Jack Monroe #137 NarcLife by Bootstrap Crook

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bit embarassing awarding herself an MBE. Huge cringe.
I wonder if they Wikipedia-ed her and caught sight of “MBE” on the page (her Dad’s)?

Either way, can’t imagine she’ll be rushing to correct them. She prob won’t feel as strongly about as she does when she gets called a “chef”.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Oi i had to google quick to see if this fool actually had an MBE. I swear she'd get it tattooed on her head if she did. Loves a claim to fame.

Also, robots lot need to grow tf up.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
7 comments now in IG, only 2 positive. Wowee. Got your money's worth there didn't you Linda?

'where's the sausages'is my favourite....

• Haha
Reactions: 40
I ought to have expanded more on the Sodha recipe - the fault of it I feel was mine...Richmond vegan sausages weren't available when I cooked it but I understand completely that they would have been a better sub given the recipe was designed for actual meat sausages for flavour and fats etc. Sodha's clearly has history all bundled up into it whereas Jack's is just a lazy buggery of ingredients without thought, and I fell somewhere between the two - a veggie sausage would not be my first substitute product I would ever pick for a dish inspired by Indian or adjacent cuisines, so I don't understand why Jack did.

I have East on my to-buy list because I have the same impression of Sodha as you re: professionalism.
I hadn't even seen your post when I typed it so it wasn't a dig!

Tonnes of the East ones are in her columns online. I've made absolutely loads from it or the ones online that aren't in the book. I really recommend her.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Caitlin Moran is another one who shouts so much about things eg that she is a FEMINIST and was POOR that people accept it without question.
She's eked out her origin story into about six books, a tv series and a film so far without even a flimsy pretext like cooking to conceal it - she must be Jack's hero.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I want to compare Jack to Meera Sodha for a minute based on comments about the Linda Mc debacle. She isn't vegan or vegetarian, but she writes a vegan column in the Guardian and has written a couple of highly acclaimed books including East which I've been cooking my way through with fantastic results. Her insta is a delight; she's got a paid partnership with Ocado doing a vegan recipe which has over 39,600 views. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pick her apart or suggest to the Guardian or Ocado that they don't use her because she's not vegan (not saying they haven't) or complain about her. That's because she remains charming, professional, her recipes are delicious and they work and she's never published polemics saying that she's going vegan and that meat is full of violence. Her family were Ugandan Indians so I doubt she had an especially charmed early life. Anyway I highly recommend her body of work.
Yes.With Jack I don't think it's the fact she's not vegan or veggie that's making people angry but it's the way she jumped on veganism when it was having a bit of a moment only to dump it later. If she's been upfront from the start and said she wasn't vegan but enjoyed vegan cooking or was looking to cut back on meat there might be have been a bit of grumbling from the more purist online vegans but it wouldn't have gained any traction. It's partly the dishonesty and being taken for mugs by a bandwagon jumper that's the issue. That the recipes themselves look foul and almost no effort has been made just adds insult to injury.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
She's eked out her origin story into about six books, a tv series and a film so far without even a flimsy pretext like cooking to conceal it - she must be Jack's hero.
I actually have a quote from a Tattle member on the Caitlin Moran thread saved in my phone
"I think of Caitlin Moran as my gateway drug to feminism, like BodyPump is to powerlifting. The minute you read any actual feminist theory you realise what a daft cow she actually is."
As someone active in both those topics it made me hoot but also think about the fact that about 10 years ago I was a complete Moran fangirl.

But yes, total parallels of rehashing background between Monroe and Moran are just hilarious, but don't give Jack ideas...soon her dad will also have bred border collies.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
The floofle might be someone else’s IP, Jack and the robot bloke need to be careful. My kid has a lot of “how to draw cute cartoon characters” type books, they basically teach you how to copy the pictures in them. The style of the thing and the way SB drew it, pencil first then gone over in pen, look exactly like the pictures my kid produces using those books. Fine for a child’s drawing you stick on the fridge, not so great if an adult is claiming it as an original design.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
I wonder if it is a tactic with Jack re sponsorship with companies. Do the bare minimum at the beginning of the campaign, and do even that in a half arsed fashion, then sort of by mutual consent the project is very quietly dropped and forgotten. Meanwhile emails from the company consistently ignored while Jack on twitter does a performative 'illness'. Company feels they can't pursue it.

