Jack Monroe #137 NarcLife by Bootstrap Crook

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Over on Vonny LeClerc’s thread her sister has just joined the forum and is confirming a lot of people’s suspicions. Wish someone would do the same here for Jack
Must be the season for it, Emma Drew’s ex-assistant has joined the forum and spilt the beans over there. (Emma is a money blogger, well that’s what she claims to be but is another bullshitting scam artist.)

So come on Caroline with the hands...you are very welcome!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
Does anyone know if it's people with a confirmed case of covid that will get a extension on filing their taxes ? Do you get a long extension for long covid ? I hate the constant deflections after a chaos . Cat's , illness's , then "food".
no personal tax extensions at the moment - however you can always appeal penalties with a ‘good excuse’ and covid counts as an excuse.

Reactions: 19
The first hand experience thing is a flimsy justification for hate speech, and I'm shocked the Guardian would use it as a defence.

I grew up partly in South Africa. If I were interviewed by the Guardian and I used heinous, dehumanising language to describe the black people I knew as a child, "first hand experience" would be - quite rightly - no defence.

Jack Monroe grew up in a position of extreme privilege over these fostered children. Her use of "feral" is just vile.
Exactly. A better article would have published her words, but then questioned them and point out what their choice may reveal about her. It would also be appropriate to put into context WHY this type of language is very problematic.

I can understand that when a child who has had a healthy upbringing is introduced to children who have had difficult and traumatic life experiences, that these children may seem scary or difficult to comprehend. It is valid for the child to feel that way and I would imagine being a foster sibling is not easy. However, surely as a 32-year-old you have had enough time to reflect upon the fact that any problematic behaviour by the foster children was based in fear and trauma and that the word 'feral' is a dehumanising term to use.

How a newspaper fails to understand this or question their interviewee is beyond me. Imagine Gove or Hancock talking about growing up with feral foster siblings. Why is it ok for Jack to use this language without question?

• Heart
Reactions: 68
I got that reply re feral and also :

Regarding your other concerns about the choice of the interviewee, that is not something the readers' editor's office deals with - our job is to consider corrections and clarifications. That said, the head of features did read your anonymised concerns and acknowledged that Monroe is a person in the public eye about whom many people have strong and divided views. However, she said that didn't make her not worthy of interviewing and that the overwhelming feedback about the interview had been positive. If there is anything in particular within the article that you believe to be incorrect, please provide further details and we can look into it.

We have had a few other complaints about the same issue and will be sending a similar response to them too.
I got this after the feral bit:

Regarding your other concerns about the interviewee, that is not something the readers' editor's office deals with - our job is to consider corrections and clarifications. If there are particular things in the article that you believe to be incorrect, please provide further detail and we can look into them.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
I got this after the feral bit:

Regarding your other concerns about the interviewee, that is not something the readers' editor's office deals with - our job is to consider corrections and clarifications. If there are particular things in the article that you believe to be incorrect, please provide further detail and we can look into them.
The bit that says she doesn't look after herself? As far as I can tell, most all she does is look after herself through her massive grift.

(no, I know that's not what they meant).

• Heart
Reactions: 27
The bit that says she doesn't look after herself? As far as I can tell, most all she does is look after herself through her massive grift.

Dunno what they mean about anonymised. I did sign the email. Maybe they took my name out and passed it on. Maybe they know that if Jack finds out who has criticized her she will come knocking at my door.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Oh I love ketjap manis. We had it in one of our Hello Fresh meals and I bought a bottle the next day 😋
I haven’t used it with my peanut butter noodles yet though so thanks for the tip!
yes, same here. I had never heard of it before the hello fresh meal I made but it is so good.

weirdly I really like it drizzled over potato salad..... I fear that sounds like a Jack Creation but it’s honestly great!

Reactions: 15

I'm quite tempted to just email back with "literally everything that came out of her mouth" but perhaps I'll leave it.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Dunno what they mean about anonymised. I did sign the email. Maybe they took my name out and passed it on. Maybe they know that if Jack finds out who has criticized her she will come knocking at my door.
She doesn’t need your name, Clarends.

She had a particular set of 🔺skills, that render names entirely unnecessary.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Lads. Lads, without being too bossy but at the same time, being really bossy...
You won’t Get anywhere with the Guardian. You don’t have a Cooper in a being forcibly brushed chance. 🔺 me I know how it works.
However, if you do wish to do “something” about the way fostered and adopted kids are described in the press, I urge you to reach out to fostering, adoption and children’s charities. They are probably fed up of this language as well.
In recent years, due to pressure and engagement between charities and the press, papers voluntarily signed up to avoid distressing language around suicide. You might have noticed how different it is lately?
Best outcome would be something similar between kids charities and press. I think they got there with child abuse which used to be “child prostitute”. You may get to describe feral behaviour (still problematic) you may not describe a child as feral.

• Heart
Reactions: 73
She really needs a better filter for her food photos. Everything is so dark and brown. I also can’t work out if those are spring onions or tiny green beans that came with the bag of diced carrots and onions.
Also... does this basic rice really need to be in a cookbook? I see she’s doing chapters by food category... like Nigella’s new book. Are we going to have a chapter dedicated to boiled eggs?

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Jesus Christ-maybe just tell the guardian to read the wiki here on jack? Where to even start?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Lads. Lads, without being too bossy but at the same time, being really bossy...
You won’t Get anywhere with the Guardian. You don’t have a Cooper in a being forcibly brushed chance. 🔺 me I know how it works.
However, if you do wish to do “something” about the way fostered and adopted kids are described in the press, I urge you to reach out to fostering, adoption and children’s charities. They are probably fed up of this language as well.
In recent years, due to pressure and engagement between charities and the press, papers voluntarily signed up to avoid distressing language around suicide. You might have noticed how different it is lately?
Best outcome would be something similar between kids charities and press. I think they got there with child abuse which used to be “child prostitute”. You may get to describe feral behaviour (still problematic) you may not describe a child as feral.
This is such a good point. Thank you. I think like everyone else, my upset over the use of the word “feral” is bigger than our issues with Jack. It’s (for want of a better word) unacceptable to see it used in a national newspaper in this way. And so this is what I’d like to do now, knowing that the Guardian themselves won’t help, find a meaningful way to challenge this kind of language. Seriously, thank you. Are there any charities in particular you would recommend? I understand if you don’t want to answer that, and I’ll happily research myself, I just want to get this right.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.