Jack Monroe #116 Burger and lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
However I still can't decide if she is genuinely clueless, or actively malevolent.

I don't believe that the two options are mutually exclusive. We need someone who is an expert in knowing right from wrong, and isn't afraid to call it.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I think that's the first time I've actually watched that and it's worse than I thought it'd be tbh. I'm not being whatsit but I don't think I'd consider a nurse and fire station manager to be poor or even working class necessarily? Sure nurses are underpaid/overworked so I'm definitely not arguing that they shouldn't get paid more, but a married couple both of whom have reasonably high level, well regarded, professional jobs? That's the definition of middle class, surely? Like okay she's not an aristocrat, she's not from millionaire stock but that's not a poor background.

My parents are both retired now but they were both born working class, grew up working class, had working class jobs, have been working class their entire lives. I was born into a working class family and grew up working class. I'm the only member of my immediate family to have gone to uni. I'm definitely not rich, I have to budget closely every month to make sure I don't go overdrawn and buying a house or even a car is definitely a far future dream. BUT I now work a (entry level) middle class job so while I'm a long way off wealthy (or even comfortable), I'm not as working class as my parents anymore. My origins are more working class than my present state. A nurse and a fire station manager are middle class. Jack was raised in a middle class family. The only thing I agree with is when she said that anyone can plunge into poverty. Anyone CAN. There are thousands of middle class families who have found themselves in trouble when the breadwinner lost their well paid job so could no longer afford the huge mortgage they took out when times were good. Doesn't mean you weren't middle class though.

Also her whole "I FAILED grammar school" protests...yeah and you still went? You still got the opportunity that many (most) working class kids would never have been offered. There are kids doing tit in exams in private schools, doesn't mean their parents haven't shelled out £££ every year to send them there.

Working class my foot

• Heart
Reactions: 54
She. Puts. Mushrooms. On. Radiators.

This is just plain weird and unnecessary. Surely to god Del Monte are paying enough to buy dehydrated mushrooms? Am starting to think there is something actually wrong with her. She has absolutely no reason to play poor. By her own admission she's doing well for herself.
It's like saying 'I had no chairs for 11 weeks, then I bought a chair but I still sit on the floor'

• Haha
Reactions: 42
'God I'm just so frugal. These povs could learn a thing or three from me' typed Jack into her second phone. She stared sharkily at the can of tinned pineapple on her desk.

Hmmm.

'Mushroom and.....pineapple.....porridge? I think I might be the most maverick genius that ever existed! They're gonna eat this up!'

(and then proceed to vom it up later)

• Haha
Reactions: 39
It’s funny, isn’t it, how she’s built her entire brand on being a total maverick - massive oversharing on Twitter? Maverick; sideboard shots in underwear? Maverick; causing pile-ons left, right and centre? Maverick; dreadful, slapdash, untested or plagiarised recipes? Maverick; Groucho club membership? AWARD WINNING MAVERICK!!! - yet she somehow manages to reign all of this in the minute there’s a lucrative corporate deal on the table and she’s suddenly a shill for a crooked multinational.

Almost like her maverick persona is cynically constructed and in reality she’s a deeply conservative materialist... 🤔

If I was her I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. Fortunately for Jack she’s an amoral, grasping cow with a massive tax bill, so the only thing keeping her up is the prescription speed that’s clearly doing duck all to help her supposed ADHD.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Apropos of nothing that’s going on today but was just reading an article which mentions the strengths narcissists target in their victims - striking similarities with JM’s relationships/actions
View attachment 341528
sounds like my ex 😂 after 4 years I ended up with no friends, very little contact with my family, in debt despite having a great job, and terrified of my own shadow. It was a long time ago though and I feel like my life is super blessed now so it’s not all bad, but it’s amazing how insidious these people are. I still don’t know how I let myself get that way or take so much abuse, it’s like a past life that I only remember bits of.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Just took a look at Del Monte’s people on LinkedIn and they don’t seem to have a big UK presence tbh it’s largely ran out the US & other territories? They’ve got 2 junior-ish marketing people in the UK and both are based in random towns so it’s possibly even a satellite office?

Not 100% sure obviously & happy to be corrected but this explains.... a lot... and this decision has been made by ppl who don’t have a clue about the UK market? Doesn’t really forgive the lack of due diligence tho.
Del monte used to be based in York a few years ago, until they shut it all down (and didn't treat their staff well during the process).

• Sad
Reactions: 26
I never knew anything about Del Monte until yesterday, this thread has been very informative. Thank you very Frau much Frauen

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
The afterbirth baked oats will now be made with pineapple. The tinned meat and manderins will surface again!!! And the peach curry

Oh what delights await us fans of slop

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Slightly on a side note- after his recent chaos I looked up Lozza Fox and it struck me that he sees himself as poor and hard done to in his upbringing. He went to Harrow and is from an acting dynasty BUT all the other boys has titles and were landed gentry. It reminded me of Mackie. Perhaps all of the other kids at the Grammar were spending Christmas in Barbados, Feb half term on the slopes in Austria, Easter at their Devon estate and summer in Bora Bora, but she had to make do with ballet and a Land Rover.

Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.