Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chewingthefat

God this show, I can’t stop thinking about it.

I was born in 1982 so I can’t really remember too much about it but I do remember in primary school, kids would run around chasing other kids and if they caught them, they were given ‘Aids’ and had to pass it onto the next person they then caught. I don’t think any of them understood what AIDS was but it shows you how it trickled down to kids even as young as 6 or 7 at the time

It makes me sad that these men were living their lives in shame just because they were gay. And this wasn’t even a long time ago, this is modern history. My sister is a married gay woman who has been with her partner for nearly 20 years. The mental health struggles she has as a result of being horrifically bullied as a child and as an ADULT for being who she is are horrific. It’s scarred her for life and affects her every day and even now she gets funny looks if they walk down the street together or people whisper behind their backs. It’s shocking and heartbreaking.

Reactions: 4

TravellingPants

Chatty Member
O a

I assumed that Colin,'s landlady turned up because her son was there he was probably the one who infected poor Colin.
Yes, that was pretty clear. I meant the experience Colin had while living there in the flashbacks they showed... it wasn’t obvious to me that it was something he was willing to be part of. He obviously never discussed it with his friends afterwards which suggests some level of shame (which of course was a common theme throughout).

Pixie06

VIP Member
I definitely think we could have known some of the characters more in-depth 8 episodes would have been so much better! I don't know if anyone watched "I may destroy you" but that was 12 episodes!

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Currently trying to watch its a sin after party, and the host is......extreamly rather annoying. Such a shame as i find it so distracting, can't watch any more of it. :(
Oh my god she is soooo annoying! Glad I’m
Not the only person who thinks that!
I feel like the show isn’t long enough, but with her presenting it, it’s to long lol
The show could be so much better. I’ve always loved behind the scenes programs so was hoping to see more peep sneaks of the show and more talkin from the the cast l.

clt1992

Chatty Member
Just finished this and wow what an amazing series. I am so sad it’s over😭 like others have said I was born in the 90’s and had no idea about half of this stuff.

This has to win awards it was just absolutely brilliant

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
I thought I had two to go but only one. I sobbed for most of it. The friendship they had was wonderful. It was a great piece of drama. I will re watch it again .

Tigercat55

Chatty Member
I’ve just finished my second re-watch and I’m sobbing again at episode 5 😭 It’s just all so tragic. It’s like Romeo and Juliet- every time I watch that, a bit of me hopes it will turn out differently.

Dizzy

VIP Member
I completely missed that it was up for Bafta's but not surprised to read it. Very surprised however to read that it didn't win anything!! My god, it's a masterpiece!

Along similar lines, has anyone watched Aids: The Unheard Tapes on iplayer? It's very good (if "good" is the right term for something so tragic) Really interesting account of that time, the gay community had it so rough.

Toffee finger

VIP Member
Fans of It's A Sin, I recommend taking a look at this excerpt from the musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie that's currently on Amazon Prime. As it is very similar in tone/style and shows some similar historic scenes as It's A Sin did.

It features the song "This Was Me" with Richard E Grant (he's very good) with Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) taking over the singing after a while. The song wasn't in the stage musical, but was written just for the film.

The best part of the film imo really well done and so sad. Had me and my doesn’t-cry-at-films husband in tears.

~vix~83~

VIP Member
There's a huge amount of articles being written about the comparisons with HIV and COVID. Just one of them here:

The thing that is similar is the amount of deniers re HIV and COVID. Look at Richie's speech, he thought it was all a load of bollocks and so did a lot of his peers. It took someone they knew being infected before they started to believe it, even though people were dying around them.

One other thing I wasn't aware of was the amount of remedies people took to try to either get rid of HIV or stop them catching it. Battery acid for fuck's sake! I have just re-watched Pose and the same thing is shown there. Pray Tell tries a butter diet because apparently it could make you shit the virus out of you. Just shows, Trump and his drinking of bleach etc wasn't that weird!
Thank you I will have a read.
It’s crazy when you think about it, battery acid is more deadly but in that moment you’d do anything. When he was ringin the helpline and asking for advise, those poor call handlers too.

Mcomics

Chatty Member
God this show, I can’t stop thinking about it.

I was born in 1982 so I can’t really remember too much about it but I do remember in primary school, kids would run around chasing other kids and if they caught them, they were given ‘Aids’ and had to pass it onto the next person they then caught. I don’t think any of them understood what AIDS was but it shows you how it trickled down to kids even as young as 6 or 7 at the time

It makes me sad that these men were living their lives in shame just because they were gay. And this wasn’t even a long time ago, this is modern history. My sister is a married gay woman who has been with her partner for nearly 20 years. The mental health struggles she has as a result of being horrifically bullied as a child and as an ADULT for being who she is are horrific. It’s scarred her for life and affects her every day and even now she gets funny looks if they walk down the street together or people whisper behind their backs. It’s shocking and heartbreaking.
Thinking about it realistically homosexuality was only legalised 13 years before this show is based. A lot of people's mindset would be it was 'dirty, illegal, forbidden' I was in high school ( so approx 13) when all the terrifying TV ads were on etc but you really didn't know how awful it was for those suffering. I have watched the show 'pose' as well & how they showed the hospital conditions for these poor men was horrific!!

Idontknowwhatimdoing

This exactly with the friend.

He's dying and if not now, when?

With the mother, I think he was fully aware and just trying to make her understand that his way of life is okay, just because he's gay he isn't "wrong" and that he's had lots of fun and lived a good life without any regrets. So that she understands that he's fine with it all, that he wasn't wrong ("debauchery") and that there are no "what ifs" and to not blame others (his friends, Jill) for his own choices in life. I'm not explaining this well I feel, hope you get what and how I mean it.
Thank you both, my daughter who’s 16 is also watching it on my recommendation and I just wanted to check my understanding in case she asks, although honestly, she’ll probably get it! She’s much sharper than me!

Lol57

Yes, I’ve cringed through the after party episodes 😬 the cast have interesting things to say but alas!

• Haha

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
The France thing was just before he had his second fit so I can only assume something sparked in his brain.

I completely saw the sex with 'football top' as consensual. Colin certainly seemed to enjoy it, and also seemed to invite it, when he told his landlady he was happy to stay home when they were out. 'Football top' obviously saw it as something to be ashamed of given his disgusting language during and his mother's attitude in the hospital. Given that Colin obviously caught HIV from him, he'd obviously been at it with other people but hated himself for it.

I think I might watch it again, because you always see things you missed the first time (especially as I was watching while working at the same time).
I watched it for a second time and def picked up on stuff I'd missed - i'd recommend!

LittleMy

VIP Member
What's everyone watched since? I'm finding it really hard to get into anything else, watch about 15 minutes of something but can't get into it! It was so good, everything else seems rubbish!
I’ve been watching Pose on Netflix. Really enjoying it so far. A lot of heart in it and comedy.