Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bublifuk

For the record it's "influencer manager" not influencer that he's applied for. But in the tweet he literally called himself a "book influencer" when tweeting the woman advertising the job despite spending weeks saying he isn't one.

Also apart from being an influencer himself I don't actually know what experience he has to be qualified for a manager role. He's a fresh graduate he'd maybe be able to fast track himself from entry-level to associate level roles, maybe exec but not a bloody manager
now why the hell does the guy who consistently started his uni assignments last minute and sold messed up planners think he can manage anyone? he can't even manage himself!

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Salamandrine

I signed up to this forum to comment, because I find Jack's Oxford obsession interesting, and somewhat worrying.

I was rejected from 1 of Oxbridge (I won't say which one) at UG and at PG level. I took a year off, got an office job, and then I reapplied to a bunch of universities (got into 3/4), and ended up with a scholarship to the 'other' Oxbridge university. I'm now here and I genuinely don't understand the hype. It's all about the brand. The course doesn't feel particularly special, and there are a lot of pretentious people. I don't understand why he's essentially wasting a year of his life on the off chance that he might get into Oxford. I had absolutely stellar grades, topped my year, excellent work experience, and publications at UG, but I was still rejected from one of them. He doesn't seem to have relevant work experience or the absolute best grades. At least with Ibz Mo, his work (and YouTube channel) was incredibly relevant to his PG course.

TealOcean

Am trying to say this in the nicest way possible, but..... does anyone else just find Jack a bit, well, creepy? Dunno what it is, but he really creeps me out. Especially on TikTok when he's trying to look "hot" I guess with the winking and stuff? And on instagram in photos when he's posing. It genuinely creeps me out. Something just quite unsettling?
He always gives off "distant relative you would feel uncomfortable being alone in the room with" vibes. Always found him really creepy but not sure why

• Haha
  • Heart

RosePetals

Chatty Member
Pretty sure you could argue advertising shit and unsafe accommodation just for a bit of cash, knowing it can harm students less privileged than you is "lame as fuck". And so is not being able to handle rejection and keep reapplying for the same uni when it clearly isn't going to be the right one for you as you've been rejected multiple times.

Can guarantee his book is going to be advice you can find for free on videos, articles or forums online. If someone is interested enough to spend real money on a book there's a 99% chance they're also researching online.

And if there's is something groundbreakingly unique in his book someone will just use it as their own in their video/blog/forum post

• Heart

Anon576

Something I noticed! He got gifted a new laptop in his last video and did nothing but rave about how good it is and used it in the video, only to show on tiktok that he’s still using his MacBook Pro 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 15

RosePetals

Chatty Member
To be fair I don't blame him for opening his book in store, how else is he going to know whether the pages were all there or if some chapters were missing? :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully everyone got a planner refund

• Haha

jerihoam

I think someone who has actually been mugged would take issue with him claiming an almost mugging by someone trying to take a phone just sat on the table
Calling it a mugging gives off very "Eve Bennett: My flatmate tried to KILL me!" energy.

On the subject of other StudyTubers, has anyone noticed how few original ideas there are and how much they steal each other's content? Jade makes TikTok about how you have to be the main character in your life, Jack makes video about feeling like the main character. Vee makes an essay crisi video, Eve Bennett makes an essay crisis video, Jack makes an essay crisis video. Jade makes a minimalism video, Vee makes a minimalism video. Jade takes herself on a "date", Eve Cornwell takes herself on a "date". I'm sure there are more examples.

• Haha
  • Wow

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
He’s been at uni for 3 years and wrote a book about what you need to know when going to uni when you have to be an adult. And yet he seems so incapable of doing anything remotely related to being an adult, it’s unreal especially how he makes it out into a big deal

• Haha

jerihoam

His content is so annoyingly clickbaity lately, and he's reeeeally trying to cling to that student market.

Three things I did to get all A*s in my A levels four years ago because this was the only successful moment in my academic career and I must cling to it at all costs!

How to write the perfect personal statement that got me rejected from a university I then spent the next four years of my life pining after!

Also fuck off trying to be relatable; as if it's normal to be able to afford to rent a flat in central London on a whim without a real job...

Lalisa_mb

I'm very happy for Ibz! He has come a long way and now he's going to be a postgraduate at Oxford, however, I'd like to ask a question
I'm not from the UK (as you can tell from my broken English haha) and I don't really know how the applications for Oxbridge work, but I was wondering...how is it possible that Ibz, after years of bashing Oxford, got a place, and Jack, because of doing "a dissertation in 24h", doesn't deserve a place? Didn't you say that the Unis check their prospective students' social media?:unsure: Did Ibz got a place due to his critical point of views?
I don't mean to excuse Jack's behavior, it's just curiosity about how the applications process work!

