Jack Monroe #117 Exit through the grift slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She definitely hates her teeth (fair does, a lot of people aren't keen on theirs) However, instead of spunking her money on 50 sideboards, she'd have been better off investing in some decent dental work. Lip fillers draw attention to them as well.
Exactly! If she hates those crooked teeth so much, the she just needs to pay a visit to a friendly private orthodontist. She can easily afford it (although I bet she doesn’t want to pay because she’s peeved that the NHS wouldn’t fund it?)

I’m surprised she wasn’t offered braces in her teens tbh. Unless of course she was, but she refused them. I remember my cousin got braces and then demanded they be taken off because they were uncomfortable and he didn’t like them 🙄

Reactions: 16
Having a PhD is very common in my sphere of work, yet I don’t even have a degree. So when a senior colleague said “oh, you must be Dr Groovy..” when we first met, I got massively flustered and imposter syndromey and said “oh er.... just call me Feeling.”

I’m now deeply paranoid that he still thinks I’m a Dr 6 years on.

nb: still, as my spouse is closing in on his PhD I’ll steal his. That’s how it works right?!
Please keep it up! I love living in a world with a Dr Groovy in it!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
The NHS doesn't fund orthodontics for such mild problems, she only has some mild crowding in her lower jaw. On the scale of things she has pretty good teeth, it's just the way she smiles with all her teeth on full display that makes imperfections more evident.

She could easily and quickly get perfect teeth with private orthodontics, especially the innovative new methods like orthotropics.

Reactions: 20
Honestly I think her teeth are fine. Much better than mine pre braces, but she clearly doesn't if she's facetuning the hell out of them.

With regards to the Company's House address, if that's correct then the absolute neck of her claiming to be working class. Maybe her parents were growing up idk, but culturally growing up in a house that size with two parents in the professions they had, land rovers, holidays, ballet lessons, Del Monte fruit, etc etc.. the absolute cheek of her.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
She claims to have practically ran Allegra's professional kitchen (I suspect they gave her some dough to play with, as you might placate a child)

Prawn cocktail is prawns covered in a Marie Rose sauce. At it's most basic, this is ketchup, mayo, Worcestershire sauce. I'm not a fan, but my kid is.

Please ignore Jack's pudding made of bread. Bread pudding, and bread and butter pudding (slightly different things) are both delicious, and definitely contain sugar. Jack's just is 🤢
Thank you. I'm still confused about the prawns, but I'm getting closer. Looking up Marie Rose sauce led me to Franny Cradock's wikipedia. It is a good read.

I will strike Jack's pudding from the record.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
View attachment 344896
This bit stuck in my head. If her house is just around the corner from her parents, are they in Thorpe Bay too? I had a quick shufti at Rightmove and a five-bed is around £800,000. It would have been cheaper being a three-bed before extending, but it must have had a decent size garden to extend for two extra bedrooms; three-beds are currently ranging from £380,000 to £750,000+. Also, if she grew up 'just around the corner', how did it take her so long to find the greengrocer and the wee Tesco? Surely she would have known about them already. Living 'just around the corner', her father could have easily dropped off her shopping for her instead of two treks as she couldn't carry it all. She'd also know all about the buses, including the one that would take her to Lidl.
Yes, they live very close.

I think that everything she has ever said hasn't been true, and I mean right back from the beginning of her rise to prominence.

As they say where I come from she romances a lot (embellishes the truth), and then has said it so often she believes it herself.

Her son prob did say more jam mummy, mine did bit only cos I'd forgotten to buy another jar

Reactions: 23
Thank you. I'm still confused about the prawns, but I'm getting closer. Looking up Marie Rose sauce led me to Franny Cradock's wikipedia. It is a good read.

I will strike Jack's pudding from the record.
Would you not just know it as shrimp cocktail?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I've just seen a Del Monte ad on my Instagram feed. I don't follow Del Monte or Jack. Thank Vlad very much Vlad. :rolleyes:
Needless to say I'll be deleting my history and may never darken this thread again. ;)

Screenshot_20201213-124900~2.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
My opinion is that she always wanted to be famous, in the media and she got her foot in the media door with her blog and a piece in the local paper. They liked the poor budget content and now she’s stuck with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
My opinion is that she always wanted to be famous, in the media and she got her foot in the media door with her blog and a piece in the local paper. They liked the poor budget content and now she’s stuck with it.
Yes!! I absolutely agree with this. I was reading about Mrs Hinch, the cleaning "guru", and she pretty much decided to become a famous instagrammer, and couldn't decide between cleaning or make up.

