Jack Monroe #113 I beg your pardon, she’s got a hammock in her rented garden

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With thanks to @Sentient mirror for the thread title
Recap of previous thread:
Final arrangements and categories for the first annual Sloppies awards were made. Professional caterers were engaged.
She is a forensic supermarket retail price tracker, benchmarking the cost of smart price mandarins and Charlie Bingham ready meals for over 8 years. Conclusion - stuff costs more lately.
She didn’t go viral but she did get a name check from MR then immediately started snarking on his squiggles.
I discovered that thread 66 has a lot of firsts
She retweeted Potatoes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 76
She also named her vagina. Slow Sunday.
For new joiners to the thread, here is @Passive_Aggressive_Lemon ‘s ‘Jack for Dummies’ post (edited to include updated info):

Thought it might be useful for new followers to have a post at the start of each thread with some info.
Limegoss article about Jack versus Jamie Oliver : https://limegoss.com/jack-monroe-jamie-oliver/

Thread #31 is the infamous one in which Jack turns up to talk to us directly. She makes her appearance on p. 17.

For anyone wanting to relive the glory days of her two-week stint on Daily Kitchen Live (DKL), have a grunk a through threads 2-9.

*** JACKISMS ***

Jack’s most oft-used reply to questions on recipe substitutions:

Yes, absolutely x

Some other favourite Jack quotes:

‘Babe, same’
‘I did a chaos’
‘My maverick brain’
‘My sad little face’
‘I’m BUSY’
‘I HOOTED / I am FIZZING’
‘I laughed up a lung’

** NEW **
‘Literally hella embarrassed AF’ about ‘Brexit and flip-flopping Covid flippancy’ and she ‘didn’t even vote for it’.

She likes to describe herself as ‘puppyishly honest and naively enthusiastic’

As of late November 2020, Jack conceded she is not poor, but living to a budget as she is saving for a forever home for her and SB.

One of Jack’s followers once referred to Tattlers as sad hausfraus and Jack herself has likened us to a cabal. Therefore we have become the Cabal of Hausfraus™️. She also recently referred to us as ‘gossip mavens’ (so, we are gossip trusted experts). ** Recent additions to her terms of endearment for Tattle: conspiracy wankers, obsessive groups of completely unhinged bullies, bullying ninnies, and malign, vicious bullies **

To ‘GrunkaLunka’ your way through a thread means to catch up on posts. Named after a member who rather epically caught up on many threads in a short period of time (and is also a fearless pioneer of the space-time continuum. She really was here both Now and Then).

Jack once threatened to use her Liam Neeson skills to TRIANGULATE our whereabouts in order to intimidate us, so that’s what we mean by that. * She may also threaten to take us to court - do not be afraid, this is not the first time and it won’t be the last. *

Jack once sideboard modelled a Vivienne Westwood dress, seeming to infer that it’s what Viv would have wanted (as if she were dead), and then got snippy when corrected otherwise. There may be some ‘RIP Viv’ jokes (she is, of course, NOT dead)

We sometimes joke about being on Vladimir Putin’s bitcoin payroll list for being evil trolls.

During her stint on Daily Kitchen Live, Jack produced a godawful looking lasagne, with a thin white sauce that never thickened up, just disappeared. It was widely likened to ‘horse spunk’ - there may be some horse ‘spirit’ lasagne jokes.

Her last-uttered line to Matt Tebutt on DKL was: ‘Thank you so Matt much, Matt’, which made us all HOOT.

Jack ended a tweet that listed her (not unimpressive) four-and-a-half GCSE results (A*, A, B, B, C) with: ‘Now duck off’. We sometimes like to use this in our own posts for comedic effect. We are NOT telling other fraus to duck off, simply paying homage to Jack’s own genteel humour.

*Back in the mists of time, one funny frau used a Jimmy Nail ‘She’s Lying’ picture to illustrate their thoughts on one of Jack’s latest tales. @Alpha Beta thought it was Novak Djokovic, the cabal hooted and Novak Nail was born. You may see reference to Jimmy Nail, Novak Djokovic, or the combination of both: Novak Nail. All demonstrate that she’s lying.*

Also:
  • She grew up in a 5-bed (mortgaged/owned) house
  • She got a £4.5k Omega watch for her 21st birthday
  • Her dad's a bleeping LANDLORD (an oldy, but a goody)
  • Jack and Louisa are no longer in a relationship - in Jack’s words: ‘She [Louisa] left’.
  • ** NEW ** However, during Lockdown 2 (November 2020), a bubble buddy, ‘buddle’ (BB) came to stay with Jack. BB is pescatarian, cycles 200 miles a week, and works in London. Jack is teaching her to cook, while also using her as a figure of gentle ridicule. She cannot cook, she cannot iron, she cannot clean the television properly, she left the hose out and it got eaten by a fox, and she doesn’t know the difference between wet and dry ingredients.
  • Her record for staying off Twitter since the start of these threads is 114 hours and 47 minutes.
  • She is 90% vegan. The other 10% likes to nom nom on Five Guys burger and discounted chicken slices.
  • During her appearance on DKL, she was asked why some mince has a higher fat content. ‘It just does.’
  • The information held on her by Companies House has her year of birth WRONG. She was born in 1988, not 1978.
  • She recently claimed she found her Burberry scarf in a muddy puddle.

