Jack Monroe #137 NarcLife by Bootstrap Crook

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really am starting to think a lot of Jack's public histrionics aren't for twitter followers at all (or indeed Tattle), but to put off her sponsors and collaborators metaphorically pounding at the door.
I totally agree! Plus her publisher and agent who follow her.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I want to compare Jack to Meera Sodha for a minute based on comments about the Linda Mc debacle. She isn't vegan or vegetarian, but she writes a vegan column in the Guardian and has written a couple of highly acclaimed books including East which I've been cooking my way through with fantastic results. Her insta is a delight; she's got a paid partnership with Ocado doing a vegan recipe which has over 39,600 views. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pick her apart or suggest to the Guardian or Ocado that they don't use her because she's not vegan (not saying they haven't) or complain about her. That's because she remains charming, professional, her recipes are delicious and they work and she's never published polemics saying that she's going vegan and that meat is full of violence. Her family were Ugandan Indians so I doubt she had an especially charmed early life. Anyway I highly recommend her body of work.
I absolutely love her books. So full of joy and family history and love of food. Gujarati cooking is less known in Europe than northern Indian cuisine so a lot of it is completely new to me. I'm not a vegan or veggie either but have found myself eating more that way lately as I grunk😅 through "Fresh India". It's worth noting that a lot of the recipes are really cheap if you're on a budget too. Lots of her recipes are on the Guardian website for free.

Can you imagine Meera telling someone to get to absolute duck?

Reactions: 34
BTW it looks like "4 fat cloves of garlic or 6 dinky ones" is here to stay. Both Linda McC recipes have the same garlic requirement.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
BTW it looks like "4 fat cloves of garlic or 6 dinky ones" is here to stay. Both Linda McC recipes have the same garlic requirement.
It's amazing two such different recipes requiring the exact same amount of garlic. Quite the coincidence.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
The MBE thing has killed me off. I don't know if I'm just tired but I am absolutely HOOTING. Jack Monroe MBE ffs!!!! PLEASE can it be our next thread title pretty please :D

I have a feeling she won't be featured on the Linda McCartney page anymore. She's pissed off the vegans now - TWICE! I think the low welfare meat thing just makes it all so much worse, they couldn't even find a non-vegan cook who doesn't eat pig hole sausages?

• Haha
Reactions: 50
The MBE thing has killed me off. I don't know if I'm just tired but I am absolutely HOOTING. Jack Monroe MBE ffs!!!! PLEASE can it be our next thread title pretty please :D

I have a feeling she won't be featured on the Linda McCartney page anymore. She's pissed off the vegans now - TWICE! I think the low welfare meat thing just makes it all so much worse, they couldn't even find a non-vegan cook who doesn't eat pig hole sausages?
You know how some people have the Midas touch , Jack offers the Monroe touch , it
all turns to slop.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
The more I think about the vegan thing...

If I were a vegan food company, I'd see two possible routes. Partner with an established vegan influencer OR if I were explicitly targeting "meat reducers", partner with an influencer who's doing Veganuary. This would potentially have a bit of relatable content too - I would expect them to go over what's easier or harder than they imagined, what challenges they've come up against, etc. At the end of the month a wrap up with lessons learned and so on.

Jack Monroe fits neither of those boxes. She's not a committed vegan, she's not vegan-curious, she's not even doing Veganuary. She was briefly the Most Vegan Vegan Ever To Have Veganed, then quietly ditched it, claiming veganism is a privilege, claiming her doctor told her to eat fish, etc. So she's pissed off the vegans.

But she also can't put up relatable content for "meat reducers", because if I'm finding Veganuary tough, I pop over to her page and she's cooking chicken! And cheap frozen chicken at that.

Maybe some of this could be forgiven if she made appetising meals? But her food looks utterly vile, and doesn't even showcase the product.

All in all, disaster. And that's without even getting into her lack of proofreading and generally slapdash work...

• Heart
Reactions: 63
I was poking about Linda McCarney's socials and I noticed there seems to be a lot of love for her duck substitute, even from meat eaters. I haven't tried it or actual duck so I can't comment on that but I do think that if Jack sloppifies it, there will be real world consequences from enraged faux duck fans. I am therefore praying that Jack tackles duck next and calls it something abysmal like Softy Softy No Quacko Tacos but it's just a big bowl of brown slop.
tbf the duck is really good and if she tries to ruin it I may have to have a massive hissy fit

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.