Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jackie Brown

VIP Member
It was absolutely heart breaking. The performances of the actors where so good but weirdly it was the male HIV nurse, Lee, who really got me. He seemed to be living with so much pain and came across as such a lovely man.
Yes, Lee the nurse was such a beautiful soul and he was so traumatised by what he had seen, the patients he got to know, seeing friends admitted to the HIV ward and just the sheer turmoil and frustration of it all. He really captivated me. He just wanted to do good by those patients and made sure their final days were comfortable and that they were treated with respect.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Fishyrod42

There was a huge amount of panic and the TV continually played this awful advert and sent out leaflets to every household.
There was a huge amount of stigma attached in those days.

I remember that scary ad from when I was a kid. I think it was from 1987. There was alot of stigma, but I guess people were scared of it, and didnt understand it then. It's horrible that people were just left to cope though, and the British and American governments pretty much ignored it for a few years, because it was mostly gay men getting it.

StrattyNeet

He was obviously an old perv hoping to get him undressed but I also think the continuing themes of hygiene with him was about him being closeted and the stigma of homosexuality being dirty

Colin's story was so distressing to watch. I finished watching the whole series a week ago and I still can't stop thinking about it, especially Colin. Powerful is the perfect way to describe the relationship with the landlord's son; I think it was written so ambiguously for viewers to make their own perception maybe. I personally didn't think of it as consensual, the son was very forceful and then although Colin may have seemed to hint at times he'd be home I thought that was more about his naivety and want to experience his sexuality. More than those scenes though the other scenes with his friends and his mother convinced me it wasn't something he really wanted. It may have been shame about his sexuality that lead to him never disclosing that information until he was going senile but I perceived it as sexual assault shame.

Also, the scene with Colin and his Mother and they say something about France - does anybody know what that was about? I was a little bit confused by that, was it simply to show early signs of the dementia or something else?

The whole series was so powerful and emotive. Me and my husband cried the whole way through, it was beautifully written and acted.
It was heart wrenching and empowering. Colin’s story was sad. As for the old greasy sweaty closeted boss....self hatred

Moongirl69

VIP Member
I started it last night and watched two episodes. I laughed and cried and remembered how much I loved the 80s. Can't wait to watch the rest.

The Devils Arse

VIP Member
I'm tempted to rewatch this weekend. Although I need the OH distracted for 5 hours so there can be tears and snot galore, and i can have a proper cry.

Imainlylurk

Neil Patrick Harris is a fab actor, he was brilliant as Henry. His hospital scenes were heartbreaking, the pain he projected in his eyes. The pain of never seeing his partner of 30 years again, isolation & knowing he was dying. God, I could cry thinking about it 😭

But his accent was terrible! So baddd 😂 I wish they’d just let him play it American!
it's like Sacha Baron Cohen in The Trial of the Chicago 7 - a great, subtle performance but his accent is sooo distractingly all over the place.

~vix~83~

VIP Member
If you don’t already follow the pink palace on Instagram, they post photos from set and cast, and little snippets of the show. Today they posted photos of the pink palace.

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
Finally got round to watching this the past two nights. I had a vague idea of what was going to happen having seen clips on Gogglebox etc but still felt like a gut punch at the end and made me cry.

Dizzy

VIP Member
Go to Russel's IG page (russelltdavies63 I think) and todays post is the t-shirt with a link

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
Have you all watched Cucumber and Queer as Folk? Both were fantastic but Cucumber was amazing. I still think about it now.
I loved Queer as Folk. It's been years since I saw it, and I don't remember it very well now, so should probably do a re-watch. I never got around to watching Cucumber. I've just seen they are both on All 4 so will definitely watch.

Kate1970

VIP Member
Binged watched!!! Absolutely loved it, best drama I've seen for a while! Russell T Davis got it just right

sleepflowers

VIP Member
It's a weird one though, because although it was amazing, it was also so horrible at the same time. Both me and my sister said we just felt sad after it ended. I've never re-watched Cucumber because that was also really sad and tragic (in a different way).

I might psych myself up to re-watch.
I watched Cucumber last week for the first time - very different to It's A Sin, but like you say, still very sad and tragic but in a less overt way at times.