Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well I’m still absolutely cringing at Jack asking Nigella if she can draw her garden, what an embarrassment. So to distract myself I’m thinking about all the things in Jack world that are interchangeable. So far I’ve got:

rice is rice
Any herb will do (also, kale)
Pasta is all the same (I think?) fact check needed on this one
Salt is salt is salt
Possibly the worst one - carrots will do instead of sweet potato. bleeping hell.

Any others I’ve missed?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
Only imagine a whole book full of tips like these. With a retail price of ??? And - elastic band from the pavement. I am lost for words.
I can’t help but think the publishers won’t allow these terrible tips to make it into the book. I’m a writer 🔺 (not cookbooks!) and the editing process is always so arduous. There’s no way I’d ever have (or want) a first draft of something put out into the world. Where is the editor in all this?

Reactions: 41
I

I clicked on the link because I haven’t seen enough of the crappy bungalow. Look how she’s referred to in that article- they couldn’t even be bothered to get her moniker right-

View attachment 401458
That has got to be a thread title!
#thread title camp kitchen from the bootstring chef
😂 I’m hooting
unfortunately it didn’t keep her housebound #southendsuperspreader

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Where is the editor in all this?
I also wonder about the (lack of) editorial control in the Linda McCartney and Del Monte campaigns. I get that they are both big brands, the money they have paid Jack is probably insignificant to them. The photo of the sausage and kidney bean curry actually makes the product look bad, as reflected in some of the comments.

Reactions: 35
I can’t help but think the publishers won’t allow these terrible tips to make it into the book. I’m a writer 🔺 (not cookbooks!) and the editing process is always so arduous. There’s no way I’d ever have (or want) a first draft of something put out into the world. Where is the editor in all this?
The editor was nowhere to be found when previous books talked about chickpeas bathing in their own ephemera...

• Haha
  • Sick
I'm in Australia and don't even have a eucalyptus tree in the garden. Never known anyone personally in England to have one either tbh.
I have one 🙋. I have never showered or bathed with it.

Regarding the cat food - this is the feeding guide for those tins. Cooper is obviously much larger than the average 4kg cat so would get through quite an amount of those tins.

Morning all ☺

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Well I’m still absolutely cringing at Jack asking Nigella if she can draw her garden, what an embarrassment. So to distract myself I’m thinking about all the things in Jack world that are interchangeable. So far I’ve got:

rice is rice
Any herb will do (also, kale)
Pasta is all the same (I think?) fact check needed on this one
Salt is salt is salt
Possibly the worst one - carrots will do instead of sweet potato. bleeping hell.

Any others I’ve missed?
Potatoes! (The infamous Hellmans live - I think - not Jack's oft-retweeted magnum opus).

"Hi Jack, what potatoes are you using?"
"Just...standard potatoes"

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Yep, just to back you up - I’m a writer too (red triangle me). First book came out not long ago. Editing with the person I worked with took longer than actually writing the manuscript! If she is working with an editor they’re clearly not as diligent as they should be, given some of the poor writing and inaccuracies that have got through...

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Potatoes! (The infamous Hellmans live - I think - not Jack's oft-retweeted magnum opus).

"Hi Jack, what potatoes are you using?"
"Just...standard potatoes"
You can understand that Jack maybe didn't grow up with the kind of parents who taught her cooking skills, a lot of us don't. You can understand that in her late teens and early 20s when she lived alone, cooking wasn't a priority, plenty of people get ready meals and take always and go out to eat, or are happy eating beans on toast. And that's ok (not necessarily the most healthy or frugal options but you do you). BUT, you'd think that once she started to make a living off the notion she's a "cook", she needs to bloody learn to cook. A lot of the stuff is just basic, and it would even be easier for her to actually have some knowledge. She's had some incredibly opportunities to be around actual chefs, surely she's picked up some basics? At this point, she must actively be trying to not be a "proper chef" because she thinks it lends some relatability? When in reality, a lot of poor people could seriously benefit from some basic skills and nutrition knowledge, she's doing everyone dirty by not taking this opportunity to actually be helpful. Don't tell anyone, but I have a sneaking suspicion she's..... putting it all on.

• Heart
Monroe hasn't overtly said anything about Marcus to my knowledge. She did say about it being her story though. I think Roadside Mum said a few pages back that she couldn't get a seat at the table but he did.
Jack also criticised the letter signed by Marcus and others (but not Jack!) - I think that was in one of the Guardian articles but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 32
Yep, just to back you up - I’m a writer too (red triangle me). First book came out not long ago. Editing with the person I worked with took longer than actually writing the manuscript! If she is working with an editor they’re clearly not as diligent as they should be, given some of the poor writing and inaccuracies that have got through...
It’s crazy. And also incredibly offensive- it’s such a privilege to have something published- to do so with such a lack of care is tit.

Reactions: 30
Yeah but imagine being one of Jack's editors and having the AUDACITY to try to change any of her misused words. I have no doubt she'd go all Giles Coren on them ... https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I'm an editor, I'd not get paid if this had been me. And I just do "lifestyle" books-cooking, puzzles at the like.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Didn't she sign a deal for a specific number of books? So the publishers are committed at this point. Seeing her agent asking her to phone her via twitter I speculate they are relieved to receive any content from her. If it's all of the standard she posts on twitter what are they going to do? I am also wondering why they are publishing books from her so fast. Veganish,Tin Can Coook, Good Food for Bad Days, - and now two books with deadlines due - is a lot of books in a short time. Is this usual in the publishing industry?

Reactions: 30
I find it amazing that Jack is allowed to cover many genres - yet anyone else who dares to suggest low cost recipes is all up in her niche and she should get all of the adulation. Don’t even get me started on how pathetic a person you have to be to like other people’s tweets that basically say oh don’t listen to another chef because Jack Monroe is the originator. I guess community over competition isn’t written on her paper table cloth. If we applied the same logic, then there really should only be one person who makes all the jewellery in the world, one comedian etc.

Anyhoo off to make scramble eggs and season them with dishwasher salt. Because salt is salt is salt.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
Good morning Cabal,
Interesting to see that comments have disappeared on the sausage abomination on Linda’s Insta. The Pastitiothingymajig ones are still there though. Is there a Monday morning zoom meeting at Linda HQ with JM on the agenda?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
*rushes over to see Linda's insta. Comments still up.

Wtf is that! Looks rank,

Wow! That looks deeply unpleasant.

Still up there for all to see.

She has turned off comments on her own insta, though.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
It must be awfully traumatic for Jack to write about using butter in recipes considering she is too poor to buy it for herself. Clawing at the floor thinking of the hellish inequality she suffers. Whenever I’m running low, I bang out an article for Vogue and a week later, I’m iiiiiiiiin the butter! 🤑

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.