Jack Monroe #112 Is that it? IS THAT IT

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been scrolling on her feed & have only just noticed how often the words 'tribal' 'divisive' 'faction' etc are used. Perhaps she should block those instead of acting like passive-aggressive moralistic Gandalf.
If Doreen from Huddersfield wants a Yorkshire Pudding with her Christmas lunch she shouldn't have to fight it out in a pub car park with Ethel from Norwich who thinks it's a cardinal sin.
Jack, it's literally not The Hunger Games.
My cousin Doreen lives in Huddersfield 😊 and makes the best Yorkshire puddings ever. Tasty clouds in fact. I think that at Christmas you eat what you want if you are lucky enough.
When we moved sort of across the world ten miles from Huddersfield folks there ate crumbly cheese with Christmas cake 😲 a step too far. Just too foreign !

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Vlad has either started his vodka early today, or the full moon is having an effect....

2B05C002-B1A3-400B-BC3F-1C1AFDD096C9.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 31
OK, prawn cocktail. In the spirit of what was done in the 70s by a widowed mother of 5 (plus one grandchild that was a bit of a surprise shortly after #5 child appeared on the scene).

1 tub prawn cocktail from the Coop (£2.30, 170g).
1 pack of tomatoes from the Coop (£0.75, approx 6 in pack)
1 lettuce from the Coop (£0.60 for Iceberg bleurgh) or £0.90 for Little Gem x 2)
Salad Cream, 2 big blobs (£0.90 from M&S at Ocado, so about 30p)
- or as we're being FANCY - get one of the jars of Hellmann's stashed under the bed (free) or M&S £1.30 and a splosh of vinegar/kombucha (negligible cost) so about 26-39p
Tomato Ketchup, 1 big squirt (M&S at Ocado, 65p or nicked from a pub/cafe when open, so about 6p.
Lemon juice. Jif, obviously, 1tsp (£1.20, so 2.4p).
Pepper.

Empty tub of prawn cocktail into a bowl. Add the tomatoes, deseeded and cut into quarters and then sliced (so effectively prawn shaped). Add the salad cream/mayo, lemon and pepper. Place on lettuce leaves. Total cost to buy the ingredients = £5.50-ish. Actual 2020 equivalent cost for the 7 people who had it = £3.44 or 49p a portion.

On our first Christmas together, Me and Mr D had the smallest piece of beef in the world (it made 3 slices each after it had shrunk down from roughly the size of a tin of corned beef - thinking about it, it was roughly the same shape, too) because it was yellow stickered at 9am Christmas Eve for less than £3.

I made a proper Yorkshire pud, half an Irish field of potatoes, cooked 3 large carrots and some cabbage. It probably cost in all around £6 and we were stuffed for £3 each. Now, I did have a fuckton of condiments to choose from already, but there's only so much you can eat at one time - and a big slab of Yorkshire pud goes a long, long way with the potatoes in making you feel warm, sleepy and full.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Are they being serious that they don't think children would be more deserving than Jack? Is she managing to brainwash people about how poor she is?
B824550F-7638-4317-A28A-7AEFF2B91560.jpeg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
“Bit-part bolshy budget baked bean blogger.”

Can’t remember the origins of this Twitter bio, and I believe we’ve moved on from words JM doesn’t know, but I’m feeling petty on my lunch break and would like to point out that “bit-part” makes no sense here. Are they saying they are an an actor playing a small role with few lines in the grand scheme of things? Never heard it outside the context of a show or performance. Did they mean “two-bit” (insignificant, cheap, worthless), but it didn’t fit with the B alliteration? Is “bit-part” common British slang I don’t know? Have they mistaken clang associations for clever writing?

Or is JM a writer who literally doesn’t care much about the literal meaning of words and “bit-part” seemed like appropriate faux humility?

Any thoughts appreciated, but I’m really busy with my smoked salmon salad (don’t worry — just won the lottery) so duck OFF.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Are they being serious that they don't think children would be more deserving than Jack? Is she managing to brainwash people about how poor she is?View attachment 329576
Surely... I mean Christ...there is no way this can be anything other than a piss take.

I'm sorry it's just the almost psychedelic weirdness of it. What is it they imagine she does? Do they look at someone like Mandela and say "well he was OK I suppose but he never shared his recipes on a free blog".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
She has no solutions to offer apart from howling and clawing.

She tweets about Asda smart price from an ivory tower bungalow surrounded by luxury consumer goods, to an audience of middle class centrist squiggles (sorry centrist squiggles, I know you are kind hearted, but you will never change anything) while getting Ocado deliveries and shuddering at the thought of mixing with the masses on public transport.

She is completely disconnected from reality as she lives online. She doesn't involve herself in issues, local or otherwise, doesn't shop locally, doesn't volunteer at her local foodbank, doesn't seem to even donate as she is so busy wanging on about the £20 shop. She rents but never mentions housing rights orgs - her only issue is that she feels hard done by as she doesn't own a house outright. She tweets about how hard life is for heads of news and current affairs.

The height of her activism is riding on MR's coat tails, and personally profiting from his success (paid GQ article). I have no issue with her being paid to write the article, but she is in no way an activist or campaigner.

She literally never engages with wider issues and constantly centres herself and her "struggles". She doesn't work for minimum wage, nor claim benefits so can someone please, please, PLEASE explain to me how she claims to speak for people in poverty?

Her patreon rewards are a waste of time, resources and money, seriously, only people with money to burn would subscribe. It's a joke and there is a lot more worthwhile stuff she could offer for her patreons if she was so inclined.

But she can't be arsed. It's bare minimum every bleeping time. And I do get that is part of ADHD, but that doesn't make it ok to post sub standard recipes, sub standard and late or non existent patreon rewards. If that is a result of ADHD then you need to make your living in a different way.

She's mentioned this collection of receipts a few times now, but nothing EVER changes. A few fiery tweets and then crickets. Here's a tip Jack - stop tweeting every thought and actually produce something.

You did the GQ article - clap clap. That's done now, so on to the next thing.

People shared their stories with her about poverty and austerity, really tragic and personal stories, and she's done nothing with them. The first draft of the supposed poverty book? I would be amazed if she had even started.

You don't need to tweet every thought, and you don't need to pretend to be living on £20 a week. No-one is saying you shouldn't have shoes, salmon, or butter, that's gaslighting BOLLOCKS and you need to stop it.
I honestly don't get the tin thing. I have lived to relatively strict budgets all my life and I only eat beans and soup out of a tin occasionally.

If you shop around and shop right you can actually make pretty frugal meals for little that contain less salt and preservatives. I know she bases stuff on stuff from food banks but she makes already quite a sad time for people even worse by making the food seem inedible ( well to me anyway)

Most people myself included want to know fun, easy recipies to make that will actually feed and sustain a family on little money.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
She's caught up here and is now pretending she's also hashing this out on WhatsApp with imaginary friends. Also she's completed it mate when it comes to becoming a parody of herself.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
What happened to her severe tomato allergy for which she was carrying epi pens and got a tattoo about #nomato

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.