Jack Monroe #126 Dangling her fl*ps over a Cotswold sideboard like none of it matters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was it about those Counting Crows?
Not that 😕 I was just whining about people with their own take on covid rules should have been more specific in my wording though 😔. That was like opening a can of worms and I didn't even have a tin opener !.

Reactions: 15
Surely the ring pull on a tin makes it more expensive, thus making non-ring pull tins cheaper and better for the poors?
This makes me want to rinse out tins and compare, in a forensic manner, the mass (g) of metal in tins of cheap food to the mass (g) in tins of expensive food.

I will then subtract the mass (g) of any observed ring pulls.

Findings will be presented in a spreadsheet, colour coded with Harvard referencing.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
who'd have thunk that, out of all of the jacks, actual can opener jack would be the most boring? and all because of a divvy who wouldn't just open a tin of beans for his daughter. pie jesu!

also, the only joie tin opener on Amazon is £18.74, imported from America. there's one on asda for a fiver, but Not Good reviews. the oxo good grips is £10.99. so much for 50p ones 🤷‍♀️. just surprised she didn't actually include her affiliate links

and, yes, I appreciate fully that I've looked them up just after saying how boring it all is! I'm too far down the rabbit hole and I have no life! 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Surely the ring pull on a tin makes it more expensive, thus making non-ring pull tins cheaper and better for the poors?
This is exactly what I had assumed having grunka’d through the last few pages. Supermarkets will cut costs on value ranges , including what I assume would be cheaper tins without ring pulls . Showing my hideous middle class-ness here but a quick check of all my current tins reveals that they are all ring pulls.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
She’s bonkers about the can openers. We give them out in our local food bank ....we never assume people will have one. Most people have got one but sometimes they are gratefully accepted as the person’s old one isn’t so sharp anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
She definitely won't like it in a couple of years when SB hits that teen boy growth spurt and gets taller than her.
Hey Jack, I'm 5 foot 8 and the shortest in my family, oh and son are both well over 6 foot, and our daughter is 5foot10ish.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
who'd have thunk that, out of all of the jacks, actual can opener jack would be the most boring? and all because of a divvy who wouldn't just open a tin of beans for his daughter. pie jesu!

also, the only joie tin opener on Amazon is £18.74, imported from America. there's one on asda for a fiver, but Not Good reviews. the oxo good grips is £10.99. so much for 50p ones 🤷‍♀️. just surprised she didn't actually include her affiliate links

and, yes, I appreciate fully that I've looked them up just after saying how boring it all is! I'm too far down the rabbit hole and I have no life! 🤣
Ocado stock joie, not that she uses them obviously, she was very quick to delete that one on her alt.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Honestly, if you are so poor you can't afford a £2 tin opener, that's bleeping fucked up. Once again, she's missing the bigger picture so she can remind us that she's a former food bank user. Stop compartmentalising poverty (food poverty, tin opener poverty, period poverty). If you can't afford the most basic stuff, you are extremely poor and that this is possible in this rich country is disgraceful.
but you only need to buy one, not one every shop, just one 🙄

Reactions: 16
ETA: if I win the lottery I'm commissioning a (hopefully less violent) remake of the Shia lebouef song with "brexit tin thief Bubble Buddy" telling the tale from the perspective of a tin of del monte peaches

I'm so annoyed this piece of artistry and comedy has been ruined by...actual Shia LeBouef :mad:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Always buy the cheapest non ring pull tuna.

Always curse it when I spill fishy tuna water on myself because of our crappy can opener.
REFUSE to buy that extortionate can opener Jack recommends as its almost half the price of our weekly food shop!

Reactions: 12
I have ring pull and fully sealed.
The ring pulls are from when I was working and could afford such fripperies. Luckily, so is my tin opener (think it’s IKEA 🤷🏼‍♀️)
I am the right type of poor. I invested that £4 in my future tin opening needs, and didn’t waste it on fags/booze/tatts

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.