Reactions: 32
Not to turn this into a Caitlin Moran thread but, my Christ, does she get on my nerves. Wheels out and recycles the same origin story time and time again. Talks about being working class and over-romanticises eating cheese off of a stick as a child from the comfort of her massive house in Crouch End knowing that living in poverty (for her and her immediate family) is a reality which exists in a parallel universe.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I wonder if it is a tactic with Jack re sponsorship with companies. Do the bare minimum at the beginning of the campaign, and do even that in a half arsed fashion, then sort of by mutual consent the project is very quietly dropped and forgotten. Meanwhile emails from the company consistently ignored while Jack on twitter does a performative 'illness'. Company feels they can't pursue it.
Definitely. Plus Jack repeatedly telling them that because she's such a loud mouth leftie tattooed working class lezzer (her words but not verbatim) they will get criticism and negative comments. But such messages are only from trolls. It has nothing to do with the quality of her work. And the fact that a watery floating brown sausage stew with glistening kidney beans is boke worthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
The other recipe pics on the Linda McC Insta look really nice (and I say this as a meat eater!). What a shame, Jack's food is the kind of tit that vegan-haters think vegans eat.
I was poking about Linda McCarney's socials and I noticed there seems to be a lot of love for her duck substitute, even from meat eaters. I haven't tried it or actual duck so I can't comment on that but I do think that if Jack sloppifies it, there will be real world consequences from enraged faux duck fans. I am therefore praying that Jack tackles duck next and calls it something abysmal like Softy Softy No Quacko Tacos but it's just a big bowl of brown slop.

• Haha
Reactions: 55
I’ll add my bit of Caitlin Moran derail then shut up. I’m about the same age as her, I remember reading her first newspaper columns which were written when she was in her teens and thinking what an interesting life she’d had compared to mine, and feeling both a bit dull and a bit jealous of her success. I never religiously followed her stuff, but came across it every so often and I swear every single thing I’ve read or seen by her is a rehash of her origin story. Every. Single. Thing. All that’s missing is the musical and the theme park ride version, and I’m sure she’s working on that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Hmmm. I would probably put Caitlin Moran’s origin story half way between Jade Goody and Jack Monroe. She’s no SlumDog Millionaire.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I actually have a quote from a Tattle member on the Caitlin Moran thread saved in my phone
"I think of Caitlin Moran as my gateway drug to feminism, like BodyPump is to powerlifting. The minute you read any actual feminist theory you realise what a daft cow she actually is."
As someone active in both those topics it made me hoot but also think about the fact that about 10 years ago I was a complete Moran fangirl.

But yes, total parallels of rehashing background between Monroe and Moran are just hilarious, but don't give Jack ideas...soon her dad will also have bred border collies.
Pahahahaha I think this was me

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Not necessarily a Caitlin Moran fan but I do like her writing and she does make me laugh. So even if her 'origin story' is exaggerated like Jack's, at least she actually has a talent and some personality.

Jack has no redeeming features which is why she's chasing the kind of success that people like Caitlin have had.

Reactions: 23
I think that is what has happened with Del Monte.
Only 3 posts, very few likes. Latest pic doesn't even mention Jack.

I was poking about Linda McCarney's socials and I noticed there seems to be a lot of love for her duck substitute, even from meat eaters. I haven't tried it or actual duck so I can't comment on that but I do think that if Jack sloppifies it, there will be real world consequences from enraged faux duck fans. I am therefore praying that Jack tackles duck next and calls it something abysmal like Softy Softy No Quacko Tacos but it's just a big bowl of brown slop.
I can absolutely verify the loveliness of the LM fake duck!!! Her hoisin pancake kit is a favourite in our house of carnivores!

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Not necessarily a Caitlin Moran fan but I do like her writing and she does make me laugh. So even if her 'origin story' is exaggerated like Jack's, at least she actually has a talent and some personality.

Jack has no redeeming features which is why she's chasing the kind of success that people like Caitlin have had.
Caitlin can definitely write. And I think her particular brand of feminism is fine if you read it as though you’re a 15 year old. And nothing wrong with that.

She does come across a tad smug though.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Not to turn this into a Caitlin Moran thread but, my Christ, does she get on my nerves.
CM and her egregious dickheadedness is a hill I've been dying on for 28 years now. Two cheeks of the same arse, her and Monroe.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.