Jack Monroe #119 She says lots of things, many of which are false

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean, I don’t call engineering several unnecessary bubbles, travelling to Edinburgh, Manchester, and London (at least twice), or having people in your home for a day-long photoshoot neurotic, tbh. I call it blasé. But Jack can do Jack.

The illest I’ve been was when I had flu at uni in 2008 and I couldn’t even look at my (non-smart, unlike today’s glaring screens) phone without feeling like my eyes would fall out. I lay sweating in the dark for a week and my housemates would periodically put glasses of water inside my door and take away the old one. Then I had to go back to my mum’s for another week to recover. Everyone I know who has had corona says it’s much worse then flu, so given that she’s ferociously tweeting we can only assume that Jack is well enough to look at a bright phone screen and make coherent (and even passive-aggressive) statements.

If she was seriously ill there is no way she’d be sulking about how “careful” she’s been or sniping at SB/BB for exposing neurotic wee her. She’d be asleep, or lying inert and wishing she was.
I've had the 'rona, I certainly didn't spend time on my phone as I felt awful. I had to get up as my husband was seriously ill with it and I was nursing him, otherwise I would have spent the week in bed (I went into the spare room) . We had no appetite which was good as I couldn't have stood up long enough to cook. Our lad did take to his bed only emerging to get glasses of water.

I'm surprised she was saying she was snotty, as its not a snotty illness generally.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She’s claiming a top temp of 41.5 Celsius? 😳 That’s an astronomical fever for an adult. Kids can spike really high fevers (if my kids hit 41 I’d take them straight to A&E) but extremely high temps are a lot rarer in adults IIRC.

She claims to be maintaining a temp of 40 but is happily tweeting? The last couple of times I’ve had a fever, it’s been 38 and I felt too tit to do anything other than curl up in a ball.

This is all very very suspicious.
or start tripping balls, at that temp I think it would be almost impossible to calmly tweet it.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
View attachment 350808Matt has more day time TV work
How will he cope without his trusty sidekick?!

I’ve just remembered Jack tweeting Matt’s wife saying “thanks for letting me borrow him” to a wall of stony silence, and cringed so hard I can see the inside of my belly button.

ETA god wait that sounds like there’s a substance in my belly button and I am grossed out. There is not. But even if there were it would be more appetising than Jack’s “gravy”.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 65
Only veggie rather than vegan but I will marry/shag/worship/whatever they want the person who comes up a decent faux prawn cocktail. There's not really much other meat I miss but that does cause me to have impure thoughts.
Hmmm, this doesn't really meet the brief does it? 🍤🍤🍤🍤
1608237073606.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
While the temp she showed is a fever, she was using an ear thermometer. Normal temp with one of those is 38 rather than closer to 36-37 so take a degree or so off for that.
I’ve had an ear thermometer for nine years and my local GP surgery uses them too. A reading of 38 would never be dismissed as a normal temp. If anything, I think they tend to under-measure your real temp because it’s so bloody hard to get the probe properly inside the ear!

Reactions: 18
She’s claiming a top temp of 41.5 Celsius? 😳 That’s an astronomical fever for an adult. Kids can spike really high fevers (if my kids hit 41 I’d take them straight to A&E) but extremely high temps are a lot rarer in adults IIRC.

She claims to be maintaining a temp of 40 but is happily tweeting? The last couple of times I’ve had a fever, it’s been 38 and I felt too tit to do anything other than curl up in a ball.

This is all very very suspicious.
Nothing says attention seeker like being British and having your thermometer in F for the bigger number.

• Haha
Reactions: 62
Has she ever set foot in an Aldi or Lidl or are they too apparently working class for her in reality? We know she prefers Ocado. However, that where I do the bulk of my shopping and the Jags, Mercedes and other Fancy Cars outside....!
I've just been to lidl, they have 15p veg at the mo. I have no idea why she doesn't use aldi or lidl. To truly understand how people eat, and shop now (which as a food poverty writer she should be interested in) she needs to go where 'her people' shop. The arrival of the discounters changed the face of retail, and not to use them shows how our of touch she truly is.