Here is a link to Jack’s Tattle Wiki page, which also includes clips of Matt Tebutt muttering ‘Terrible!’ on Daily Kitchen Live, courtesy of @Yel) and @Bookweevil ‘s hilarious Glossary of Jack.

We are terrible for going off on tangents and using too many gifs, so there is another thread where we don’t discuss JM but instead talk about biscuits and stuff. For good light relief when JM is doing too much chaos, come to the Food & Drink threads in Off Topic.

• Lastly, but importantly, when submitting ideas for the next thread title, please use the words ‘thread title’, as it makes it easier to search. Just using the number won’t be enough. We also can’t have swears in the title, and try to hold off until around p. 40 for your suggestions, if possible. ThankYOU.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
Oh thank goodness you’re here @Pocahontas and you did Jack for dummies!
I did not enjoy doing a thread. It was hard and the site kept crashing. It was fraught. Please stay and do all new threads forever, thankyou very Matt much Matt xxxx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Many thanks Hotes for stepping up & Poca, I'd forgotten about 'the room of abandonment' or whatever Jack called her fajita so cheers for that👍🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 56
thank you for new thread @HotesTilaire ❤

just to add...

after a quiet weekend, Jack spent many hours deeply into prawn cocktail discourse as she has a xmas dinner charity gig

she has muted the phrase "Yorkshire pudding"

Marcus Rashford has tweeted a video of them cooking at his primary school. cringe is not the word

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
I’m catching up with today and yesterday’s antics and don’t know how to quote yet. Re Jack eating Charlie Bingham ready meals - she’s probably been “reverse engineering” them like she does when she wants to learn how to make something. You know, rather than using Google or recipe books..... 🙄🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Dear Jack,

As we are entering the season of goodwill, here are some helpful suggestions of new, maverick and not-at-all inane ideas you can use to boost Twitter engagement:

* pineapple on pizza: yes or no
* do you eat your pizza with hands or cutlery
* jaffa cake: cake or biscuit
* does a pie need to have pastry all the way around
* do you fold the toilet paper or just scrunch it up
* do you turn your pillow over to get to the cold side
* dogs vs cats

You're welcome! Hohoho

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
Dear Jack,

As we are entering the season of goodwill, here are some helpful suggestions of new, maverick and not-at-all inane ideas you can use to boost Twitter engagement:

* pineapple on pizza: yes or no
* do you eat your pizza with hands or cutlery
* jaffa cake: cake or biscuit
* does a pie need to have pastry all the way around
* do you fold the toilet paper or just scrunch it up
* do you turn your pillow over to get to the cold side
* dogs vs cats

You're welcome! Hohoho

I'm honestly quite surprised she hasn't had a go at the quality street discourse on twitter today.

she's usually quite slow though. so we should give her time

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I'm honestly quite surprised she hasn't had a go at the quality street discourse on twitter today.

What odds on tomorrow becoming “Quality Street or Heroes?”. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 36

Purple discrimination innit?
However, we should pay no heed.. them fancy chocolates ain't for the likes of us.

• Haha
I’m waiting for a “what time do you open your presents” class war kicking off, with Mackie claiming she’s never had any to open
Edit- autocarrot take a bleeping break will you?

• Haha
Reactions: 52
What odds on tomorrow becoming “Quality Street or Heroes?”. 🤣
celebrations are sooooo faaaaancy!

roses ain't what they used to be. the box used to be twice the size, etc.

not that Jack knows, ofc, she was lucky to get a lump of coal

Last edited:
  • Haha
A prawn cocktail pontification was not at all the chaos I was anticipating but I suppose I'll take it. It's time for us to face the fact that, much like coronavirus, 'marauding' came uninvited and is here to stay.

I'm curious just how many Christmas food magazines there are in circulation. Only one issue of the magazine per year would be Christmas-themed. Looking on WHSmith's website, there are about thirteen different food and drink magazines that she could potentially look through. Since she specified LITERALLY ONE HUNDRED that means she must have hoarded at least eight years' worth of Christmas food magazines. That's of course assuming that she meant 'pawing through' literally as well because you can't paw through a website and we all know she never uses words incorrectly.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I think she's still giddy after the weekend. The inevitable bitter comedown is just delayed, not cancelled....😆

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.