Jack Monroe #110 Hands up, who likes me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I could be horribly wrong but did the Frauen at any point explicitly or unexplicitly forbid her to buy butter? Asking for a friend.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
The whole 'I won't buy butter because I want to buy my child a house' narrative is such ear aching bullshit as well. How cheap is butter, for goodness sake!? It's the same line as 'well if young people stopped buying avocados, then they could buy a house!' No. I don't have the savings, assets, or income to be able to afford a deposit on a house unless I save sensibly for the next few years (closer to a decade tbh!) and funnily enough, I would still be able to afford something as simple as butter in that time. You either have the money to be able to buy a house relatively quickly or you need to create a sensible savings plan and stick to it for as long as is needed. If you're being so frugal that you're not even allowing yourself to buy butter, then that really is OTT.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
It'll be this, but with balsamic vinegar to make it dark (again using a slimming world tip for fake pimms)
View attachment 323619
Butterbeer! I should have known. Also ahhh of course, Jack loves a good rip off of a SW recipe. I bet she's no stranger to Pinch of nom, which if I'm not mistaken is published by the same people as Jack's slop-books, so she probably has them at hand

Reactions: 21
The whole 'I won't buy butter because I want to buy my child a house' narrative is such ear aching bullshit as well. How cheap is butter, for goodness sake!? It's the same line as 'well if young people stopped buying avocados, then they could buy a house!' No. I don't have the savings, assets, or income to be able to afford a deposit on a house unless I save sensibly for the next few years (closer to a decade tbh!) and funnily enough, I would still be able to afford something as simple as butter in that time. You either have the money to be able to buy a house relatively quickly or you need to create a sensible savings plan and stick to it for as long as is needed. If you're being so frugal that you're not even allowing yourself to buy butter, then that really is OTT.
Saved for years and years to buy my first house at the age of 40. Didn’t once go without butter during that time.

Was I doing it wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: 50
Generally if a story is spiked (binned ) the author is paid a kill fee ( normally 50% of the agreed fee) if they decided to not go ahead , if she didn't produce what she was asked to on the other hand she would get nothing
NARRATORS VOICE: She did not produce what she was asked to.

Honestly could you imagine trying to coax an article out of her?

ED: "No...Jack...the bigger picture...on a societal level. Now Jack we're all very sorry about your howling but it's more a political piece than a personal piece".

JACK: "I am a husk floating upon the dark icy waters of despair in an ocean ravaged by demons who deny me cornflakes. I gouged my eye out and hurled it a bailiff, there is nothing left"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
I could be horribly wrong but did the Frauen at any point explicitly or unexplicitly forbid her to buy butter? Asking for a friend.
Yes we got a court order banning her from coming within 100 feet of a block of butter.

It was harsh, but it had to be done. We had SB's second to last penultimate forever - ish house deposit to think of. This was the only way.

• Haha
Reactions: 66
See how she twisted it though to fit nicely into her "I'm not allowed to have butter" victim narrative when she was the one who lied about affording it in the first place. Maddening

ETA "Don't worry - I'm fine"

I will never forget her writing that in an attempt at manipulating people into thinking she was struggling along without a bleeping stick of butter. Now she's winging it into a fake wine for herself. hole

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Butterbeer! I should have known. Also ahhh of course, Jack loves a good rip off of a SW recipe. I bet she's no stranger to Pinch of nom, which if I'm not mistaken is published by the same people as Jack's slop-books, so she probably has them at hand
No stranger indeed.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
Not completely OT, but something just struck me..
I'm binge watching Nigella's Christmas specials at the mo (can thoroughly approve of this to take away boredom whilst wfh)
The one I'm watching now is , I think, the first one she did. Her kids are primary age.
I just realised that this must have been the first Christmas after her husband died. She's smiling and jolly. She must have been aching inside, but she's being a proffessional.
She's actually had some awful stuff happen in her life and still we've never had a public temper tantrum/meltdown on Twitter.
She had a cruel (and possibly narc) mother. Her husband and her sister both died of cancer. She was the (allegedly) victim of domestic abuse and (allegedly) coercive control. Nasty, public divorce. Dragged through court. Bankruptcy (or close to it)
Yet she comes across as warm and friendly.
Never complain, never explain kind of attitude.
OH AND I JUST GOOGLED HER AND SHE IS 61!!!!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.