky to find out about book sales in the UK ,but I just came across this amazon book sale calculator. I tested it out on my own books and their rankings, and it seems pretty accurate. https://www.tckpublishing.com/amazon-book-sales-calculator/

The Tin Can Cook paperback is ranked #1218 in all books. That means in currently needs to sell about 127 copies per day or 1900 per month. It’s on promotion, so the royalties will be low – probably around 30p per copy. So that would make £570 per month. The ebook sells another 1000 copies per month and usually you get better royalties, but let’s just keep it at 30p ,too. So that’s another £300.

Cooking on a Bootstrap is at #4880, which amounts to 670 sales per month, but it’s not on promotion so she should get AT LEAST £1 per copy - £670. The ebook sells 131 copies a month, so another £131.

Adding this all up, we are at £1671 per month. This is for two of her titles only. Now of course, book sales vary and they will go up and down, but given that she has 7 published books, she should make AT LEAST that figure per month from her royalties.

Let’s add this to the previous estimates of £450 per month from website ads, and £720 from Patreon, that makes £2841 per month. This does NOT include her newspaper work, TV gigs, speaking engagements, affiliate links and tip jar.

Poor, poor, Jack.
Thanks for the new thread, Harry!
I am impressed you have books of your own! I am intrigued!

Cannot quite believe those figures. It’s GALLING that she still dances to the ‘I’m-so-poor-and-need-your-money’ tune with her begging bowl.

Reactions: 18
It does depend how big the advances were though, and how many copies have sold already. Her first book deal with Penguin in 2013 was for £25,000 according to her Wikipedia page (which may be incorrect, that's large and I think probably split over two books). So let's hypothesise she was paid an advance of £10,000 for the first one, which would then have been split down into something like £2,500 paid on signing the contract, £2,500 on delivery of the manuscript, £2,500 on acceptance of the manuscript (i.e. after editing) and £2,500 on publication.

Before she got any further money from that book in royalties, she would have to 'earn back' the advance - in other words, the first £10,000 in royalties from that book will go back to the publisher, and if they offer it at a deep discount to kickstart sales, the royalty will be discounted too. Once the advance has been paid back to the publisher, royalties get paid twice a year, so it's not exactly a constant cash flow.

Reactions: 14

Poor, poor, Jack.
Fantastic snooping, thank you for sharing your expertise!

I have the feeling someone’s putting in another amazon order for printer ink as we speak 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Almost £3k/month, a conservative estimate based on just some of her sources of income, is crazy. How she can beg for PayPal donations when she is financially very comfortable is beyond me

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I didn't realise you had to earn back the book advance, so maybe some of the "they are withholding my royalties" is I haven't sold enough books to earn royalties (just a thought, no evidence to back it up)

Reactions: 16
To bless this thread and all who sail in her, I am smashing against its hull one of the most unintentionally funny sentences I have ever read in my life:

"Sit the duck down, I need to see bleeping Redcar!"

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 20.20.35.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 48
Yup, definitely middle class and her parents weren't scraping. Travelling to Devon as a child in her mum's Land Rover Discovery.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Yup, definitely middle class and her parents weren't scraping. Travelling to Devon as a child in her mum's Land Rover Discovery.
I dunno, Blurp. If you read that post again, she states twice that Aunty Helen's two geese only had one dress between them.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I dunno, Blurp. If you read that post again, she states twice that Aunty Helen's two geese only had one dress between them.
There's a Kickstarter right there - Clothe The Geese! Help poor, naked geese to have a green summer dress each!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I know I shouldn’t laugh but I am cackling at what an idyllic MC childhood this is 😂

Fancy being driven about in a land rover as a kid and now spending your spare time getting people to donate to your PayPal account. I never...

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I know I shouldn’t laugh but I am cackling at what an idyllic MC childhood this is 😂

Fancy being driven about in a land rover as a kid and now spending your spare time getting people to donate to your PayPal account. I never...
Mummy and Daddy have told here she can be whatever she wants to be. Lucky for us she’s chosen to be poor.
I’m surprised she has never went on X Factor.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
It does depend how big the advances were though, and how many copies have sold already. Her first book deal with Penguin in 2013 was for £25,000 according to her Wikipedia page (which may be incorrect, that's large and I think probably split over two books). So let's hypothesise she was paid an advance of £10,000 for the first one, which would then have been split down into something like £2,500 paid on signing the contract, £2,500 on delivery of the manuscript, £2,500 on acceptance of the manuscript (i.e. after editing) and £2,500 on publication.

Before she got any further money from that book in royalties, she would have to 'earn back' the advance - in other words, the first £10,000 in royalties from that book will go back to the publisher, and if they offer it at a deep discount to kickstart sales, the royalty will be discounted too. Once the advance has been paid back to the publisher, royalties get paid twice a year, so it's not exactly a constant cash flow.
Yep, I work in the music industry and this is how it works. You have to not only recoup your advance but also any marketing costs/tour support and so on so it can take quite some time before you see even a small return. I would assume it’s the same in publishing? And royalties only get paid every six months. It hurts!

Reactions: 11
To bless this thread and all who sail in her, I am smashing against its hull one of the most unintentionally funny sentences I have ever read in my life:

"Sit the duck down, I need to see bleeping Redcar!"

View attachment 128016
I thought she wrote not my circus not my bleeping monkeys on the ballot paper.

what was Jude Law doing in Southend? Does he live there?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.