Jack Monroe #144 The man from Strictly, he say No

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hang on, HANG ON, am I wrong in thinking a roux is butter, flour and milk? Is she adding vegan cheese to a non-vegan recipe like she did with the vegan cheese egg?
No it was vegan milk and butter in the roux. It’s just that she said she’d been perfecting it like it wasn’t the same way every person in the world makes cheese sauce except for all the people who’ve been vegans long enough to make cheese sauce before they could just add smoked Violife to their Ocado order.

Reactions: 24
Fraus... a food question since I don’t know any experts.

I made carbonara tonight and have loads left. I’ve refrigerated it. Don’t want to poison myself but do you reckon I could flatten it and fry it in a pan tomorrow like a hash brown shape for lunch and it won’t kill me?
otherwise I will just have it chilled but I thought that would be nice but not sure about the egg factor in there if reheating.
Definitely! I love making my leftovers into a different type of dish. I would fry it in little patties and have something fresh on the side, either a bright salad or even a quick salsa verde. Eggs are fine to reheat as long as you heat them through/they’ve been kept in fridge.

Reactions: 21
Can anyone recommend a good home IPL device for use on the face? For some reason when I hit 35 last year my body decided that all these random hairs would come out to play.

Rude tbh! 😂
I know I'm about 8 hours too late, but this one:

I'm 39 with PCOS and all the hair-related challenges that come with that. I've had laser and electrolysis before, as well as using the Tria device. The Smoothskin is the only one I've really had any success with. Been using it about 8 weeks now, hair is massively reduced on my face, legs are pretty much bald now!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This is so much fun. I can’t bear to read any of these but I love your reviews and feedback!
"I've turned down a seven-figure movie deal for a story of my life, and have often declined money to do things I don't believe in."

• Haha
Reactions: 64
This week Sesame Southend Street was brought to you by the letter ‘M’.
She really needs to move on from the A level English Lit texts. We've had Sylvia Plath and I'm bored with Cat on a Hot Tin Can Roof now just like I was in 1990. She really isn't Brick. Prick, maybe. We've already covered the sodding Wasteland as well.

Mind you, whilst the Edinburgh pilgrimage was too late in the year to count as truly Chaucerian, the voys she hath as smal as hath a goot - and it seems as though old Geoff could easily have written whan that she fond a povre person dwellynge upon lond, upon a day she gat her moore moneye than that the person gat in monthes tweye;
And thus with feyned flaterye and japes, she made the person and the peple her apes. But trewely to tellen atte laste, she was in chirche a noble ecclesiaste about her.

A good candidate for illustrating the hubris of Beowulf as well. She'd need to tear somebody's arm off on the train rather than just kick them in the shins, though. I'm sure she's got the upper body strength for that, too.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
oh ok, I looked up the liver and sultana thing. it was for a Finnish inspired xmas menu for the grauniad in 2013.

then I googled the specific dish

20210202_220947.jpg

every day's a school day at the hands of jack monroe!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36
Can anyone recommend a good home IPL device for use on the face? For some reason when I hit 35 last year my body decided that all these random hairs would come out to play.

Rude tbh! 😂
I got a Braun silk expert one a couple of years ago on offer from Amazon and love it. My facial hair was so bad it was making me cry and I only have to use it every few weeks now. I bloody love it. I still get wiry hairs growing through and some are now very fair bristles that I have to get with the tweezers, but it's made such a huge difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
"I've turned down a seven-figure movie deal for a story of my life, and have often declined money to do things I don't believe in."

A 7 figure sum! That would be at least £1,000,000. That is a minimum of a million pounds. A million pounds and she refused it. Not in a million years would she refuse a million pounds.

I know there too many "millions" in that short paragraph, but it hammers home just how unbelievable it is.

Jack, here's a helpful tip. If you are going to lie, at least make it credible.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
20210202_221258.jpg

This is precisely the sort of people you seem comfortable taking money off you scummy fucker.
Honestly, I'd slap you with my slipper should we ever come face to face.
🔺️me, I dare you. How dare you?!

ETA. Sorry guys, I'm reading through some of this performative, pseudo-leftie bullshit & it just stinks. We're all here because at some point or other JM has raised our hackles. Be it FSM, Gender issues, budget nonsense or general fuckery but really? Taking fuel allowance off poor old Nans?
Jesus wept or any other deity, as according to our Sainted JM, apparently you can appropriate religion too. In lieu of a few Hail Mary's or (any) equivalent you can do a Sun Salutation instead of the "'private prayer" that was so essential during lockdown. Bloody hell. This is in no way throwing shade on anyone or their belief system. But, come on..really?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Definitely! I love making my leftovers into a different type of dish. I would fry it in little patties and have something fresh on the side, either a bright salad or even a quick salsa verde. Eggs are fine to reheat as long as you heat them through/they’ve been kept in fridge.
I’ve had a few red wines and saw your avatar and reply and thought the food expert herself had replied. I’ve some vine tomatoes and avocado and some (not wet or cheap) ham so will do something like that with it for lunch tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
@discolisa I really appreciate you bringing us all these articles but I am currently not prepared to forgive you for highlighting the wanking quote.

jack laughs at a cabbage.jpeg

This picture is peak Jack Dad Energy. She's played the 'got your nose' joke and she is well chuffed with herself. I also cannot believe she really thinks that you can substitute mushy peas for green beans, presumably because they are both green and are a close rhyme. I'm sure some mushy peas will go nicely in a satay curry. How about a mushy pea salad with tomatoes and feta? Lingreenie with mushy peas? Sounds delightful.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
View attachment 415999
This is precisely the sort of people you seem comfortable taking money off you scummy fucker.
Honestly, I'd slap you with my slipper should we ever come face to face.
🔺️me, I dare you. How dare you?!
Pensions are not there to help your nan pay her heating bills. Pensions are an income that you pay a contribution for throughout your working life. You receive a pension whether or not you need that income to pay for heating.

Winter fuel payments, however, are a benefit for pensioners with an income so low they can not afford to heat their home. But you would know all about that, wouldn't you Jack, you were caught accepting money off someone in receipt of it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
This is so much fun. I can’t bear to read any of these but I love your reviews and feedback!
Who would play Jack in a film of her life? I know she's talking bollocks but I would be interested in watching such a film as you just know it'd be terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Who would play Jack in a film of her life? I know she's talking bollocks but I would be interested in watching such a film as you just know it'd be terrible.
Who's that woman that played Batwoman? Ruby something.. savage hair, tattoos etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.