Jack Monroe #144 The man from Strictly, he say No

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You have put it so perfectly, I haven’t been able to properly articulate my thoughts but yes, it’s the lack of acknowledgment that she’s in a much less precarious position than she would have us all believe. That for me is one of the biggest red flags as it’s very calculated and so unbelievably unfair on her followers, many of whom follow for specific reasons since she’s the self appointed queen of “the poverty.”
I feel their sympathy and care towards her is misplaced and it’s not their fault, because she continues to perpetuate the struggling pixie narrative, despite being in a VERY different position now.
I know she speaks of the post poverty “hangover” and I can partly relate to that, I grew up in a relatively poor household too and some of it does stay with you... but I am in a much better position now and I wouldn’t dream of inserting myself so forcefully into a narrative that is no longer mine.
She needs to cut the tit, grow up and learn to take some personal responsibility!

I’ve got a couple of reflective thoughts to share with you about what’s currently irking me about JM, above the vegan cosplaying which is what initially bought me here. As I’ve said before, I do occasionally wonder if this is a constructive thing to be involved with so I feel I need to challenge myself a bit (unlike our Jack).

My biggest ick moment (and there have been some doozies to chose from lately) was prompted by the squiqqle who made the ‘why can’t we all chip in and buy you your forever home’ comment. Whether it’s a suggestion to buy her a house or a shopping trolley, there’s NEVER a firm, sincere response of ‘thank you, that’s kind but you really don’t need to do this/there are so many people worse off than me/I’m doing fine thanks’. She always sidesteps this with a deft little response that sidesteps the question but still hints at poverty. Such as ‘I’ll find it in the library’ or ‘I’d never get a mortgage on my smol pixie wage’. It’s manipulative and calculated. It’s horribly selfish and cynical. It’s evil. And I think it makes it very clear that she knows exactly what she’s up to.

Secondly, I was catching up with a friend who was telling me her 6 year old has been having online safety lessons at school. One of the results of this is that she’s told her mum that she cannot take her picture and share it without her permission. And that if she does, she will be very upset and disappointed. I feel sad that SB does not have this extended to him; I’m pretty certain that an emoji mask does not lessen the impact his image being shared to thousands. Especially when at his age he’s likely to be so sensitive about intimate moments with his mother being seen by his peers.

So, don’t worry, it really doesn’t take long to convince myself that I’m not dwelling in a hell pit here. And enjoying this weekend’s tea spillage, outrage and Rik appreciation makes me realise that this is the most wonderful corner of the internet to be in and I LOVE being part of the cabal as you’re all so brilliant.
💗

• Heart
Reactions: 37
not sure if this will be helpful but thought i’d contribute anyway because i have worked as a call handler in 3 different emergency/urgent care type services over a period of 10 years.

it is actually a hard job because it’s exhausting being on the phone for long periods of time, you do hear things that affect you, and the amount of abuse you get wears thin SO quickly but it’s not the same as doing the actual job on the frontline and you are NOT trained to be able to do that.

i can’t speak for the fire service but there was no decision-making in any of the jobs that i have done, there are algorithms and strict procedures that you need to follow in terms of specifically how you deal with calls and when and who you escalate to (and it needs to be done to the letter or else you would be responsible if anything went wrong). no need to read 1000 page documents about policies because the only important thing is that you follow the procedures. i don’t believe that you would need to know massive details to make decisions by yourself as a call handler like she describes, it would be way above your pay grade. even a dispatch role where i have worked wouldn’t have the level of decision-making that jack talks about, it is a role that comes with more responsibility but they are still just following procedures.

hope that all makes sense, it’s probably a bit jumbled! basically i definitely feel that jack is massively overstating her experience. but hey we already know that.
Your post makes perfect sense, much more than Jack's self-pity ramblings. Could I ask if you had a passing out parade as Jack claimed and were you allowed to wear traaazers?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Your post makes perfect sense, much more than Jack's self-pity ramblings. Could I ask if you had a passing out parade as Jack claimed and were you allowed to wear traaazers?
sadly i don’t have as many online haters as jack does so i never had their cruel words to incentivise me to train to pass any fitness tests or training or whatever 🥺

i’d assume it was a blanket ban on traaaazers UK-wide as i imagine these old chiefs are all in cahoots so it’s lucky that i never had to face such a quandary.

(on a serious note the thought of a passing out parade for a call handler is just so hilare, i honestly lol’d at your post 🤣)

• Haha
Reactions: 53
"I grew up in the fire service", no you didn't you plonker, you grew up the daughter of a fire officer. By her reckoning, I grew up down the pit!

@Fruitjack beat me to it. Great minds and all that. 😂
Work out who Works Jack reminds me of:

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Regarding the Linda McCartney debacle, their mistake is that what they are doing to the vegans is treating them like "woke" individuals frothing at the mouth trying to cancel them. Because with woke people, you can often never win and there is no hope of forgiveness. If you grovel and apologise, they just use it as proof of your guilt. So the advice is often to ignore cancelling attempts and hope it goes away.

