Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
it's like Sacha Baron Cohen in The Trial of the Chicago 7 - a great, subtle performance but his accent is sooo distractingly all over the place.
Have to say - I'm irish and thought his accent to be quite good.

I've been known to complain about actors Irish accents though - and a small part of me thinks that these people (gerard butler in PS I Love You for example) are saying what they hear - and we just hear it differently😭 pretty appalled that thats what they hear!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3

TriviaNewtonJohn

VIP Member
It's past 1am and I just binge-watched the final 3 episodes and am in bits. My thoughts:

- The scene in the car where his old schoolfriend said how Ritchie could do anything he wanted and had his whole career ahead of him was very upsetting
- Jill and Roscoe being in the Isle of Wight whilst Ritchie was still alive and being robbed of their reunion whilst he died alone in his bed
- COLIN!!!!! I found his final scenes very upsetting and disturbing. His mum was a lovely lady. I also enjoyed Colin's friendship with his work colleague at the start (can't remember his name but played by Neil Patrick Harris)
- We all need a friend like Jill. I was full-on ugly crying when she sat with that lonely man Marcus at the end and he looked so grateful for her company. I want to be more like Jill
- How understanding Ritchie's dad was by the end

Does anyone else think it's interesting they've released it now? There are so many covid deniers these days, just as there were many HIV deniers back then. I wonder if RTD is sending a message there.

Also, nice to see Heaven featuring a couple of times, I miss that place!! Loved going there with my gay friends back in my London days
I was listening to a podcast interviewing RTD and he didn't like how the release was during a pandemic. It definitely wasn't intentional. He said it was written ages ago and sitting in a drawer until the right team was there to get it made.

TescoSainsburys

VIP Member
I was 13 and though, OK I'm never having sex. Scared the life out of me.
Im the same, it frightened the hell out of me regarding sex. Im surprised GenX had sex at all after those ads (just googled and they are the most promiscuous - son't get this at all :/ )

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
RTD Is on homo sapian (spelling?) podcast in two parts. Says he could have written about it forever. I would have loved 8 parts. Just because I loved it so much.
Agree. Eight parts would have been great. I don't feel it would have dragged either. The five episodes moved at a very brisk pace and seemed to be over too quickly.

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want the story to be bang up to date. I'd like to see the same actors featured rather than different actors playing them 30 yrs later or trying to age them up as that never works successfully.

Tbh, I actually felt that it ended on the perfect note, I'm not certain I'd want it to go beyond that. But I do think it could easily have been 6-8 episodes - but with the same ending.
Yep sometimes i think a flash forward ruins a series.

The best ones leave you wanting more!!

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Even before It’s A Sin, I couldn’t listen to that song for welling up. I’m a big fan of Queen and Freddie, it always makes me sad to see how frail he had become towards the end. 😔
I grew up listening to queen but wasn’t a huge fan till watchin bohemian rhapsody and then I was hooked. These are the days and the show must go on always get me. I remember hearin about Freddie’s death. I was only 10/11i think.

I completely missed that it was up for Bafta's but not surprised to read it. Very surprised however to read that it didn't win anything!! My god, it's a masterpiece!

Along similar lines, has anyone watched Aids: The Unheard Tapes on iplayer? It's very good (if "good" is the right term for something so tragic) Really interesting account of that time, the gay community had it so rough.
I watched it the other day, such a tragic story told so wonderfully, the doctor who worked on the wards, when he was getting emotional it was making me tear up.

I can't remember his name but the man they had talking who worked at a helpline and lost his partner, he said at one point he was having to face that within 12 months he could have a full blown illness... when they transitioned at the end from the actor to the actual man I nearly burst out crying.
I absolutely didn't see it coming, he must've been so fearful back then and he's still here, isn't medicine wonderful!

Still absolutely heartbreaking to think of all the other men who sadly passed, they'll never ever be forgotten by the people who new them or learned of them, there's something rather beautiful in all of that.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Pumpkinpie0991

VIP Member
I’ve started to rewatch it and I’m just loving and feeling completely heartbroken for them all over again.

I’m so nosey about the deleted episodes where Jill, when older, would go back regarding the abuse?! I wonder who was abusing who.

but i was sad to hear how if those episodes would have stayed Roscoe would then become Hi positive later on in life, although the way things would be now things would be different but still.

Bexybest

Last night I tried to watch the aftershow again... But nope I cannot cope listening to that presenters voice!

Shame as I want to watch it and see the content. Maybe I should mute and subtitles 🤣

cocoblush

I think it was the shame of who he was. Almost as if burning everything would erase all memory of him. I don't think they could cope with his homosexuality and how he died
That explanation did cross my mind initally but now I wonder if his sister forced her parents to burn everything? The sister looked ruthless and emotionless as Gregory's stuff was being burnt on the bonfire, whereas his parents (particularly his dick-of-a-dad) looked genuinely devastated 🤷‍♀️ .

Last edited:

Mookiegoose

I've heard about cucumber but daren't ask what the vile scene is 😂

Ollie Alexander said the actor had only just left school and this was his first acting job. Loved his character and was based on RTD's real life friends 😢

*Colin was based on one of his RL friends.
It's not vile in a sexual way, maybe tragic and horrific would be better words.

Just finished it. Was dreading the end and then Everybody Hurts starts playing...

• Sad

Eirawen

VIP Member
Such a beautiful series and wonderful acting of complex characters. I found it hard to warm to Ritchie and found him very self-centred but his friendship with Jill was everything.

Colin’s decline was distressing to watch. I thought it was powerful how his ‘relationship’ with the son of his landlady was portrayed, very ambiguous as to whether he was consenting. His friendship with Mr Coltrane and his partner was also so lovely, I wasn’t expecting NPH’s role to be so brief!

Keeley Hawes was incredible as Ritchie’s mum and also such a complicated mess of things... she loved her son but didn’t really know him, so what she thought was best for him wasn’t. She wanted to spite Jill for keeping the truth from her but couldn’t see that really she was spiting Ritchie. I so thought that his sister lurking in the background was going to find a way to get her mum away and Jill and Roscoe in!

The music... SO GOOD. I binged it all and now going back taking my time.
O a
Yea but did Mrs Thatcher drink any of Roscoe's special tea though, or did Stephen Fry get there in time to stop her :ROFLMAO:

As well as the ambiguity over whether Colin consented to his encounters with the guy in the house he was lodging in (to me it looked like he maybe didn't fully consent, but was lost in the naivety of moving away from home etc to know what to do so he went along with it), I thought that moment with Stephen Fry saying he wasn't gay but every so often needed to be down in the dirt in order to lift his head up or however exactly he charmingly put it - was thought provoking as well.

The face on poor Jill when Ritchie's nasty mum said what she did by the sea front in episode 5 ... superb acting (by both of them) and also superb camera direction to refocus perfectly and catch it. There was the other moment when Ritchie's parents arrived at the hospital and first learned the truth of what he was suffering ... the camera very subtly refocussed from the mum to the dad indicating how they were both taking slightly different lengths of time to take things in and react. Again brilliant attention to detail and a pleasure to watch.

Also not sure if I missed something, after all every little tiny detail in this seemed to mean something, such as the tailor's shop boss being caught cottaging - but how/why did Colin's landlady turn up at the hospital?
I assumed that Colin,'s landlady turned up because her son was there he was probably the one who infected poor Colin.

~vix~83~

VIP Member
I wonder if it will feature on goggle box? Not sure how that show works only watch the repeats normally.