Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
He was on Soccer AM a few weeks ago, my hubby was watching. Hes a big Cardiff City fan and said he hid his sexuality at the football for a long time because its considered not the done thing to be gay and like football. Now hes out and hasnt had much flack, bless him.
My team (Glasgow Rangers) has a gay fans group. It’s so not a big deal anymore, I really wish a footballer would come out. its not happened since Justin Fashanu, who was treated horribly by the media. I don’t think it’d be the same now, I certainly hope not.

Reactions: 3

BigMavis

VIP Member
Why did they burn all Gregory's stuff? Its heartbreaking watching his father cry, maybe that was usual for infection control at the time?

Dwight

Chatty Member
I'm still psyching myself up to watch again tbh, I do want to watch it again and see what I notice that I didn't the first time. The fact that it was so beautifully done is what also makes it incredibly heavy though I suppose.

Monkeybum

VIP Member
Absolutely loved it! I'm sync watching on Fridays with my gay best friend 😊 We've decided we don't have enough to look forward to these days so binge watching would take the joy away

lemonlime

VIP Member
Can't wait to start watching it! Been pumped since I saw the trailer, glad to see people are enjoying it so far.

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I was born in 95, but I grew up knowing about aids, mainly because of Freddie Mercury.

I finished watching it all yesterday, it’s very sad what these people went through. There were so many straight men leading very promiscuous lifestyles and they weren’t made to feel dirty and shamed, it’s so wrong… I can’t imagine the terror they must have felt.

I saw a documentary on aids once and there was a 22 year old man named John dying of aids (who actually died before filming was finished), that broke me, I can’t even imagine.

I also watched Beautiful Thing on channel 4, that was also touching.

Amyx1518

VIP Member
Best thing I’ve seen in a long while, I was in floods watching! Olly Alexander was fantastic!

I watched it all today and it is brilliant..upsetting but brilliant..

It reminds me of the This is England series, well acted and portrayed the issues of the time really well..
Yes!!!

petitspois

VIP Member
Yeah it was the sister. I think it was highlighting how loveless their family home was and she was getting support and comfort from Ritchies friends. I may be wrong but that’s how I took it.
Yes, that's how I saw it - and that she did love him in her own way. I was expecting the Mum to be shown to be physically abusing the Dad actually. Glad they didn't go down that road as it would have deflected attention from the core story. Shows how good a scriptwriter I would be!

Dwight

Chatty Member
Maybe they will make a follow up now they know how successful it is. I really really hope they do.

They could make those missing episodes.
Each one named after a character. Like "Gloria" "Colin" "Richie" where we see the aftermath of each of their deaths and the effect it had on the remaining characters.
And then a bonus episode which is a flash forward to the current day.
I honestly love your idea so much. Email that to somebody pronto! 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha

Heyguysswipeup

VIP Member
I haven’t cried so much at a tv show before!! Maybe because Everybody Hurts took me by surprise as it was played at my cousins funeral :(
Thoroughly enjoyed the tv show though... haven’t stopped thinking about the characters

• Sad
  • Heart

Twopenniesworth

VIP Member
Just watching the first episode and I am loving it. I think you can watch the whole lot on 4OD so going to binge it this weekend

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
I watched this over two weekends back in January and I adored it. I cried so much at episode 3 & 5, like proper ugly sobbing.

I knew so little, I didn't even know about section 28 until recently. I was born in '92 and this is stuff they don't teach you in schools. The thing with Colin was so shocking because I never knew that AIDS could cause dementia and seizures, my friends didn't either.
The fact they got quarantined alone in wards and that the hospitals could hold them against their will because they were a "danger to the public" - it makes me so angry. There was no understanding or compassion and so much contempt and disgust!
Colin's mum was a hero, fighting for her son. They needed far more people like her and Jill back then, it's so sad. Can't say the same for Richie's mum, what a witch, I was furious with her robbing those last moments and not even letting them say goodbye. Such a nasty and selfish thing to do.

I saw Cucumber & Banana when they first aired but can't remember a lot, might have to rewatch. Same with The Normal Heart, that broke me. Also thinking of watching QAF and Pose after reading here.
I love QAF. A lot more light hearted but serious moments too. Its RTD so excellent ❤ I was in one of the bars they filmed at in Canal St and was beside myself 😍