By the way, I saw this comment and I laughed out loud haha:
I mean Jack is so visibly dying for a space at Oxford whilst Ibz is a Cambridge graduate, has done so much for students all around the world and cambridge itself, he’s won so many awards, he’s got a lot of experience etc
On those basis, I would pick Ibz too lol
Because from his videos and his work you can see he cares so much about education and social mobility etc, and he’s going into an education sector so with all of that passion and experience, he’s the perfect candidate for their course

whereas jack, on the other hand
hasnt done much to illuminate his enthusiasm for it, typical white middle class entitled student who feels just cause he got the grades he should be able to go to x university. NO that’s not how it works. People who get the highest a-level/gcse/uni grades get rejected from top universities for reasons following;
You could get a first yet it doesn’t always put you in any leverage towards students who illuminate their passion and enthusiasm for their desired subject, whilst having evidence to prove it, eg Ibz helped build a school in Pakistan, does tutoring globally since he was fresh out of a levels and continues to do so and his determination to assist those who were in the same position as him is so evident

I got an offer from oxbridge & LSE - my gcse graces were so average, half of them a/a*, half c/d’. There was a TSR google sheet for students who got offers to put in their subject, predicted and gcse grades. I was the only student who received c/d’s. 97% of students were all a*-a gcse students. I was shocked yet I also know that I work so hard, I come from a background like Ibz and my personal statement showed how enthusiastic I am about studying history & English, immensely with evidence to supplement it

Having the grades does not guarantee you a seat at a top uni if you’re not passionate enough, the evidence is needed to support your enthusiasm

apologies for the typos, I type so fast haha

• Heart

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
Jack losing his shit about a few comments on tattle just reinforces his mentality that he thinks the world revolves around him. These influencers think they are the fucking elite when really they are no better than any other average person. In the real world if you do something wrong - especially if it was put on social media - there are actual fucking consequences, not just a thread discussing your faults. Jack, if your reading this you need to grow the fuck up, just because you’re an influencer doers this make you better than anyone else. Btw this comes from a actual Durham student, just saying that you’re not better and more successful than people who write on tattle.

cheesecakes

This is spot on, thank you. I always found Eve Cornwell so refreshing in that aspect, because when she was asked whether she would have liked to study at Oxbridge she straight up said no. Or Ruby - when she talked about MA programmes she said she had looked into Cambridge, but it's not at the top of her list. And that's how you're supposed to choose your postgrad course. What reason for wanting to attend Oxford can Jack give in his application besides the fact that it's Oxford?
I love Eve, she's the only StudyTuber I don't dislike - maybe because she's actually honest. I think she went through a period of being very unsure of herself but I admire her so much for coming out (the amount of hate on her thread saying she was 'queerbaiting'? like honey it's not queerbaiting if you're actually queer) and I genuinely think she will go on to do amazing things. She's driven, focused, and has an actual plan. I don't see Jack/Ruby/Eve Bennett/Jade having such success, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them go on to do YouTube full time.

Not that that's an issue, what works for them, but Eve Cornwell is about to become an actual lawyer. That's who I want to look up to, not Jack 'I haven't matured enough to realise that Oxford is not for me despite being almost 22' Edwards.

• Heart

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
So am I getting this right, he went to Berlin for a few days, no social distancing or masks. Then proceeds to meet up with Anastasia and Haz who both have not been social distancing/ following the rules. Jack is so irresponsible and seems to have just forgot about covid going here and there with everyone. It’s not fair that he doesn’t get any consequences from his actions and some people like myself have been careful but still catch coronavirus

fallenlvs

It makes me laugh that he was seriously calling out influencers in Dubai when it was only a few months ago he was swanning around Europe with jade and eve. Yeah he had supposedly not left the house bar a trip to Aldi but it stunk of hypocrisy for him to be so mad about it.

Also, since when has this idea about making a BTS book recommendation video popped into his mind? It’s the first time I’ve ever heard him talk about them and sounds to me like he’s taking a leaf out of Jade’s book and is trying to reel in ARMY for views :/ as an ARMY myself I just see it as him being a fake fan trying to get views lol

• Heart
Reactions: 14

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
Sorry but 1st gen, he’s clutching at straws here, he’s clearly from a middle class family who are doing well for themselves, YOURE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE SOMEONE WHO HAS STRUGGLED, you’re not from a minority group or pupil premium! He’s getting worse as the days go by!
This!!! He’s never had it hard - I’m from a working class background and I’m at Durham uni and it’s students like Jack that annoy me so much. So privileged but complaining about something and nothing - he doesn’t give a shit about anyone who is from a lower social status than him, and marketing a book with tips that can be found online for free just shows that

Lizziexoxoco

These new bookish vids reminded me that I actually like chill/normal Jack😅.
I guess it's just his Internet persona that I find insufferable, but I'd honestly love to hang out with him irl.
Seems like a well rounded, intelligent guy

3calico3

VIP Member
I think I've managed to work out what annoys me about Jack's videos: he can't say a single sentence without a stupid zoom-in halfway through it as he says a pun/joke in the most unsubtle intonation ever. It's not easy to watch or listen to, and makes me forget what he's actually talking about.

nrs264

VIP Member
I agree to an extent. I just find his presentation style too try hard children's TV presenter ott/obnoxious YouTuber

lalacat

it's actually obscene that he's been gifted a flat in London that he doesn't exactly need when there are so many people without homes, fucking hell