Jack Monroe #120 Jack and trace

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone reported her undeclared Del Monte ads to the ASA because I’m all over if not. The absolute gall of her to advise people to use lard but spend over the odds on tinned fruit. Despicable.
I reported the Express article but not her blog posts. I'm sure that more reports couldn't hurt!

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I can just see cat's reaction if I tried that. Probably a vengeance tit on the carpet, followed by dead rodent parts in unexpected places
🤣🤣 my cat used to do a dirty protest if she didn't like her food.
Normally in the hallway so when you stepped out of the room you'd stand in the poo!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
what is the silver thing in this bowl of sprouts? it's been bugging me for days...
That was in the disturbing cutlery drawer picture, I think.
Or it might be from the 'turned out all my cupboards' photo.
It's a spoon shaped like a twig. There were a couple and all were tarnished and grim and completely not suitable for actually dishing out food.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
My late MIL was a lard fan. You had to eat your roast dinner quick before the gravy set. When it cooled, you could lift it off your plate in one like a coagulated jelly frisbee. My OH didn’t know that gravy could move around the plate until he had a Sunday dinner at my mum’s.

We don’t use lard but still joke about that gravy - ‘another slice of gravy for anyone?’

Oh gawd

• Haha
Reactions: 19
They aren’t cooked. The oil needs to be smoking hot and the batter rested in the fridge for an hour to ensure they are light, fluffy clouds of deliciousness.
I never rest my batter (oo-er) but I do have smoking hot oil and excellent yorkies. Yorkies won't be decent at 180degrees C.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
"If you notice any errors DM me discreetly"

Can I point out that you can't DM any other way?
You can do a jack and write some arse lick message to a blue ticker like "I've DM'd you Hun!"
The temperature has risen then🙄 View attachment 352318
Over a WEEK?! I see the timeline is being stretched out like a warm curly wurly bar...at this rate by next Thursday she'll have had covid for a month.

just wanted to appreciate everyone who's donated to fareshare, Trussell trust, other charities or put shopping in their local food bank trolley, honestly warms my heart to see so much good coming from the people on these threads <3 (insert lots of white heart emojis). I'd actually already coincidentally made a donation earlier on Friday, but just topped it up with a larger amount today 💕

I reckon the average Frau is so much more empathetic, critical thinking and gives more to their community than all of her flying monkeys put together. We owe huge thanks to @Scarletfever for the idea to start the donation chain!

And if you're not in a position to donate then please don't feel pressured! You deserve a nice Xmas with the funds to treat yourself, not donating doesn't make you less of a Frau!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
“Watch out for the gravy” says Squiggle McChallenge-Jack

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE GRAVY FLYING MONKEYS.
The “watch out for the gravy!” really tickled me!
I think it’s because it came after a clear, thoughtful warning about the hazards of the pigs in blankets, then suddenly with no context “WATCH OUT FOR THE GRAVY!1!1!1!”

@Switchstreetz and @kachoochoo I’ve just made a small donation to the Trussell Trust and FareShare on behalf of you each. What a beautiful idea ❤ @Lanie you‘ve also inspired me to add some treats to my next food bank donation.
Edited to add @Scarletfever thank you for coming up with the idea of donations to show our appreciation for Switchstreetz’s actual hard work behind the scenes that went into the Sloppies ❤

BFA36B59-F138-40C9-B71D-8C5E6B6ADA94.jpeg
1E9092E8-1E41-4D89-AC6F-BC696EC92D8F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
This Xmas dinner thing is just so nonsensical. People are fawning all over it like they're Tiny Tim and she's saved Christmas, but...

Let's ignore the glaring fact that her food is utterly vile for a moment. Then it's just basic recipes; the only innovations are the vegan option (designed to convert people back to meat?), that bizarre dessert, the gravy 🤢, and the use of overpriced tinned fruit where it doesn't belong.

Apart from that, this is a standard roast dinner. There's nothing exciting, nothing new, nothing that might make you feel that this is a special, once-a-year meal. Roast chicken, potatoes, sprouts? No one was crying out for this.

Okay, so maybe she's done forensic (🤭) work to find the cheapest possible options? Nope. Commenters keep pointing out Aldi and Lidl, which she ignored, and she's shoehorned in her sponsors' expensive tinned fruit. Then she gets defensive about it, because the only person who matters - Jack herself - is incapable of crossing the threshold of German discount supermarkets, so they are utterly irrelevant.

So finally, has she made what Xmas dinner newbies really need - a detailed plan of the order to cook things, so everything is ready at the same time? Of course not. Instead we get inane, overwritten recipes with asides about how she loves to cut cherry tomatoes into eighths, and nothing clear like "add the sausages to the oven 20 minutes later" which people would actually benefit from.

In short: the emperor? Naaaaaaaked.

ETA: I started contributing regularly to a local foodbank charity a couple of months ago. I used to focus on other charities, but these threads got food poverty onto my radar too. So, err, thankyou Jack?

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Furthermore, how can you caption a photo of those flat, anaemic discs with "Have to say, I do make a cracking Yorkie"?
The only other time I've seen yorkies like that was when my mums oven (RIP) conked out whilst making Sunday dinner. We put them out for the fox (it's what the oven would have wanted) who seemed to like them but as foxes eat slugs on purpose and apparently hoses that's not saying much.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
This Xmas dinner thing is just so nonsensical. People are fawning all over it like they're Tiny Tim and she's saved Christmas, but...

Let's ignore the glaring fact that her food is utterly vile for a moment. Then it's just basic recipes; the only innovations are the vegan option (designed to convert people back to meat?), that bizarre dessert, the gravy 🤢, and the use of overpriced tinned fruit where it doesn't belong.

Apart from that, this is a standard roast dinner. There's nothing exciting, nothing new, nothing that might make you feel that this is a special, once-a-year meal. Roast chicken, potatoes, sprouts? No one was crying out for this.

Okay, so maybe she's done forensic (🤭) work to find the cheapest possible options? Nope. Commenters keep pointing out Aldi and Lidl, which she ignored, and she's shoehorned in her sponsors' expensive tinned fruit. Then she gets defensive about it, because the only person who matters - Jack herself - is incapable of crossing the threshold of German discount supermarkets, so they are utterly irrelevant.

So finally, has she made what Xmas dinner newbies really need - a detailed plan of the order to cook things, so everything is ready at the same time? Of course not. Instead we get inane, overwritten recipes with asides about how she loves to cut cherry tomatoes into eighths, and nothing clear like "add the sausages to the oven 20 minutes later" which people would actually benefit from.

In short: the emperor? Naaaaaaaked.
The whole meal makes me want to eat Huel shakes for the rest of my life.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Donated to Wikipedia so Jack can continue in 2021 to be a BUSY expert on everything.
Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 15.08.21.png

Just kidding, also donated a little extra to the Whitechapel Centre (helping to end homelessness in the local area) - my usual at Xmas as I don't send cards.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Haha...I ordered my turkey in August ....picking it up on Wednesday. In my defence it's the first year I've ever bought a turkey so early. It's a Kelly Bronze and I'm told the flavour is lovely. Can't wait to try it.
Ooh, we've got one of those arriving next week. I can wholeheartedly say it's the most delicious turkey we've ever had and have never been disappointed. I always follow Kelly's cooking instructions to the letter. You might be tempted to leave it in for longer but don't do it! 😋

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.