Jack Monroe #135 No measurable outcomes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, if it is a six-year stack of bills, grow the duck up and pay them.

Sorry if getting bills for services you have used puts the shits up you, but you can damn well afford them. So pay them.
I can only imagine the uproar if people didn’t pay her when she billed them!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Why has she suddenly stopped being able to spell?? She there’s no “e” at the end of lens... #pedanticlenny

I’ve enjoyed those old blogs so thanks to everyone who’s uncovered those. Very very interesting that she didn’t seem to be claiming the correct benefits (although when she was, she seemed to pin the blame on her LA when they were late/wrong). Pure speculation but I wonder if her parents perhaps looked down their nose at benefit claimants and that’s filtered down. I’ve seen an increase in the amount of people on Facebook lately who are predominantly middle-class saying they don’t see why kids should get FSM when the parents have the latest iPhone etc, so the benefit system clearly doesn’t work blah blah generalised bullshit.

Jack could do so much more good by signposting things like benefits etc as well as foodbanks - sadly people never in this position before are finding they really need this help - but as always, it’s only what benefits her she’s interested in.
Funny you should say that about FB as I’ve been reading comments in a group this morning. You know the ones - all about the undeserving poor and ‘my mother fed us all in the war on two carrots and a parsnip’. Teach them to make soup. etc. MC retirees completely out of touch with the real world.

Jack plays to their narrative with her £20 slop shops.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Our last place had square bloody taps, so we didn't even have the luxury of one these 😂 (most grateful for a house with one shower now!) She's full of tit with her three showers, luxury goods, and furniture from skips and puddles.

Catching up again, but your parents not eating a meal with you isn't necessarily a sign of being poor. Some folk just don't eat with their kids. My brother and his wife like to eat super late, so the chicken nugget queen that is my niece eats her tea by herself. Or, like my parents used to sometimes, have a sneaky takeaway once us kids were out the way.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
Haha, I'm not saying it's unheard of, I love a comma, just an interesting coincidence ☺

Not gonna lie though, would love it if you were her in disguise. Faking a life as a sheep wrangler to hang out here? 10/10 commitment.
Lady Whistledown of the Wiltshire Horns

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I don’t have children or dependants, so your post have given me a new perspective on her attitude towards parenting. I know it shows my ignorance, but I hadn‘t thought of it that way. Although I’ve long thought that she’s anti women too (for reasons its too late to get into now!).
I think her grandiosity is maybe because, as we’ve seen, she actually avoids work as much as possible! So it’s like she’s protesting too much. Either way, like you and @Mel Donte said, her crappy Tory/middle class views are painfully clear 😬
There’s looooads of articles and think pieces out there on it but this is one of the first google results and tbh I think a really well rounded piece?

There definitely is a snobbishness around SAHMs amongst ~professional women & ive been guilty of it too, I’ve had tons of friends leave amazing roles in media/tech and I thought WHY but it’s only since becoming a mum myself I’ve truly got it? For women the burden of the majority of care giving and domestic work combined with working out the home 5 days a week can far exceed any benefits of work, even if in monetary terms it’s “worth” them going to work? And that’s not adding in discrimination and inflexible work places and all that grief? It’s such a hugely personal decision at the end of it and it’s hard enough trying to do it all without snobby cunts writing tit blog posts tbh!

Sorry mods I know this is naughty off topic, eagerly awaiting a raw egg breakfast off Jack tho??

• Heart
Reactions: 55
(Sorry that was actually a ridiculous overreaction and that's the one I'd delete. I'm very tired. But like actually tired, not Dino nap tired. Alone with a 5 month old that's given up on sleeping tired. Sorry for being a dick on our nice thread x)

• Heart
Reactions: 82
(Sorry that was actually a ridiculous overreaction and that's the one I'd delete. I'm very tired. But like actually tired, not Dino nap tired. Alone with a 5 month old that's given up on sleeping tired. Sorry for being a dick on our nice thread x)
Not a dick. x

Besides, I'm here for all the super-sleuthing and conspiracy theories I can get!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
I can’t read that Guardian piece. It’ll give me indigestion.

