Jack Monroe #126 Dangling her fl*ps over a Cotswold sideboard like none of it matters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The poor can use their butter knives to help open ring pull tins though. If they don’t have butter knives, could they use a fish knife instead?

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Obviously I don’t have arthritis thankfully but I’m surprised at so many people having difficulty with Tin openers. I remember there being an old fashioned one in our house which I struggled with growing up but pretty sure any basic one o have used over the years has worked fine.... maybe I am just an expert in opening tins!
Is she still working for del Monte? Haven’t seen any of the promised recipes yet.
I do struggle a bit - I'm left-handed and I feel wrong and awkward trying to use one. 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Surely a can opener is one of those ‘store cupboard basics’. Like a measuring jug and a spoon and an expensive blender/ food pocessor.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
She won’t need to spend with all that donated fish ...I would bet she also has numerous tins of del Monte stuff.

Reactions: 24
I'm really glad JM has the guts to speak out about the tyranny of Big Tin Opener.

It's brilliant because she would never produce a recipe that included, for example, an expensive bullet blender, or a mere seven slow cookers. She's very consistent you see.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
Can you imagine going in for your food bank stuff and someone pointed at a tin of purple sardines and saying,
"Jack Monroe got you those, in case you were wondering..."
She reminds me of someone I know who has learning difficulties. This person is generous but when she gives or buys you anything she as to remind you and tell everyone that she gave) bought you it.

For the most part I don't mind as it's her way, but i never say anything other then here you go when I buy/ stuff give stuff to people. I don't need the fanfare.

duck me the party never stops with her.

I use a cheap £1.50 from all supermarkets and I'm left handed.

My elderly neighbour uses an electric one.

Why is she soooooo boring?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
jack is a meme now.png

Why would you ever in your life need to purchase (or be gifted, or find - it's all the same thing) FOURTEEN tin openers? As a freshly independent student I bought a Tesco Value one that broke on the first tin I tried to open so I bought a different one that was still under a fiver. That's two. It was a tin of Princes mandarins by the way, a very important detail if we're going to be forensic about it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
In my adult life I have had 2 tin openers. I am way older than her. The current one must be about 15 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I’m going to mentally add the cost of a tin opener to all her recipes from this day forward.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Surely the ring pull on a tin makes it more expensive, thus making non-ring pull tins cheaper and better for the poors?

Reactions: 21
Honestly, if you are so poor you can't afford a £2 tin opener, that's bleeping fucked up. Once again, she's missing the bigger picture so she can remind us that she's a former food bank user. Stop compartmentalising poverty (food poverty, tin opener poverty, period poverty). If you can't afford the most basic stuff, you are extremely poor and that this is possible in this rich country is disgraceful.
And if someone is that poor, they absolutely deserve better than someone’s grubby second hand kitchen utensils. You would think Jack would remember that but she was so keen to get her campaign for Great British Poverty Champion 2021 off the ground, she overlooked it

• Heart
Reactions: 30
You have to have the extra 50p in the first place makes a mockery of every costing she does where she includes a teaspoonful of something not sold by the teaspoon and why am I even arsed mate she is dreary
It’s cos she has to have a bladdy answer for everything. She can’t just concede graciously and say, ‘Yep, thanks for pointing that out.’ The only time she does that is when people tell her how hard she has it. 🤍🤍🤍

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
I haven’t even Grunka’d yet, and I’m on page 28, so I already apologise for where this lands.

However, this afternoon I was driving down yet another anonymous stretch of the A1 and all of a sudden my head was filled with ‘Brexit Tin Thief Louisa Compton’ and then @Switchstreetz avatar. It got to the point I was hooting up that lung so much that I had to pull over to look at the avatar and laugh again.

Thank you, especially to @Switchstreetz for making that tedious journey a little more bearable!
Honestly the artist formerly and still currently known as @Silver Linings really outdid themself with that masterpiece of a Photoshop. I smile every time I post now when I see it 😄

As if Jack's sharing some TED talk about being yourself even if it costs you work. YOU WRITE FOR THE DAILY EXPRESS...are you sure you want to imply that's the real you?!? 🤢

ETA: if I win the lottery I'm commissioning a (hopefully less violent) remake of the Shia lebouef song with "brexit tin thief Bubble Buddy" telling the tale from the perspective of a tin of del monte peaches

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.