The end goal was making money and being a celebrity, not helping people learn how to clean their homes.

I think wee Jackie is exactly the same

• Wow
Reactions: 45
I can't stop looking at that Del Monte hella awks photo. They couldn't even be bothered to photoshop those wisps of hair out to make it tidier, or actually have someone on set to smooth it down between takes.

I'm also very excited that Incy is caught up and on this thread 🥇

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I'm just watching Saturday Kitchen Best Bites and thinking about how Jack claimed NOT to be blacklisted from mainstream media, citing her sponsorship deal with Del Monte and her Christmas recipes in the Express (unpublicised by everyone other than herself). It's a pretty awesome achievement to have never been invited back to Saturday Kitchen after being an actual guest presenter, given their roster of rotating guests. So it certainly seems like she's been blacklisted by them. Furthermore, I was just checking out Dr Ranj's twitter feed in anticipation of her tiny guest slot on his programme and can't help but notice he was part of the This Morning Christmas celebrations and has also been on a couple of Channel 4 programmes. Certainly puts Jack's 'career' into perspective. You just know if she'd been offered a part of an elf in the This Morning panto she'd have been all over it like a rash.
I think it’s pretty clear at this point she’s not welcome at Saturday Kitchen. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it were them (or their production company) that said she was “hard work”. It was clear just watching DKL that she made everyone’s job (Matt, the production team, the floor team) more difficult and more stressful. They didn’t get even even basic professionalism from her. No matter what your line of work, it is never a good thing if you make your colleagues’ jobs more difficult through your own lack of effort, preparation or interest - it’s the kind of thing that gets you sacked. And yet Jack was so lacking in self-awareness that she couldn’t see this. She was practically gloating about all the hand holding she was getting, she seemed to not realise that the team were in fact carrying her, when anyone else would have been deeply embarrassed by this.
It was just the same with Hellmann’s. They clearly expected her to be able to deliver a simple broadcast, like countless other Instagrammers, but they ended up having to draft in staff to hold her hand and guide her through each show.
Whatever she claims, I don’t think the work will have been flooding in at all this year. Rather, I think she takes anything she’s offered - hence hooking up with the Express and Del Monte. She’s not turning anything down, this is it. And despite her lack of activity this year she couldn’t even be arsed to fulfil her commitments to her publisher (and how many people would give their right arm for a book deal).
I think basically her career’s in the shitter, and she has no one to blame but herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
The Daily Star! I am never going to stop laughing. Writing an article for a right wing paper putting forward a left wing argument is talking to people outside your bubble and arguably useful- though being on the left I'd rather Jack didn't show us up in front of the opposition. However I am unclear how publishing recipes raises awareness of food poverty or helps tackle it. I actually get pissed off with terms like food poverty, fuel poverty or period poverty, though I understand why campaigners break the issue down like this and it has led to some gains around reduced VAT on sanitary products and the availability of free sanitary products but the real problem isn't the basic necessities people are forced to choose between it's that whole swathes of the country are having to choose at all.

Being able to cook and eat well on a budget is a useful skill for people in all situations, whether dealing with long or short term poverty or just being frugal. I'm not poor but with Christmas and some ill timed home expenses the last couple of months have been tight so having a good store cupboard and some cheap recipes has been useful. However all the cheap meal ideas in the world don't actually address the issue of poverty, they don't address the fact that people are living utterly miserable existences that over time rob them of their confidence and keep them trapped on benefits.

Jack really needs to choose between being a minor celeb cook or being a campaigner and then put the work in to getting good at one of them. As things stand she's neither use nor ornament.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
The NHS doesn't fund orthodontics for such mild problems, she only has some mild crowding in her lower jaw. On the scale of things she has pretty good teeth, it's just the way she smiles with all her teeth on full display that makes imperfections more evident.

She could easily and quickly get perfect teeth with private orthodontics, especially the innovative new methods like orthotropics.
They would have done when Jack was a teen though. Everyone got braces back in the day! I personally cycled through every type of brace that was available in the 90s, even headgear 🤣

I know the NHS have tightened their belts when it comes to orthodontics now, but I’m pretty certain that snaggle tooth on the bottom row (and the upper incisor that’s displaced above it) would have qualified for braces 18 years ago.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.