Jack Monroe #139 Paging Dr Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
who keeps a jar of salt in the bathroom? what's it for?

a scrub? bath salts? that wouldn't go well, you still need something to soften the water. so is she seasoning things in there? 🥴

i just don't get it

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Wtf is going on guys, why is she doing anything BUT this book? She’s not the same pov urchin darling she once was plus she’s now up against a new generation of insta #bossbabes fighting for publishing deals, she can’t afford to duck this longstanding relationship up?!

This is possibly the most mental act of self sabotage to date?!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Nice little dig at us there Jack.

How many tins of beans did you have to eat at 22p instead of 79p before you could afford all those Cotswold sideboards?

I’m calling it.

duck off.
So we need to do the cost of the sideboards divided by 57p. Anyone got a pricing? I’m guessing this is going to be a tit load of tins 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Has she seen those school glue spreaders? It’d take hours. And there’s sweet fa left in tomato purée metal tubes anyway-you can squash the bloody thing jack & save yourself a cut in the process. The plaster on your finger would override the teeny saving made 😂This tit is beyond parody.
I use a small spoon to get stuff out of jars...and that is a sentence so incredibly basic that I never dreamed I would actually need to type it one day.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
I'm interested in the budgets available for cookbook development. I suspect Jamie Oliver has an army of professional cookbook testers (maybe retired chefs) and less famous writers have to rely on friends and family - Rukmini Iyer makes reference to her friends who helped test the recipes in one of her Roasting Tin books. Jack theoretically should have testers through her patreons but is so arrogant she doesn't think she needs to. I do believe Jack when she says she doesn't get huge advances as her publisher seems to rightly take the view that her books can be rushed out cheaply to whatever gullible market is still buying them - not going to make any waves in the cooking world, but the effort and costs of producing them are low enough to make it worth it.
was going to say that yes Jamie has a very big team of testers, recipe writers, home economics bods and nutritionists (he does nutrition for most of his recipes) he has two page acknowledgment sections of people in each book and the great thing about that - all of his recipes work. I have never had a dud, it’s why I buy his cookbooks.

It takes time and is expensive but it clearly works.

Reactions: 52
So, twatting about on Twitter, talking about washing up liquid, talking about milk bottles, knitting, making a cat sit on my laptop and taking pictures of it, decanting used oil into bottles and sending pass ag tweets to the nice lady from Countdown.
Yes, this is exactly what I do when I'm 10 days from a deadline and haven't even started assembling the project.
Untitled document is already a classic in the making I can feel it.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Nice little dig at us there Jack.

How many tins of beans did you have to eat at 22p instead of 79p before you could afford all those Cotswold sideboards?

I’m calling it.

duck off.
5F6CDDF8-0D5E-45FD-B4E4-DF9406AE22D8.jpeg

DEB536E6-9432-4B95-A5A1-8204AD69F3DF.jpeg

tins assuming one £800 sideboard... think the collection is estimated at £6k which would be 10.5k tins.

When you look after the pennies the John Lewis goodies really do come rolling in sweeties x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
so, do the orange peels sit with the mushrooms on the radiator? or is it a case of one's in the east wing and the other's in the west wing? one item per hallway?

if i knew anyone who was keeping fruit peelings and old mushrooms on radiators, not to mention the vegetable peelings in the freezer, i'd have to sit them down and ask what's wrong 😬

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 62
was going to say that yes Jamie has a very big team of testers, recipe writers, home economics bods and nutritionists (he does nutrition for most of his recipes) he has two page acknowledgment sections of people in each book and the great thing about that - all of his recipes work. I have never had a dud, it’s why I buy his cookbooks.

It takes time and is expensive but it clearly works.
I’ve just made my own curry paste for the first time thanks to THAT MAN and my house smells deliciously of paneer and veggie tikka masala. According to Jack it’s approximately 46 portions (that I’ll store in empty jars). I’d rather fling shite at the moon!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.