Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Brianbadonde

Just watched the whole lot again for the 2nd time.. Ugly cry mark 2 along with my mum, this series has really got under my skin in a good way. also gone down a massive learning journey, searching how the epidemic started, what happened to all those poor men (and women) and spent hours on the aids memorial insta page.. I was born in 86 so really had no knowledge of what happened.. 🌈

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
The first opportunity Colin got to move out he did. Imagine that being your first sexual experience, awful. He was such a gentle soul. I imagine it scarred him as he never wanted to be involved with anyone again.
I think so too... he was the loveliest person! His loveliness and the tragedy will haunt me!

• Heart

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
I've just watched the entire series and thought it was brilliant, touching funny and so sad. Everything about it was done so well, lovely characters, great sets and the music was really well chosen.

We were all devastated when Colin died particularly but all the main characters were portrayed wonderfully.

Russell T Davies has surpassed himself with this series. I hope it wins many awards.

• Heart

Aussie

VIP Member
I was shocked that she finally met Jill only to say "he's dead" as if she was putting a knife through j ill's heart. That threw me!
As a parent I think she wanted to rob Jill of that final moment with Ritchie as she feels Jill kept her away from Ritchie. I felt so sad for Jill

Agree with everything here. I did think when Richie's mum met Gill to say Richie had died,I thought she was lying to get rid of Gill.
Me too, I gasped out loud at that scene

SkinkaareFan

VIP Member
Is anyone planning on watching this?

I wasn't bothered at first but kept seeing the advert and it looks pretty good. Think it's this Friday it starts and the full series will be available to watch on All4.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Binged watched it and it’s the best drama I’ve seen in ages. Acting and writing were amazing. I was so young when AIDS became an epidemic I really didn’t know much about it beyond the leaflets and adverts in the 80’s. Seeing the real heartbreak of this time played out in this 5 episode series was absolutely brilliant, upsetting and heartbreaking. Bravo 👏

VicksterIcon

Chatty Member
We binged 3 episodes Friday and the last 2 Saturday. I was a complete mess throughout. I lost my uncle in 1994 to AIDS so hit home for me as I visited him during his last few weeks. Nothing prepares you to see someone dying of this. I was so engrossed with the show emotionally I had to watch it again and finished watching it for a second time last night. I loved the characters, felt I knew them but then I guess I spent the 90’s hanging out in gay clubs in Bournemouth and London (I’m a straight girl). I had missed quite a bit the first time around where I was caught up in the emotion and thinking back to my uncle. I managed to keep it together until the last episode. Just to add I was 10 when the virus was first reported and remember watching the government‘s public information broadcast.

• Heart

theghosttown

VIP Member
Binge watched it last night and last episode this morning. So hard hitting, had me in tears. I love that there’s not really been anything like it before!

Vroomvroom

Chatty Member
Binge watched it at the weekend, heart breakingly brilliant. I loved Colin, his episode made me full on cry. I was born in 1982 so was too young to really understand the aids crisis, its so terrible how gay men were treated and scares me this was in my lifetime!

Geordieboy71

An absolutely brilliant series. It had RTD all over it, so well written. I was a teenager in the early 80's and recognised some of the behaviour and misconceptions. The rubber gloves was typical, the bonfire not so well.known but I heard one story where a family did exactly that when their son died.

The different manifestations if the virus from early on set dementia, pneumonia, lesions etc were accurately displayed.

It was amazing, thought provoking and well worth a 2nd viewing - I need to recover first though.

LA

Imadreamer

Just want to thank/blame you all for inspiring me to watch Cucumber on All4. Such a change of pace to Its a Sin but still absolutely brilliant and shocked me in different ways. Just goes to show that RTD is a bloody genius.

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
Binge watched four episodes yesterday, will watch the last two tonight. Love the cast and music. A very moving story, heartbreaking and heartwarming. Loved Olly Alexander in it. Colins story ( played by Callum Scott Howells) had me sobbing. Great TV , heart wrenching. Laughing and ugly crying in my house. La!

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
La!

Watched two episodes last night and loved it!

Planning on watching the rest later. I know I'll be in tears.

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
I loved the show but I probably won’t watch it again. My uncle died of HIV related illness the day after Freddie Mercury and while I never knew him (I was born in 92) its very upsetting to think of how he must have spent his last months of his life. My mam and her family were as supportive as an Irish catholic family could be in the 80’s/early 90’s.
It’s horrible the stigma they faced every day so while I absolutely loved the show I think it’s the first and last time I give it a go.

• Sad

~vix~83~

VIP Member
I felt so sad for Colin’s mum after she received the parcel of shit through the letterbox. That poor, poor woman. Her son was dying in hospital and she was being harassed by neighbours at a time when as a community they would’ve ordinarily pulled together to help her through something so terrible. She was such a lovely mother too, very accepting of her son and his friends. The stigma around sexuality and AIDS in general was so bad. I’m glad we are a less ignorant society today.
She was so lovely and I think that’s what made Collin story even sadder.
Hearing who wants to live forever gets me! I went down a queen YouTube hole last night and seeing the difference in Freddie in the last few videos was very Richie ❤💔💔

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Hunnyangel

The stigma for my mum who is a lesbian in the 80s was awful we as children used to get teased and bullied. God knows what it was like for gay men let alone with hiv/aids! I binge watched it all tonight and loved it still sobbing now. La!

• Heart
Reactions: 7