She coat-tailed RM and MR’s campaign to big-up her own reputation and ultimately her income. Yet she comes out as the heroine of the work by doing duck all. A triumph of style (via Twitter screeching) over substance.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
And such incredible good fortune that a great deal of her other belongings are apparently gifts.
Especially because you don't pay tax on reselling gifts or items you bought for personal use, but you do if you bought them for or through a business.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Oh Zoe. Minimal research would have produced a different piece.

“She is the living embodiment of the suffering that fiscal tightening causes, and also the most admirable person you will ever meet. She reminds me of Jack-a-Roe, the folksong heroine – swashbuckling, brave, sensitive, intelligent, kind. Life’s tough but she’s tougher. No government can kill the spirit, but it’s chastening to think how hard they try.”

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 64
The article claims she's been trying to make a noise about this since March.

I know mass Tweet deleting sprees make it hard to confirm this, so here's a quick overview of what Jack's been doing since March:

* having a temper tantrum about Jamie Oliver
* grating corned beef on a car crash of a TV show
* remodelling her shed
* doing a series of hideously embarrassing Instagram lives about mayonnaise
* giving herself ill-advised haircuts
* appropriating the BLM movement
* torturing a disabled kitten
* going to Edinburgh to eat at Five Guys the second Scotland opened the border
* relaxing in a hammock
* accusing David Walliams of being a racist cokehead
* suffering from ouchy mouth
* suffering from severe burnout
* facetuning herself into a 12-year-old
* writing about how great the Queen is in the Express
* having the worst covid ever, or not

and - mostly:

* complaining CONSTANTLY about how poor she is, begging for patreons, and pretending she lives on 20£ a week's worth of food for 2 - 3 people, despite her recipes routinely featuring other ingredients that weren't in het shopping

Here's what she did about hungry children:

* started following Marcus Rashford on Twitter AFTER his campaign was a success, having never mentioned it or him before
* interviewed Marcus Rashford for GQ, making it clear she was meeting him for the first time
* lied about working with Marcus Rashford, repeatedly

Well done Guardian.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 113
Oh no 😂 I was only saying it before any pitchforks started up. You weren’t being a dick. Hope you and the baby both get dino naps in today!
I know, I'm an absolute melt. Sorry ❤

Oh god NOW I'M EMBARASSED I'VE CAUSED MINOR THREAD DRAMA I WILL WRITE ALL IN CAPITALS TO COVER MY SHAME.

Ahem, anyway, I'll say something on topic, shall I? I'm not reading that Guardian article. Absolutely not. She's like the sad faced local paper pictures but somehow in a national paper. It makes no sense.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
Apparently she is sign posting people to where they can get help, must have missed those posts as I only spotted the ranting angry ones!

Secondly she says her family where a 'shove up and help others' type.
Weird then that they didn't help her when she was struggling.

I mentioned on the other thread the utter echo chamber of twitter and how most people don't seem to look even slightly beyond what claims are being made.

But to read that article this morning is horrific. They believe every word. Where is the journalistic integrity, the research, the questioning? It reads like an article on a teenage fan site for a popular artist.

The current narrative of good and bad people with pithy sound bites representing each side eg 'I called him a liar', is really distracting from any depth of conversation or understanding of complexities around issues.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
It's interesting what she blogs as examples of hardship in her twenties. I had my children in my mid twenties and live with their father (my now husband). I didn't work until they both started school and he earned 20k pa. So we were not well off at all.
- We rented until our early thirties (when I rejoined the workforce)
- We went to our parent's at Christmas until we bought a home too
- We had secondhand furniture from family, friends, and free cycle
- If we felt flush we'd buy from IKEA.
- I knitted things like blankets and cushions using poundland wool
- My sons shared a bedroom in a two bed ex council house that we rented

Now this did not feel like a massive hardship. It felt fairly normal. It also made it very easy to save a deposit when I started working.

Jack almost describes a life I'd have to give up today in those blogs. I'm in my late thirties and well off.

Also did she describe plugging in a TV aerial as though it was the height of aerospace engineering??? Jesus wept.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 70
Also, that recipe is basically vegan sausages in a korma sauce without the turmeric:sick:
Trouble is people in the bubble this could cooked for might like the sausages but not the slop. And that means WASTE which is inexcusable when people on the food supply chain are putting their lives at risk. So give the slop recipes a rest Jack and you Linda find a better partner

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.