Jack Monroe #135 No measurable outcomes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nuts that Linda McCartney got someone who is neither a vegan nor a chef to create recipes for them

• Haha
Reactions: 54
I’ve been lurking for a long time but recently I just can’t cope.
My mum died almost two years ago from pneumonia/ Alzheimer’s. My dad cared for her at home with little support. Where was Jack then, ‘standing up for the little folk’?!? Carers / support staff have been disregard since March. But that doesn’t generate headlines so she doesn’t give a tit.

Apologies, it’s my birthday, I’ve had wine, and I miss my mum, so I may be overly emotional. I will now head back into lurckerville where I belong.

Absolutely duck off
Sorry about your mum , & happy birthday x

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I totally agree with the comments about JM being a terrible choice of “cook” to write for L McCartney.
But when the company started the aim was to produce vegetarian food which resembled meat (taste wise) to encourage people to stop eating meat. I have been vegetarian for 40 years, and I have never liked the L McC stuff because it tastes meaty🤮

Reactions: 24
Other observations from the article:

About her childhood home: "we lived in a house, it had a roof". Here is her usual painting a false picture without outright lying. Of course, her house did indeed have a roof. You could interpret that she was being literal, or grateful for the normality. But her language has the effect of diminishing her 5 bed detached, and makes the reader think that she is comparing it to something else they had that didn't have a roof, and now she is grateful.

She was not on benefits for almost all of 2011, she didn't leave the fire service until November.

She had a weekly column in her local paper before the "tit Christmas" interview. It didn't lead to it. I'm pretty sure her "friend" was someone who also worked at the paper, so her column led to her interview, not the other way round. However, the February after, she was employed as a reporter by the paper.

Her trying to make a noise about inadequate food provisions, then feeling like she was shouting into the wind, is because she was. Anyone would think from her words that she was doing legitimate work as an activist then being ignored by recalcitrant decision makers, rather than howling and screeching on twitter.

She didn't just get a book contract in early 2013, she also got a regular media work, and several regular journalist jobs. She would have been very well paid already. If she really was evicted - and I doubt it - it would have been because of her insatiable desire for luxuries and her rent getting neglected.

"A long period in my life where the only people who knocked on the door were bailiffs or debt collectors" - acting as if she doesn't have a large and supportive family as well as her co-parent right around the corner, and painting the impression as if she was all alone. The Poverty was self-inflicted due to opting not to go on all the benefits she was entitled to, and lasted less than a year, at leats part of which she was actually employed. I highly doubt that she would have reached the bailiffs stage in that short time. By 26th November 2012, she was already blogging that her photography, art and craft business was doing ok, and she was keeping her head above water and not losing money. She was also doing exhibitions, I don't know if they pay. She also said that she had quit a regular job and registered as self employed in early November. She was working hard at her art business and happy she quit her job.

She says she's on high dose of anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication, but not ADHD medication, despite her claims at being diagnosed.

She acts as if people are sadistically saying she should suffer more, a complete strawman response to what people are actually saying, which is that she's LYING about her poverty, and a precious middle class twit who couldn't cope with a few self-inflicted months of what much of the population is forced to live for all of their lives.

Just because Jack keeps saying she's not speaking over the poor, she's just graciously allowing them to funnel through her platform, doesn't make it true. She is speaking over and for the poor, and this is her defense.

The journalist's comment in the end about Jack not looking after herself and forcing her to hang up to practice self-care, and "she doesn't really look after herself, which makes you feel quite protective; but it's her worldview, as much as her person, you want to protect". This is squiggle mentality in a nutshell. She makes herself look extremely fragile, and selfless and good, so they jump to the defense of this vulnerable little hero. This is compounded by ideology and wanting to support fellow "good" people "on their side".

• Heart
Reactions: 83
Taken from the Twitter feed of the former journalist, Zoe Williams. Something tells me that 'RoadsideMum' is not entirely happy with unfolding events.

View attachment 386789

Something is not quite right amongst those at the poverty party. I hope RM can carefully navigate through her new found position of prominence.

View attachment 386816
Jack's earworm. This town aint big enough for the big us.

because there is only room for one voice of the Poor, and Jack isn't about to share the cake.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Low welfare sausage & bacon products consistently featuring in her recipes for months on end, but you know, meat reducing. My arse. Not to mention the freezer full of 🐟🦀🦐🐳 slowly, gently getting scoffed while whipping herself up in to a frenzy over poor feral kids starving. Still, Linda herself picked her for the collab from heaven, it's what she wanted 🐤🐦😇🐷🐷🐽 snouts in every poor persons dinner

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 53

For such an ardent social campaigner she really didn’t do any due diligence into Del Monte did she? It took me all off five minutes to find these two news reports of the company’s shady practices. Tropical fruit companies have a horrendous reputation historically for their behaviour. I’m surprised (not) that she doesn’t know this, or doesn’t care as long as they’re paying her.
She doesn’t care. I don’t think she bothers to do any research into offers she gets (see also: Unilever). I don’t think she’s turning anything down, I think she takes everything she’s offered.
Mind you, she’s not actually done anything for Del Monte yet has she? Which is odd as she’s nearly 1/3rd of the way through a 6 month contract. 🤔

Reactions: 36
I always think she appeals to people so far removed from poverty that they can't comprehend how full of tit she is.

Unscrewing the lightbulbs? Sounds rough, then you think deeper and go, "hang on a minute, no."

