Jack Monroe #121 Fahrenheit 106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a non-Brit I never understood the deal with triffle btw...is it worth having an opinion about it, or is ot one of those things people think is cute to have OPINIONS about to cover for a lack of personality* (like how the toilet roll should hang....I find it super boring when people tell me they HAVE to turn it around when they are somewhere else and see it hanging the 'wrong' way.)

*Years of internet dating made me very cynical about other people's opinions on trivial things, sorry.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Good morning and Merry Christmas Eve to you all. Have been trying to catch up so was grateful for a few slow thread days. Iā€™ve been (like a lot of people Iā€™m sure) teetering between the excitement of Christmas as I have little ones so want it to be magical, and also feeling like I may burst into tears at any moment because our families are all in another country and my (dear) heart misses them so much. But everything is covered in snow today and more is currently falling so Iā€™m choosing to take that as Christmas magic.
Iā€™m rambling (sorry) but just wanted to send huge love and hugs to all you bullying ninnies. Iā€™m so glad I joined this site as the humour and kindness on these threads have been such a lovely distraction this year, especially when its all got a bit much and Iā€™ve needed to be reminded of perspective and to appreciate what I do have. I canā€™t wait to see what the next 120+ threads bring and although we are strangers it doesnā€™t always feel that way.
Now the emotional dump is out the way, you can all duck off.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 84
Is she really spending her Christmas Eve morning slating other recipes from her sickbed?

We need an expert in South Asian cookery to go through her myriad curry recipes. I'm sure there would be HOOTING and ROARING a-plenty.

EDIT

Speaking of trifle, the trifle flavoured Irish cream from M&S is heavenly.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
As a non-Brit I never understood the eal with triffle btw...is it worth having an opinion about it, or is ot one of those things people think is cute to have OPINIONS about to cover for a lack of personality* (like how the toilet roll should hang....I find it super boring when people tell me they HAVE to turn it around when they are somewhere else and see it hanging the 'wrong' way.)

*Years of internet dating made me very cynical about other people's opinions on trivial things, sorry.
Itā€™s a revolting childrenā€™s pudding made with cold custard. Each to their own, but itā€™s peak middle class Twitter, I would imagine. Have a Yule log instead.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
As a non-Brit I never understood the deal with triffle btw...is it worth having an opinion about it, or is ot one of those things people think is cute to have OPINIONS about to cover for a lack of personality* (like how the toilet roll should hang....I find it super boring when people tell me they HAVE to turn it around when they are somewhere else and see it hanging the 'wrong' way.)

I've never liked trifle because of it's lack of texture. Jack's probably outraged as these recipes contain a crunch element and she only makes slop šŸ˜‚

It's definitely not a sacred dish in the UK because a trifle is quite dated...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
She's saying she actually shouted at the sight of some different takes on trifle?
Is she not aware of her body of work?

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Her entire schtick is any ingredient can be subbed with anything else, and all cooking methods are essentially ā€œstick it in one bowl/saucepan/pot in one goā€ and all words and definitions in instructions are meaningless and subject to interpretation, so Iā€™m not sure on what principles sheā€™s able to criticise any other recipe?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
It's hilarious to see her tutting about gorgeous looking puds. Good for anyone currenlty experiencing an irony-deficiency (badum-tssjjj)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I do like trifle but Iā€™m not sure anybody gives enough of a tit to have opinions about how other people make it šŸ˜‚ and the nerve of her to say BBC good food have tweaked something wrong when she has grilled tinned grapefruit and added it to defrosted prawns!!

• Haha
I'm so sorry I don't mean to be rude but absolutely get to duck, chocolate trifle is delicious. Chocolate orange trifle with layers of choc Swiss roll SATURATED in orange liquer (orange juice is also delicious for alcohol free), chocolate custard (homemade if you're FANCY, out of a tin if you're me), fresh whipped cream on the top with just a touch of orange essence and finished with choc orange segments arranged artistically and some grated dark choc flakes to add some contast. Genuinely delicious and I recommend it to all of you (except Jack who doesn't deserve it)

• Heart
She's actually being astonishingly rude about other people's work, isn't she?

Imagine NigellaMum tweeting "haha, those baklava look tit" about someone else's efforts.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.