Jack Monroe #10 Filming new slop from her shed, "success" of Daily Kitchen gone to her head

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It isn't, because once again, it is bullshit. It would be more useful to donate them to libraries.

Seems she has changed direction. Yapping on about cookbooks and nothing about her shitshed cooking, which is now 2 days later. Will it or will it not happen?

Maybe she should keep the books and actually learn how to cook!

Several responses to those comments are a bit more neutral about JM!

Whats with the people 'oh JM has written a book about this'
So has the woman who wrote this article KAREN!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

I like this guy's thinking so if you're having a peek in here Jack (we know you do) perhaps you could adopt some of his approach. You never know, it might make you feel better too.
“I’ve lost about 24 kilos,” he says. “I had one of my lungs removed a while ago and put on a bit of weight because I was pretty sick. Going to the gym wasn’t doing anything and the gut wasn’t helping my breathing, so I started looking into what food I was eating.”
What better time to turn that knowledge into a public service than during the panic-buying of jar sauce and packet soup? “There’s a fresh food section in the supermarket that hasn’t been touched and yet empty shelves of pasta sauce,” he says. “You’re bleeping stuck at home – what are you doing? Eat better.”

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Please could some explain how a cookery book would help people in prison, DV hostels and Youth Hostels.
Prison is catered, and although I don’t have much expertise of living in a hostel, I don’t imagine they have the facilities or situations that require people to flick through published cookery books for inspiration.

I am genuinely interested in how they would be useful to those situations?
More made up stuff to demonstrate what an 😇 she is. If she’d ever been in a women’s refuge and seen the kitchen she’d know it’s hardly somewhere where you’re going to get out a recipe book and spend hours cooking.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Why does every fresh vegetable have to be ‘cheap and gnarly’? The word gnarly makes me think of her witch hands and makes me feel a bit sick, so I wish she’d stop using the word.
She is obsessed with it being as cheap as possible, but standard prices in Asda are around about this:

Onions - Bag of diced for 30p or about 40p for three onions
Carrots - Around 20p for three good sized ones
Half a turnip - 50p for half or £1 for whole
Stemmed broccoli and cauliflower - £1.20 for a large pack
Salad potatoes - £1
Maris Piper Potatoes - £1.50

I get it, sometimes people have nothing but I don’t get how gnarly vegetables is any cheaper than normal unless they’ve been moved to the cheap section, which is very unlikely.

Reactions: 11
The writer of the Guardian article has a book out about cooking with tins. Oh dear, I can only imagine the grief she's going to get from these Jack fans who never heard of the concept of tins until she came along.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Why does every fresh vegetable have to be ‘cheap and gnarly’? The word gnarly makes me think of her witch hands and makes me feel a bit sick, so I wish she’d stop using the word.
She is obsessed with it being as cheap as possible, but standard prices in Asda are around about this:

Salad potatoes - £1

I get it, sometimes people have nothing but I don’t get how gnarly vegetables is any cheaper than normal unless they’ve been moved to the cheap section, which is very unlikely.

If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd fall out of my head...

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Hello

Salad potatoes - £1

Isn't most supermarkets now actually seelling the unpretty vegetables. Like wonky carrots and such like. She doesn't need to label her veg, as Tesco's and etc state it may not look right but it tastes the same. She's trying to make out that she is the only person who uses the imperfect veg because she so poor to buy a "normal carrot"

Reactions: 8
One of the things that pissed me off is she keeps alluding to a store cupboard. Then she says she's catering to food bank users. If you're skint, or using a foodbank, you don't have 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and 3 of canolleni beans to make soup. No, you eat the tin of heinz that is 1/3 of the price of making what you call soup.

Reactions: 19
The writer of the Guardian article has a book out about cooking with tins. Oh dear, I can only imagine the grief she's going to get from these Jack fans who never heard of the concept of tins until she came along.
I spy a few Tattlers on it now.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Hello

Isn't most supermarkets now actually seelling the unpretty vegetables. Like wonky carrots and such like. She doesn't need to label her veg, as Tesco's and etc state it may not look right but it tastes the same. She's trying to make out that she is the only person who uses the imperfect veg because she so poor to buy a "normal carrot"

Along with the supermarkets doing the wonky veg, if you get a veg delivery box it's never the supermarket looking veg. Now I don't want to hold my carrots to unrealistic beauty standards, but my veg box carrots don't look like sainsburys. Taste better mind

Reactions: 6
Please could some explain how a cookery book would help people in prison, DV hostels and Youth Hostels.
Prison is catered, and although I don’t have much expertise of living in a hostel, I don’t imagine they have the facilities or situations that require people to flick through published cookery books for inspiration.

I am genuinely interested in how they would be useful to those situations?
Perhaps to use in onsite cookery classes ...? Can’t really see that working in a prison. They’ll all catch extra time for kicking off about having to learn how to grate tinned meat.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
One of the things that pissed me off is she keeps alluding to a store cupboard. Then she says she's catering to food bank users. If you're skint, or using a foodbank, you don't have 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and 3 of canolleni beans to make soup. No, you eat the tin of heinz that is 1/3 of the price of making what you call soup.
To be honest if I was on the breadline I'd probably live off bread and variations of things that go with bread. I do not like to ery many tinned things, chopped tomatoes, soup and beans are about it. I don't find any of her food appealing. I don't think I've ever seen a recipe of hers even unknowingly and thought gosh I love to try and make that.

Reactions: 8
I was actually thinking of trying her slow cooker bread recipe, but I found a glaring and very basic error in it and thought, duck that!
1588150357712.png

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.