Nothing says attention seeker like being British and having your thermometer in F for the bigger number.
Or her American readers....

Reactions: 37
I think if Jack had a positive coronavirus test result we would have seen it.

Moving on to more important matters, I'm going for a denim look for The Sloppies but I can't decide if I want to channel Justin or Britney
5cf16646594ea512c8308449.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Love Naydia's BBC1 show. So natural, engaging and likeable.

She is a wonderful example of hard work and authenticity.

Reactions: 40
Are we sure she hasn’t done a Sid James in Carry on Doctor and stirred her tea with the thermometer.

no way it’s that high....she needs to be in hospital if it is and she wouldn’t feel well enough to be tweeting at usual levels.

She’s lying.

She may have COVID but I don’t believe it’s as bad as she is making out. She’d be in bed and definitely NOT tweeting.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
Everyone’s experience of the Rona varies, I didn’t have the high temperature (but I was sweating despite a low temp?)
I would not have said I had a rattling cough though. Not something often reported.

Reactions: 17
Oh no no no. I am kind of caught up I suppose (actual job means actually busy). There are many many things to say about that Christmas dinner but I am just so sad about that prawn cocktail. Not to do a Mars bar style personal essay but I'm vegan and really miss seafood and prawn cocktail is delicious nostalgia (made of unethical tortured crustaceans and poor indentured cows and migrant workers on tomato farms, but shhh), but she just made it more unappetising than the ethics.
Nice lettuce - Lamb's lettuce, Cos, Little Gems (whatever you personally like that's fresh and tasty), pulled into small pieces by hand.

Some finely chopped Spring Onions (Optional).

Vegan Mayo.
Vegan Tomato Ketchup.
Vegan Worcestershire Sauce.
A tiny dash of mustard (tip of a teaspoon handle size) - Dijon is slightly sweet, German mustard also works well.
Fresh Lemon Juice, maybe a little lime (Fancy!).
A tiny splash of a nice, sweetish vinegar - Rice, Apple Cider, Raspberry, the vinegar from a jar of beetroot. Red/PInk ones add to the colour as well as tasting softer.
Sea salt flakes and white or pink pepper.

The largest, ripest, most tomatoey-smelling tomatoes on the vine - a Turkish deli is a great place to get them.

A herb - very, very finely chopped dill works for me, but somebody else might prefer Parsley, Chives, Lemon Thyme or Coriander. Really pungent, woody herbs won't work at all.

What you do is make the sauce to taste by mixing the ingredients (from Mayo to pink pepper) in a bowl and let it sit whilst you make your 'prawns'.

Put 3-5 layers of kitchen roll over the countertop and put your cutting board so that it holds them down. This will catch most of the 'mess' you're about to make.

Stab the tomatoes across the base in an X shape and then drop them into near boiling water for just long enough that you see the skin start to separate. Take them out of the hot water with a slotted spoon/food spider/pasta grabber/tablespoon/who cares as long as it's not your hands.

Cool them down quickly in cold water, where you will probably see the skins separate even more in a short time.

Take tomatoes out of the cold water and remove the skins with a knife (small and preferably sharp, not a rusty bread knife). Halve, quarter and then cut out the hard part, scrape the pips and juice out. Then slice the quarters into approx. 5-7mm thick slices - prawn width - and whatever you feel is a suitable prawn length (20-30mm, the length of your first thumb joint, whatever, I really don't care). Put them on a plate, dab them slightly dry with a paper towel and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper.

Get your serving bowls out.

When you are ready, drain off any extra liquid from the tomato plate, then splash with a little extra lemon/lime/vinegar. Add to the sauce, toss it until they're nicely coated, add Spring onion if you're using it, add to the serving dishes on top of the lettuce/leaves, sprinkle with your herbs and a pinch of Paprika if you like it (I don't) or Chilli powder/flakes if you like them more.

