Jack Monroe #135 No measurable outcomes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jack didn't talk about anyone but herself in that article.

But according to Zoe she's the most admirable person I will ever meet.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 68
Do people still get utility bills sent to them? I thought it was all on line now. I know when my daughter started secondary the school admissions office wanted to see two utility bills to prove we lived where we said we lived. I think the best we could come up with were a car insurance renewal letter and my smear test reminder.
Very rare. My home and contents insurer recently decided that they'd rather duck off the whole insurance thing and go into smart tech. They informed me of this a week before my renewal date via an email that went straight to spam. If anything necessitated a letter, it would surely be that.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
View attachment 386793

She's getting it from all sides this week!
I love that she's getting earache off of people who she claims to serve and represent. I dislike people pleasers with a passion. Stand for nothing and you'll fall for anything. I have a lot more respect for people who make their stance clear and can explain why they have those views. Jack's weather vane approach has landed her in the tit with so many people and it will be DELICIOUS to see how she moves on from here.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Also the madness of that article “briefed to the Times so that no-one on a low income could read it”
1. Did they forget to include the words “behind a paywall” in that sentence or are poors impaired in some way that they no longer have the capability to read the Times? When you get poor, you get thinner and less able to see news in the Times?
2. Other non paywall news sources are available though, aren’t they

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Very rare. My home and contents insurer recently decided that they'd rather duck off the whole insurance thing and go into smart tech. They informed me of this a week before my renewal date via an email that went straight to spam. If anything necessitated a letter, it would surely be that.
Yeah I work in a primary school and numerous times we’ve been asked by parents to print off the PDF gas/electric/phone bill/statement that generally they offer buried on their website as proof of address for various purposes.

Also places that do send paper bills are increasingly charging for it, my mum can’t do online at all (and is a stubborn in the fact she has no interest) so she gets paper bills from BT and is charged for them. Which doesn’t fit JMs narrative, though is an interesting point about charging people who in some cases might not be able to afford the online stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: 34
Don't worry if you slip up and eat a pack of chicken slices from the yellow sticker section! Just delete any tweets about it and keep calling yourself vegan. That was then, this is now.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
Go squiggles

Go Squiggles!!!
Do you think Linda McCartney (the company, not the lady) knew Veganuary had binned her? Personally I think that's why Jacko was tagging Veganuary in December, to make LM think she was still on board...

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Still annoyed at the Guardian article, thought I should just do a sense check though. Edit-pic sizing
D75C9B19-111B-411E-894E-5F66349A7A42.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Shittttttttt.

And the moral of the story? Do not anger a vegan 😂
No doubt she'll either view them as an angry and feral mob who are trying to bully her out of a job or she'll start bigging up times where she has cooked vegan food (or something to that effect). Some vegans and vegetarians can get really protective over the term because, obviously, it's a lifestyle choice and can run really deep for some people. Believe it or not, Jack, some people actually care about animal welfare and will actively campaign (!) for the production of pig trotter sausages to end. Tbh, the squiggle who made a comment about vegan-ish is right. People don't want to feel like their dedication to a lifestyle which prioritises the welfare of animals is a quick trend an outsider can cash in on for quick money. I think the rule here is that if you're marketing a cookbook as vegetarian or vegan, it goes down a lot better in those circles if you are a certified vegetarian or vegan, as those terms do carry the implication of caring about not using animal products in more than just cooking.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I'm probably thinking about that article more than I should but Jack really resented those foster children didn't she? Describing them as sneaking about at night and eating frozen chips makes them sound desperate as well as 'feral'. Wouldn't a hungry or deprived child go for the bread and jam or some biscuits rather than try to eat frozen food?
It's harder for potentially angry parents to tell when a few frozen chips have been sneaked away than child-generated bread/jam/biscuit crumb carnage.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
What's happened to the six-month partnership with Del Monte? It was announced on 9th December but there hasn't been anything yet apart from the undeclared advert in the Express just before Christmas? Maybe it's one advert each month and January's is still to come? 🤷

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I know lots of other people have already commented on it, but the use of “feral” is just so inappropriate and offensive.

I work with traumatised children and it’s appalling that this phrase would be used and then printed by a newspaper.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
'I just ordered a couple of your books from Amazon. F*** the big corporate beasts...'

No, sorry, my brain is just going 'But...but...but...but...' and failing to come up with anything more than an incoherent splutter.
Oh bless ‘em. They know not what they do.

I sound like my Auntie Vi now (🔺although she’s just dust now).

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I'm probably thinking about that article more than I should but Jack really resented those foster children didn't she? Describing them as sneaking about at night and eating frozen chips makes them sound desperate as well as 'feral'. Wouldn't a hungry or deprived child go for the bread and jam or some biscuits rather than try to eat frozen food?
When she's prancing around in the night eating weird egg and fish combinations she's a greedy bleeping child goblin.
Completely agree! Her parents fostering in 1993 could have coincided with her starting school and it probably grated her corned beef knowing these random “feral” kids were at home with her mum!

She should be ashamed of her descriptions of her siblings in that article. She won’t be, but she should be.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.