They problem is that vegans generally are different from woke people. They have tangible aims and goals; specific things that are bothering them; are not usually out to destroy people out of spite; and will forgive and encourage improvement if the person/company in question does the right thing. They were complaining because they don't want to put money towards a company that will indirectly promote the worst types of meat via Jack Monroe, someone who also shat on the vegan community and made them look bad. They were not trying to cancel Linda McCartney. They are paying customers complaining and they are being treated with contempt. It's not the same as woke idiots on social media trying to destroy a public figure for wearing dreadlocks 20 years ago, but that's how LM have treated the viggles.

Now, they do actually want to boycott LM.

I'm sure there would have been a way for LM to have continued their engagement with JM without offending the viggles. Such as "we're sorry for misunderstanding Jack's stance on meat and veganism. Since she has a large audience, we will continue to work with her for the rest of Veganuary, and are grateful for the work she has done so far. We still think it could have a positive impact. But we appreciate your concerns, and will ensure our future partners have the same vision that we do". Or something. Followed by chasing Jack up to ensure her recipes, tips, and personal social media are not offensive. The viggles wouldn't have been happy, but they would have calmed down and not many of them would be calling to boycott LM.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
also i’ve always been super proud of those jobs and i have so so many hilarious and weird stories from them that i just don’t get why jack needs to lie and embellish for more material cos trust me, there’s plenty already 🤣

she is a total snob in that she clearly thinks being a call handler was beneath her. it’s a good job and it’s well paid and opens other doors for sure, she’s just the most unappreciative dick on the planet.

Reactions: 65
Also, on another personal note, I have an uncle who was seriously (severely!) ill and hospitalised with Covid last year. We really didn't think he'd make it. Scans revealed clots on his lungs and kidneys; he had a kidney removed in November after one mass was found to be cancerous. He's previously had a double knee replacement. He's currently working as a volunteer at a Covid testing centre in one of the highest infection areas in the country. Jack can absolutely get to total duck with her ♿ and multiple trips to Wilkos. twit.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 85
"I grew up in the fire service", no you didn't you plonker, you grew up the daughter of a fire officer. By her reckoning, I grew up down the pit!

@Fruitjack beat me to it. Great minds and all that. 😂
Sharing a tiny bit of thought process with dear heart MancBee is the highlight of my day.

• Heart
sadly i don’t have as many online haters as jack does so i never had their cruel words to incentivise me to train to pass any fitness tests or training or whatever 🥺

i’d assume it was a blanket ban on traaaazers UK-wide as i imagine these old chiefs are all in cahoots so it’s lucky that i never had to face such a quandary.

(on a serious note the thought of a passing out parade for a call handler is just so hilare, i honestly lol’d at your post 🤣)
I've just reread the New Statesman article, here are a couple of funny bits.
Also, Jack has shrunk, she's teenier than ever, practically microscopic!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
omfg i had forgotten that she actually said the bit about old chief liking girls in skirts, in my head that had become part of the joke. i’m equal parts horrified and delighted right now!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 63
One of the results of this is that she’s told her mum that she cannot take her picture and share it without her permission
This is brilliant, and so true about the kids who's autonomy is dismissed and are thus used as a prop by their attention hungry parents - don't wanna get all 'high and righteous' about it but just as a matter of fact, we have a no faces on social media rule for our kid as it just isn't our decision as to what online presence our daughter chooses to have, it's hers. To some it may seem a little extreme but think we would rather be over-cautious than go the other way and for our daughter to be disappointed with us when she's old enough to make that decision for herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
The New Statesman must have better copy editors than the Guardian. That was almost readable.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
This is brilliant, and so true about the kids who's autonomy is dismissed and are thus used as a prop by their attention hungry parents - don't wanna get all 'high and righteous' about it but just as a matter of fact, we have a no faces on social media rule for our kid as it just isn't our decision as to what online presence our daughter chooses to have, it's hers. To some it may seem a little extreme but think we would rather be over-cautious than go the other way and for our daughter to be disappointed with us when she's old enough to make that decision for herself.
i agree with you. i don’t use social media anymore which makes it easier but my daughter likes me to get her permission before i even send a picture on whatsapp to family and i’m proud of her for that! especially because she’s pretty young.

the things jack posts about SB are humiliating.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Hang on, hang on...

Before she left she was spending all her down time training in the gym and visiting the Service Training centre in Witham?

Who was looking after SB in the meantime? And how did she get to Witham if she couldn't drive? Bit of a trek by train, especially from Southend.

• Wow
Oh I know.. I'm keenly aware of the Monroe..
From way back when her gender was whatever would sell books better and there was an incident on another forum where she joined thinking she was a big shot doing an AMA and most told her to do one. .. then another issue with a "Poor single.mum" knocking her wallet at a Wetherspoons.. and a few others over the years.
Ohhh please serve all the hot tea you got.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
That article makes clear her references to training to be a firefighter. Not that she had been accepted as one, but that she had been training independently in the hopes of being able to change jobs.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.