Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bexybest

There's a new 3 part documentary on Sky called 'Positive' looking at Britain's reaction to AIDS over the last 40 years.

I'm 1 episode in and really enjoying it.

I've clearly been living in a cave but I'd never heard of the Gay Switchboard before. It seemed to help lots of people!

Reactions: 2

Mookiegoose

Have you all watched Cucumber and Queer as Folk? Both were fantastic but Cucumber was amazing. I still think about it now.

I did my last essay in the fifth year at school on HIV and AIDS (1986). Although it was terrifying, maybe it was worse in bigger cities because it didn't affect many of us in Cumbria, probably because there wasn't a huge gay community (or if there was, it was all closeted). For years, in Carlisle, there were two openly gay blokes and they were both hairdressers. Thankfully, it's not as bad here now, but my gay friends feels more comfortable going out in Newcastle than here.

John Hurt narrated the adverts - Don't Die of Ignorance.

Ensay

VIP Member
I thought it was very well made and very important. Great acting throughout; especially from Keeley Hawes.

Not sure I have the strength to watch it again. :(

Twopenniesworth

VIP Member
I watched it for a second time and def picked up on stuff I'd missed - i'd recommend!
I loved it even more the second time around. I went in completely blind the first time. I had no idea what it was about or hadn’t even heard anything about it but the first Friday night it was on, I couldn’t reach the remote while I was feeding my baby so came across it by mistake 🤣 so glad I did but I wasn’t ready for the heartbreak 💔

Nikkinoo

Chatty Member
Is anyone planning on watching this?

I wasn't bothered at first but kept seeing the advert and it looks pretty good. Think it's this Friday it starts and the full series will be available to watch on All4.

Ooh I'm excited to start this 😍

Dwight

Chatty Member
Can someone explain why colins boss was trying to wash him in episode 1?
He was obviously an old perv hoping to get him undressed but I also think the continuing themes of hygiene with him was about him being closeted and the stigma of homosexuality being dirty
Such a beautiful series and wonderful acting of complex characters. I found it hard to warm to Ritchie and found him very self-centred but his friendship with Jill was everything.

Colin’s decline was distressing to watch. I thought it was powerful how his ‘relationship’ with the son of his landlady was portrayed, very ambiguous as to whether he was consenting. His friendship with Mr Coltrane and his partner was also so lovely, I wasn’t expecting NPH’s role to be so brief!

Keeley Hawes was incredible as Ritchie’s mum and also such a complicated mess of things... she loved her son but didn’t really know him, so what she thought was best for him wasn’t. She wanted to spite Jill for keeping the truth from her but couldn’t see that really she was spiting Ritchie. I so thought that his sister lurking in the background was going to find a way to get her mum away and Jill and Roscoe in!

The music... SO GOOD. I binged it all and now going back taking my time.
Colin's story was so distressing to watch. I finished watching the whole series a week ago and I still can't stop thinking about it, especially Colin. Powerful is the perfect way to describe the relationship with the landlord's son; I think it was written so ambiguously for viewers to make their own perception maybe. I personally didn't think of it as consensual, the son was very forceful and then although Colin may have seemed to hint at times he'd be home I thought that was more about his naivety and want to experience his sexuality. More than those scenes though the other scenes with his friends and his mother convinced me it wasn't something he really wanted. It may have been shame about his sexuality that lead to him never disclosing that information until he was going senile but I perceived it as sexual assault shame.

Also, the scene with Colin and his Mother and they say something about France - does anybody know what that was about? I was a little bit confused by that, was it simply to show early signs of the dementia or something else?

The whole series was so powerful and emotive. Me and my husband cried the whole way through, it was beautifully written and acted.

Pixie06

VIP Member
What's everyone watched since? I'm finding it really hard to get into anything else, watch about 15 minutes of something but can't get into it! It was so good, everything else seems rubbish!

• Heart

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I can’t remember if I’ve shared here already (I can’t find my post). I watched recently a film with Julia Roberts and Mark Ruffalo, The Normal Heart. It told the story of AIDS in NY in the late 70’s early 80’s. The shock, the loss, the love, the anger, the marches. It moved me a lot and educated me further about this terrible time.

