Jack Monroe #135 No measurable outcomes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It pains me to see all of the SW recipes as they're mostly just low-fat, low-sugar, low-flavour versions of stuff that's already relatively low-calorie anyway. If you want a tin of tomato soup, there are dozens of brands and types to be found in stores, and none are very heavy. The amount of sweeteners in most of the recipes does tend to worry me a bit purely because I'm wary of artificial additives ...
I find some of the things that slimming world promotes to be questionable. I think those mugshot noodle soup things are “free” but an avocado which contains all sorts of nutrients has syns I believe. I do think jack has nicked a few things as she does the Diet Coke chicken and the carrot overnight oats amongst other things.

THAT MAN posted a really nice sounding Malaysian style sea bass recipe earlier. His joy of food is so obvious

Reactions: 33
Although I'm new here, and you are all brilliant, I do wonder if Jack throws out nuggets of misinformation, getting a kick from watching the reaction here. I'm sure it's been said before...
The joke would be on her though, as she'd still look like a tit for putting it out

• Haha
Reactions: 24
So this Friday she could have cooked some of that lovely fish she got. Just steaming it, with fresh lemon juice and some nice potatoes, maybe?
But instead she made a brown meal with unidentifyable ingredients.
Is that what Jesus would have wanted, cabal?

• Haha
Reactions: 46
It’s funny - I didn’t know what a ‘grifter’ was until Monday or Tuesday this week! I’m obsessively watching her patreon page though and her funders have increased from 200-odd earlier this week to over 350 now. 😳
How is she ever going to find the time to post all those extra recipe cards???? (Jk, she won't post them anyway)

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I find some of the things that slimming world promotes to be questionable. I think those mugshot noodle soup things are “free” but an avocado which contains all sorts of nutrients has syns I believe. I do think jack has nicked a few things as she does the Diet Coke chicken and the carrot overnight oats amongst other things.

THAT MAN posted a really nice sounding Malaysian style sea bass recipe earlier. His joy of food is so obvious
A lot of the 'free' stuff has more calories that just eating the original versions. Like blending sodding baked beans and pickled onions to make tomato soup. There was a Pinch of Nom thread on here that was enlightening but it seems to have sadly died, but some of their creations could give old Jackie a run for her money.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
So this Friday she could have cooked some of that lovely fish she got. Just steaming it, with fresh lemon juice and some nice potatoes, maybe?
I know it's a weird thing to worry about but I just know she's going to do something utterly hateful with the Red Mullet and I'm upset already.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Jesus would have told her to shove that shite right back up the ring piece it came out of, pushed her out of the road and headed for the freezer and cooked up a fishy storm for the leper’s and prostitutes of south end

• Haha
Reactions: 40
I wrote a long post that was deleted, in which I tried to work out the employment timeline during The Poverty from archives of her deleted early blogs. It's very clear from her old blogs that this was a time of on-off employment, during which she chose not to go on all the benefits she was entitled to. She started working as a local news reporter in February 2013, but she had a weekly column since at least autumn 2012, and maybe late summer. I checked and weekly columnists do get paid, and would have probably covered her alleged weekly 10 quid food budget several times over.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Ah.. Apologies.
It’s her Patreon that bothers me. I’ve no idea of her twitter numbers but as for the poor sods that are actually paying her (and feeling good for doing so) - it’s gutting. Apologies if I’ve (very likely) misread the 200-and-something, but to be positive, it’s that outrage that led me here.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I know it's a weird thing to worry about but I just know she's going to do something utterly hateful with the Red Mullet and I'm upset already.
don't worry, we share the same worries!!!
Especially because I really love fish and it breaks my heart knowing what she will do to the whole lot. I was actually envious and angry when she got it. And I am rarely envious.

Reactions: 25
I quit slimming world after we sat round in a circle, and a few long-timers discussed whether ibuprofen was sugarcoated, and how much it could have affected effected their weight loss that week.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 80
I am fascinated by the fact that she’s never been called out on her bullshit by anyone who’s known her in real life.No old school friends,no ex colleagues, family. Nothing,nada.
It would be bleeping glorious if someone turned up on a thread to spill the tea 🤣
She's not famous enough to bother scrutinising for most people, also she changed her name which would have put some of them off the scent. I reckon she was a wallflower at school who people barely remember.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

At risk of derailing/me-railing here but I tried Slimming World and thought the same, especially with avocados! As others have mentioned with tomato soup - if you bought a tomato soup (even cream of tomato!) for one portion as per the guidelines on the packaging, it's a low-calorie meal.

I keep on going back to the meal Jack has cooked for Linda McCartney. duck me, it looks horrendous and I've been a veggie for well over a decade. I reckon that's what my old man has nightmares of me feeding him when I tell him and my mum that I'm cooking a vegetarian tea.

• Haha
Reactions: 34

It definitely seems like they push certain products because they're affiliated with them, yeah - surely the best diet is one that prioritizes balanced macros and nutrients/vitamins rather than whatever sugar-free packet/tinned/pre-made thing that's in shops? In saying that I'm probably biased because I just really hate diet culture!

I quit slimming world after we sat round in a circle, and a few long-timers discussed whether ibuprofen was sugarcoated, and how much it could have affected effected their weight loss that week.
YIKES, that's definitely a really dangerous way of thinking 😰

There are even some really lovely fish curries out there (Thai curries and also a Goan curry I remember seeing in a cookbook somewhere?), but nah, slop is always on the menu.

Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.