Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always thought that Royal Mail used red elastic bands ?
The ones I see on the pavement here just tend to be the normal colour, but maybe they aren’t from the Royal Mail, I don’t think I’ve ever actually witnessed a postie dropping them.

Reactions: 19
Jack, you say "salt is salt is salt", but is it though?

Not according to your multi millionaire chef ex fiancé Allegra. Who do I believe? An overblown blogger that has outgrown her usefulness, or a successful businesswoman with a chain of restaurants? How many different sorts did she have? Pretty sure it was more than one.
Seven kinds of salt, IIRC.

Suppose that's what going through culinary school does for you.

Can't wait for JM's Saxa-Salted Sausage Toffee Ice Cream (just add salad cream; cream is cream is cream, after all) recipe towards the end of the book that she hasn't even got as far as writing the introduction for as yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 51
I think it was 'all about the childten:, until the attention fell away, and now it's Silencing the poor.

Although Roadside mum is yet to explain why she should be the self elected voice of the poor, over all those other people who shared images of fsm parcels. We also
need to hear the voices of the less articulate, or are their experiences of poverty less relevant?
I would like to hear the voices of those who don't spend all day, ranting away on Twitter tbh 😑.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
The ones I see on the pavement here just tend to be the normal colour, but maybe they aren’t from the Royal Mail, I don’t think I’ve ever actually witnessed a postie dropping them.
I am probably wrong then! I do remember them getting a load of hassle about dropped bands a few years back.

Reactions: 19
‘Salt is salt is salt’.

Ha! For Jack Monroe salts are just like mince. The differences ‘just are’.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I am probably wrong then! I do remember them getting a load of hassle about dropped bands a few years back.
I live in Blackpool so it’s plausible there is some sort of weird explanation for the ones I see 😂 If they got stick maybe they switched to normal coloured ones to give them some leeway to deny it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Yes table salt will have been stripped of any beneficial minerals. In addition, cheap table salt has iodine added which for some people's skin will cause a reaction 😡. I wish she'd stop peddling advice about things she knows sweet FA about.
As an aside iodine is added to help thyroid function, iodine deficiency used to be common place and caused goitres

• Wow
Reactions: 20
View attachment 401085
I don’t want to be a dick here and I know this isn’t about jack but I recall roadside mum posting about being approached by various media outlets then declining them. Obviously then jack jumped in and stole the thunder but this seems a bit resentful.
I would also like to point out that Marcus Rashford, is also a) working class, b) was on free school meals, c) a football player and d) black. The last two especially would seemingly hold him back. Regardless of whether or not he plays for the biggest football club in the world. This is not only resentful, but also borders on racist

I know she's a traveller I know she is. But like come on. He's one of the most trolled people on twitter

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Hey Jack, a little bit of google, yeah?
Don’t worry we’ve done the hard graft so you can grift, as per usual
Here’s an article about making bath salts, they seem very anti-table salt!
🤔 ooo I wonder why?

Reactions: 12
I would also like to point out that Marcus Rashford, is also a) working class, b) was on free school meals, c) a football player and d) black. The last two especially would seemingly hold him back. Regardless of whether or not he plays for the biggest football club in the world. This is not only resentful, but also borders on racist

I know she's a traveller I know she is. But like come on. He's one of the most trolled people on twitter
Generally women get the most trolling on Twitter but the abuse ‘kickyball’ players get is actually pretty horrendous. There is generally a trade off that because they are well paid then they need to suck it up. It must actually be really hard for young working class boys to withstand the amount of abuse they get, yeah they get paid handsomely but it must be awful to get properly trolled when all you have done is kick a ball about, yet jack does terrrible things to the kitten and gets treated like a saint.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
Generally women get the most trolling on Twitter but the abuse ‘kickyball’ players get is actually pretty horrendous. There is generally a trade off that because they are well paid then they need to suck it up. It must actually be really hard for young working class boys to withstand the amount of abuse they get, yeah they get paid handsomely but it must be awful to get properly trolled when all you have done is kick a ball about, yet jack does terrrible things to the kitten and gets treated like a saint.
Not only that, but there are a few tabloid newspapers who can barely contain their racist attitudes towards successful young black footballers. I’ll never forget when Raheem Sterling had to defend himself for buying his mum a house FFS.
There’s an article here that explains more.

ETA This is actually the best version of events here, Raheem‘s own article on his life and background, well worth a read.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Yeah I really don’t get the problem with Marcus Rashford being invited in tbh. More recently than Jack’s “poverty” he and his brothers were recipients of FSM, and he’s not trying to hide that he’s come good (although frankly the houses he bought his family were ludicrously modest and I hope he didn’t feel like he had to do that to make a point: I for one wouldn’t begrudge his mum a mansion in Cheshire). He’s a young, Black man with direct and formative experience of poverty in an inner city.

Roadside Mum wants to be anonymous, which is absolutely fair, but that being the case we don’t know about things like infrastructure issues, population and demographic idiosyncrasies where she is, and what sort of alternative provisions there are. Again, it’s grand that she wants to be anon, but if that’s the case it’s harder for her to make a generalised and universalised plea for help with solutions for areas that aren’t like hers, be that rural, suburban, whatever.

Not only that but she hitched her wagon to the JM express early on against better advice and it just makes her looks tit tbh, even though I don’t think she is.

• Heart
Reactions: 75
I have my suspicions about her story that she used food banks. I didnt hear her mention them before years ago. At that time they were much rarer and often you had to have a social work referral. That is something she would have massively avoided. She has said she appropriates other peoples stories as her own. When I first came across her she was showing people how to cook on what they had. There was no mention of what you get in a food parcel from the food bank .
Now sadly a sign of the times they are everywhere there is one 10 mins walk from me now and never was before.
Also in re to foodbanks I worked in a large one Aberdeen and we got all sorts. We had vegans and veggies coming in looking for beans and would have snapped up coconut milk. We never knew what was coming through door. Often it was a supermarket off loading something not selling well or about to go out of date. We also had a shopping system when as well as a bag of staples the people who came in could have a look to see what we had in stock and anything different tasty was snapped up .
As to her thrift hacks ! Who doesnt put water in their bottles to stretch them jeso ! Half my hair products are like that .

• Heart
Reactions: 57
You know when you're a kid and you get a bucket of water, throw all sorts of twigs, leaves and herbs in it, leave it to ferment for a few days and call it perfume? That is the Jack era we are in now.

Other salts you can try in your bath since they're all interchangeable:
Lithium carbonate (don't forget to save the water to make your own lithium batteries afterwards!)
Potassium permanganate (a disinfectant that will stain you purple, swings and roundabouts innit)
Lead nitrate (only a little bit toxic)
Potassium chromate (only a little bit carcinogenic)

There are hundreds of salts out there, the world is your oyster.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.