Jack Monroe #109 Jack Monroe’s network bandwidth is low

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have never used a slow cooker so honest questions: 1. Is her love of them why all her food has to be liquid? Like you can only do stews in them? 2. Can you not just make the same thing in a casserole dish which is far more cost effective?
I used a slow cooker when making stews with tough, cheaper cuts of meat. Cooking at a low heart for hours tenderises it and lets all the flavours infuse. You can do things like brisket or tangines which do taste really nice. But you have to use it with purpose if that makes sense! I will typically use it for more stew-like dishes where I want a depth of flavour.

Also in the pre covid days, putting all the ingredients in prior to leaving for work and then comimg home to a ready cooked meal was fab. They're perfectly safe to leave on all day and I think because they use little electricity they are cheaper to have on for 8 hours on low than a casserole on a hob for 3.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Is “squirty cream” canned whipped cream? Lol. Charming. I put butter on my scones over here in Canada. Yes, I understand this means I’ll never have any savings, but I can’t deny myself the luxury of butter. People call me irresponsible as I butter my toast in the morning. “Butter? On your budget? Have you lost your senses? Have you won the lottery?” Hey, call me crazy, but blowing all my money on a stick of butter every month is just my particular brand of chaos.
🤣🤣
From now on, instead of saying "have you got money to burn?" when I see frivolous spending, I'm going to say "have you got butter to burn?". Well, it'll amuse me anyway!

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Don’t you have your scones with gravy in the US of A?
I like all those little sticks of butter you see in US baking shows.
Biscuits and gravy. But the “biscuit” is not unlike a scone — pretty dense. I think of scones as coffee shop food and they seem massive and unruly and usually more savoury over here.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
But you see, I don't believe her! Also I think she later said she'd managed to access the furlough money?
Highly unlikely she’d be paying Caroline out of her own pocket to do nothing when she could pay her to do something - there’s clearly work to be done, work she’d largely be able to do from home. Doesn’t add up...

Reactions: 29
Something that I never understood is why people ask well meaning people for money to top up the pocket.

What I mean is I get homeless people asking for money to feed themselves but general people who do have some sort of work.

Growing up my mum never asked for money and if she did it was like ten pounds to buy some food until she got paid but she paid back, she never dreamed of keeping it. Even now I live within my means if my bills start too look to hefty 8 cut back, get a cheaper phone bill, no treats, use less of stuff to make it last. If I do need money I make sure I pay it back once I have gotten it. I really don't understand this can you too up my wage business.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Biscuits and gravy. But the “biscuit” is not unlike a scone — pretty dense. I think of scones as coffee shop food and they seem massive and unruly and usually more savoury over here.
Ah, I see!
so sorry - I also just realised in your other post you said you were in Canada! And there’s me launching in with ‘I thought y’all eat scones with gravy’ 🤪 Sorry about that!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Don’t you have your scones with gravy in the US of A?
I like all those little sticks of butter you see in US baking shows.
Question.

What is the difference between a scone and a biscuit in America?

(I have a lot of other questions related to American food stuffs, mostly coming from watching Ina and the Pioneer woman on repeat but I dare not go OT.)

ETA just seen you have answered my question !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Careful now, "unruly" conjures up different images on these threads...

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Question.

What is the difference between a scone and a biscuit in America?

(I have a lot of other questions related to American food stuffs, mostly coming from watching Ina and the Pioneer woman on repeat but I dare not go OT.)

ETA just seen you have answered my question !!!
Poca doesn’t know she thought Canada was in the USA 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Sorry it’s too bleeping boring to check but has anyone mentioned she’s a maverick for putting squirts cream on a scone.
Yawn bleeping yawn 🥱

I’ve managed mailing lists. It’s very easy to get someone to build a basic database that you can select by different requirements, and can be exported into a document to print straight onto sticky labels. The main work is adding the addresses.
However seeing as people are literally paying you to
do that it not a onerous task.
duck
Off
Off again

• Haha
Reactions: 22
THERE IS NO NEED TO RESPOND! NONE!
How does this get any chat going, honestly. If I even texted my mates that level of convo the tumbleweeds would be in an abundance. Who actually cares what sort of cream you have a a cheap scone.

"Balls rolling outside of the coliseum"?. What the actual fuh does that mean?!
I think she means colosseum you know that big ruin in Rome. Perhaps she's relocated in the night?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
What does Caroline actually do? Take away the writing out lists and colouring in, and what would Jack do with her time? She doesn't appear to have any notion of databases or mail merge for address labels, let alone any technological office advance over the past thirty years.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
In the absence of Jack tweeting I think we are long overdue a another comparison of Jack vs other professional food writer's instafeeds
the other instafeeds give me cravings for dim sum and roast chicken. Jack’s....reminds me to slosh some toilet duck down the kids loo

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.