You do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, add Plenty of Black Pepper.

Only veggie rather than vegan but I will marry/shag/worship/whatever they want the person who comes up a decent faux prawn cocktail. There's not really much other meat I miss but that does cause me to have impure thoughts.

Now, the important thing is -

Your place or mine?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Those adenoids must be on triple time tonight. I feel sorry for them.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Nice lettuce - Lamb's lettuce, Cos, Little Gems (whatever you personally like that's fresh and tasty), pulled into small pieces by hand.

Some finely chopped Spring Onions (Optional).

Vegan Mayo.
Vegan Tomato Ketchup.
Vegan Worcestershire Sauce.
A tiny dash of mustard (tip of a teaspoon handle size) - Dijon is slightly sweet, German mustard also works well.
Fresh Lemon Juice, maybe a little lime (Fancy!).
A tiny splash of a nice, sweetish vinegar - Rice, Apple Cider, Raspberry, the vinegar from a jar of beetroot. Red/PInk ones add to the colour as well as tasting softer.
Sea salt flakes and white or pink pepper.

The largest, ripest, most tomatoey-smelling tomatoes on the vine - a Turkish deli is a great place to get them.

A herb - very, very finely chopped dill works for me, but somebody else might prefer Parsley, Chives, Lemon Thyme or Coriander. Really pungent, woody herbs won't work at all.

What you do is make the sauce to taste by mixing the ingredients (from Mayo to pink pepper) in a bowl and let it sit whilst you make your 'prawns'.

Put 3-5 layers of kitchen roll over the countertop and put your cutting board so that it holds them down. This will catch most of the 'mess' you're about to make.

Stab the tomatoes across the base in an X shape and then drop them into near boiling water for just long enough that you see the skin start to separate. Take them out of the hot water with a slotted spoon/food spider/pasta grabber/tablespoon/who cares as long as it's not your hands.

Cool them down quickly in cold water, where you will probably see the skins separate even more in a short time.

Take tomatoes out of the cold water and remove the skins with a knife (small and preferably sharp, not a rusty bread knife). Halve, quarter and then cut out the hard part, scrape the pips and juice out. Then slice the quarters into approx. 5-7mm thick slices - prawn width - and whatever you feel is a suitable prawn length (20-30mm, the length of your first thumb joint, whatever, I really don't care). Put them on a plate, dab them slightly dry with a paper towel and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper.

Get your serving bowls out.

When you are ready, drain off any extra liquid from the tomato plate, then splash with a little extra lemon/lime/vinegar. Add to the sauce, toss it until they're nicely coated, add Spring onion if you're using it, add to the serving dishes on top of the lettuce/leaves, sprinkle with your herbs and a pinch of Paprika if you like it (I don't) or Chilli powder/flakes if you like them more.

You do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, add Plenty of Black Pepper.

Now, the important thing is -

Your place or mine?
I appreciate that you took the time to write this up, but you lost me when you didn't acknowledge that any herb will work. Clearly you're not a true maverick cook and I don't know that I can trust this recipe. I'll tweet Jack to ask for a vegan cocktail.

(I won't. I don't have Twitter. And I really do appreciate that you took the time to write this out. It's a good reminder that often the sauce or seasonings is what we miss, not the meat. Perhaps I'll make it for my sad vegan alone at Christmas overseas dinner. 📐)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Please someone ask her the golden question - when did you get tested, Jack? When did you get the result?

Nah. Unless I’ve swabbed that lying hag myself then I shall remain sceptical!
Where Jimmy when you need him?!

As if she’s got actual Tattle members feeling sorry for her, let’s not forget this is the women who faked a black eye and went to extraordinary lengths wasting hospital time to prove how ill she was. No chance in hell she’d be able to keep a Covid test on the quiet.

Its also REALLY strange how she didn’t start isolating until Tuesday because of *reasons* yet apparently ’caught’ it on Monday?! Come on Jack, must do better.

I don’t believe a word of it, until I see proof of the test, she doesn’t have covid.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.