Socks as sanitary pads? No. I had a time of not having the money for pads when I was younger. I wadded up toilet paper from public toilets, like you do if you have a period surprise that you're not prepared for. But that doesn't sound as extreme, does it?
This is it in a nutshell.

Also would it not be more expensive to waste socks as fanny pads, than to just buy fanny pads? The socks wouldn't work well, her underwear would be soiled, and she would then need to spend time and washing powder trying to unfuck them up.

Of course, she could have just nipped round the corner to Mum's and asked them to lend her a couple of quid.

Another thing I don't understand is that she was very politically active during The Poverty. All of this would have involved travel money. Some official meetings will refund your travel, but not going to demonstrations and stuff. One bus fare is probably three packets of pads.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Other observations from the article:

About her childhood home: "we lived in a house, it had a roof". Here is her usual painting a false picture without outright lying. Of course, her house did indeed have a roof. You could interpret that she was being literal, or grateful for the normality. But her language has the effect of diminishing her 5 bed detached, and makes the reader think that she is comparing it to something else they had that didn't have a roof, and now she is grateful.

She was not on benefits for almost all of 2011, she didn't leave the fire service until November.

She had a weekly column in her local paper before the "tit Christmas" interview. It didn't lead to it. I'm pretty sure her "friend" was someone who also worked at the paper, so her column led to her interview, not the other way round. However, the February after, she was employed as a reporter by the paper.

Her trying to make a noise about inadequate food provisions, then feeling like she was shouting into the wind, is because she was. Anyone would think from her words that she was doing legitimate work as an activist then being ignored by recalcitrant decision makers, rather than howling and screeching on twitter.

She didn't just get a book contract in early 2013, she also got a regular media work, and several regular journalist jobs. She would have been very well paid already. If she really was evicted - and I doubt it - it would have been because of her insatiable desire for luxuries and her rent getting neglected.

"A long period in my life where the only people who knocked on the door were bailiffs or debt collectors" - acting as if she doesn't have a large and supportive family as well as her co-parent right around the corner, and painting the impression as if she was all alone. The Poverty was self-inflicted due to opting not to go on all the benefits she was entitled to, and lasted less than a year, at leats part of which she was actually employed. I highly doubt that she would have reached the bailiffs stage in that short time. By 26th November 2012, she was already blogging that her photography, art and craft business was doing ok, and she was keeping her head above water and not losing money. She was also doing exhibitions, I don't know if they pay. She also said that she had quit a regular job and registered as self employed in early November. She was working hard at her art business and happy she quit her job.

She says she's on high dose of anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication, but not ADHD medication, despite her claims at being diagnosed.

She acts as if people are sadistically saying she should suffer more, a complete strawman response to what people are actually saying, which is that she's LYING about her poverty, and a precious middle class twit who couldn't cope with a few self-inflicted months of what much of the population is forced to live for all of their lives.

Just because Jack keeps saying she's not speaking over the poor, she's just graciously allowing them to funnel through her platform, doesn't make it true. She is speaking over and for the poor, and this is her defense.

The journalist's comment in the end about Jack not looking after herself and forcing her to hang up to practice self-care, and "she doesn't really look after herself, which makes you feel quite protective; but it's her worldview, as much as her person, you want to protect". This is squiggle mentality in a nutshell. She makes herself look extremely fragile, and selfless and good, so they jump to the defense of this vulnerable little hero. This is compounded by ideology and wanting to support fellow "good" people "on their side".
'We lived in a house, it had a roof' for next thread title.
Just for the absurdity of it all.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 79
The Guardian is written BY the London-based blue-tick Groucho Club dinner party circuit FOR the London-based blue-tick Groucho Club dinner party circuit. Most of them are second-generation public eye (the offspring of celebs, broadcasters, politicians) who went to the right schools and knew the right people. It’s a well-padded echo chamber which is hardly conducive to developing the skill of critical thinking.
This Zoe woman is obviously an idiot and the article is a hagiography, with no evidence of fact-checking or verification at all.
Hello, fairly new poster here. Love your work, ladies, 😁. Williams is a total wanker. Used to pretend to be working class, meanwhile her maw was a Consultant and dad Theatre something or other (or other way round). I cannot STAND faux wc people. Common People comes to mind. Anyway, JM cut from same cloth. Thing is, I'm middle class, albeit lower, and I'm bleeping relived to be so, in the current economic climate. Its an actual privilege. I could easily do a Jack, based on these crappy cooncil bedsit I lived in when I could easily have a gone home to mummy and daddy. But it's inauthentic. Who has the energy for that?! JM needs to get out the way and let RM etc have the space to talk about real stigma and making ends meet.

• Heart
Reactions: 77
I can picture jack sliding into RM’s dm’s last week. Telling her how terrible it is in the public eye etc while snarfling up all the interviews like a greedy goblin....... for transparency I would like to see the fee and subsequent donation to charity.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
For some reason I just hear "we had a house, it had a roof" to the tune of sk8er boy but I like sherrif fatman to let it take over my ear worm :)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
My word, I miss a day and all sorts goes on. Apologies for not being hard at work here, I spent all Friday in bed dino napping as I felt dreadfully ill

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 40
For some reason I just hear "we had a house, it had a roof" to the tune of sk8er boy but I like sherrif fatman to let it take over my ear worm :)
We had a house
It had a roof
Can I make it any more obvious?
I'm middle class
I did ballet
What more can I say?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 114
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.