• Heart

Shoegal17

VIP Member
Have you all watched Cucumber and Queer as Folk? Both were fantastic but Cucumber was amazing. I still think about it now.

I did my last essay in the fifth year at school on HIV and AIDS (1986). Although it was terrifying, maybe it was worse in bigger cities because it didn't affect many of us in Cumbria, probably because there wasn't a huge gay community (or if there was, it was all closeted). For years, in Carlisle, there were two openly gay blokes and they were both hairdressers. Thankfully, it's not as bad here now, but my gay friends feels more comfortable going out in Newcastle than here.

John Hurt narrated the adverts - Don't Die of Ignorance.
I have and Cucumber was amazing, it made me gasp in places and stayed with me for ages after. Is it still available to watch anywhere? I can’t remember if I watched Banana that was part of the series. I remember watching Queer as Folk the first time and thinking it was so risqué then rewatching it a few years ago. I’m sure I have the dvd. I’m only a couple of episodes in to Its a Sin and love it but also don’t want to watch on as can feel the sadness 🥺

lime

I knew nothing of Section 28 before It’s A Sin, which is quite shocking really. I was born in 1987 & it horrified me to think this was all in my lifetime & really not that long ago. Since it’s a sin, I’ve spent hours educating myself.
Didn't know anything about Section 28 either. I feel like it affected our generation in a huge way specifically with teachers in school treading on eggshells around the topic of gay-related bullying. It made me quite angry actually.

Dizzy

VIP Member
Yes, I binged this on 'AIDS: The Unheard Tapes' iPlayer the other day. Just stunning, insightful and heart-breaking. I was wrecked after watching this, a definite must watch though.
It was absolutely heart breaking. The performances of the actors where so good but weirdly it was the male HIV nurse, Lee, who really got me. He seemed to be living with so much pain and came across as such a lovely man.

• Heart

Lol57

I LOVE the US version of QAF. It’s so much better than the U.K. version 🙈 I’ve got the boxset & it’s top 3 fav ever shows. It’s multi-series as well, unlike it’s U.K. equivalent. I adore the relationship between Brian & Justin. It’s all kinds of wrong but ultimately, the ultimate playboy falling for the boy who loves him from the start.. with a fab supporting cast. They touch on AIDS here & there and there’s a central storyline with it as well. And there’s a real thread of friendship running through, not dissimilar to Its a Sin.

Also, Brian is dreamy.

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
I actually bought book recently which is going to be my next read. It's called "All The Young Men" by Ruth Coker-Burks, i've heard it's an emotional one, i'll let you know thoughts once i've dug into it a bit. :)
I read it, its as wonderful as read as its a sin was a watch if that makes sense?

Its desperate how they were treated, but this lady is one in a million and her compassion shines through in spite of all the difficulties.

• Heart

Tiredbones

I watched the final one last night and thought it was a masterpiece. The best thing I've watched in a long time and I think it will stay with me always. Colin's storyline absolutely broke me and the scene with Jill and Marcus at the end was so beautifully done and so so sad. I was a right mess by the time the final credits rolled and couldn't stop thinking about all the men who died alone and in shame. What a writer RTD is. I've just ordered my La! teeshirt as part of the proceeds goes to an AIDS charity and is endorsed by the great man himself.
I saw the tshirts, I'm going to order one as well :)

S4buk

VIP Member
Like others on this thread, I’m watching for a second time (C4 pace) and picking up on a lot of stuff I missed during the binge. It’s also quite a different experience watching it and knowing what’s going to happen (even though we had all guessed I’m sure).

SarcasticEllis

VIP Member
Nominated for 11 BAFTAs !! Woke up to Hearing Collins voice( bbc news was on the tv) thought I was dreaming!
Callum was interviewed on bbc news about the BAFTAs
they had to show the bit where Colin wanted his mammy, so I could start the day with tears in my eyes 😭 I really really hope he wins 🤞🤞🤞