Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pixie06

VIP Member
The first opportunity Colin got to move out he did. Imagine that being your first sexual experience, awful. He was such a gentle soul. I imagine it scarred him as he never wanted to be involved with anyone again.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

Lola UK

VIP Member
WOW! I watched it yesterday, expecting to watch maybe 1 or 2 episodes, but like many of you, I binged watched it all in one night. I needed to finish the story!

it was incredible. I haven’t watched a series which has sucked me in like this for a long time. I can’t stop thinking about it. Everything about it, I loved.

the story, the characters, the friendship, the music, the acting.. 10/10! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Sw4

VIP Member
Such a good series. The Colin storyline was devastating and the acting was amazing. Glad it was funny and not just heavy drama all the time. Think I might rewatch as it was so good.

I was only born at the end of the 80s so too young to remember any of this, the only thing I vaguely remember hearing about HIV/AIDS was the Mark Fowler storyline in Eastenders. (just rewatched the clip behwen him and Peggy on YouTube... was really poignant and well-acted too). So shocking to see how much of a stigma there was at the time. I can sort of understand the whole extreme quarantine thing as nobody yet really knew if it was spread via touch or saliva etc, but the inhumanity of it all was really hard to see.

sleepflowers

VIP Member
Cucumber is next weeks viewing. Did you watch banana as well?
That's next on my list! I know there's some crossover but I think I prefer the continuous storyline style of Cucumber rather than self-contained episodes. However, I know there's more Freddie in Banana so...:love:

I think it's a shame how few of my straight friends have watched It's A Sin (or any TV based around gay people). I'm straight but so much of my life and my interests are influenced by gay people that I feel I should watch these things, and I genuinely find them much more rich and complex than hetero love stories.

• Heart

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
I too cannot stop thinking about Colin and the whole series. Colin was such a sweet guy, brought out the motherly instincts in me. Made me want to protect him. 😢 Tempted to watch it all again.

I did that with Pose too. Loved that series and their close-knit friendship. 💜

Rbarb-bkini

I watched this over two weekends back in January and I adored it. I cried so much at episode 3 & 5, like proper ugly sobbing.

I knew so little, I didn't even know about section 28 until recently. I was born in '92 and this is stuff they don't teach you in schools. The thing with Colin was so shocking because I never knew that AIDS could cause dementia and seizures, my friends didn't either.
The fact they got quarantined alone in wards and that the hospitals could hold them against their will because they were a "danger to the public" - it makes me so angry. There was no understanding or compassion and so much contempt and disgust!
Colin's mum was a hero, fighting for her son. They needed far more people like her and Jill back then, it's so sad. Can't say the same for Richie's mum, what a witch, I was furious with her robbing those last moments and not even letting them say goodbye. Such a nasty and selfish thing to do.

I saw Cucumber & Banana when they first aired but can't remember a lot, might have to rewatch. Same with The Normal Heart, that broke me. Also thinking of watching QAF and Pose after reading here.

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
SPOLIERS
Colins storyline was upsetting :cry: I liked him the most he was so lovely. I did not know the virus could take you so quickly! The treatments these days are so advanced could have saved so many people. When Richie saw the lesion on don's back he knew.
I cried so much at Colin 😭

• Sad
  • Heart

Eirawen

VIP Member
I also gasped. I was so wanting them to have a final goodbye with Richie. So sad 😫😭💔
I was shocked that she finally met Jill only to say "he's dead" as if she was putting a knife through j ill's heart. That threw me!

• Sad

Ophelia

I love Russell T Davies. I waited to this evening to watch and said to myself, only watch one. I'm now on episode 3. I knew I was going to be needing some tissues whilst watching this and I wasn't wrong. ❤

Molsdol

Chatty Member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ghQVJ3qAcAU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here is what us Irish teens were watching.

It was 1993 before Ireland reformed the laws on homosexuality. And this brought back alot of the queer bashing that existed back then. There was a VJ called fab Vincent Hanley and he died in 1987 of an Aids related illness but all denied by him at the time. So sad that people just couldn't live their lives but hell last night the underground scene did look fun. Hit me with your lasers.

Aussie

VIP Member
This has to be one of the best things I've watched in a long time. The acting was superb, also everyone needs a Jill in their lives. Not sure if this was mentioned as I've not RTFT, the actor who played Ritchie's BF Donald is actually HIV positive IRL.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
RTD has said that there was another episode written that brought the story and characters right up to date, but that it was not funded.

Maybe it will get funded now that Eps 1-5 have been so well received.
I thought it odd that there was just 5 episodes, usually there’s 6 to a series. Let’s hope we get to see the 6th as a special

Topaz

Chatty Member
I meant to watch one episode and binged the whole thing. It did not feel like 5 hours, it went in so quickly, just really gripping and compelling, I couldn't stop watching. So many brutal, gutwrenching moments, like the bonfire at the end of ep 2. Colin's entire fate. Just heartbreaking 😭

Reminded me of the sublime The Normal Heart and also And The Band Played On. The way it starts off with everyone hopeful and happy and you know some of these wonderful characters are doomed. It's stunning from a 2021 perspective how little Aids was reported on at first, the misinformation, the blame, the ignorance, the wall of silence (that doctor Jill saw! 🤬). So many more lives could have been saved.

• Sad

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Yes, Colin was my favourite. I would have loved to see Callum Scott Howells on Bake Off.
Callum has done a film, it’s gonna be on Netflix soon.

Like others have said, This show has really stuck with me.
Ive been visiting my husband in hospital, but I couldn’t for the 1st few days n it made me think of all those men/boys who couldn’t see family or their family didn’t want to see them.

They should show it’s a sin in schools.

• Heart

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Just love how people are still talking about it’s a sin, there’s been a lot of hiv/aid talk on the tv and they always say how it’s a sin has helped and educated and made more people aware.

Did anyone watch the new Freddie Mercury documentary on bbc the other week? Highly recoommend. It wasn’t just about Freddie but the whole 80/90s era of hiv/aids.

Part of me wants to re watch it’s a sin, but don’t think I’ve mentally prepared for it again!

petitspois

VIP Member
Read an interview with Russell T Davies earlier and, as others have said, it was supposed to be 8 parts but C4 asked him to cut it. It was also turned down by C4, BBC and ITV at least once.

• Sad
  • Wow

La_frenchie

I cannot fathom to see your best friends dying in front of you in these conditions.

On a lighter note, on of the nurses in the last episode is Mandy from this country.

Noseyparker68

The way this programme has brought everyone together and openly talking about HIV/AIDS is just brill. My 20 year old son cannot believe Section 28 even got passed. I knew my auntie had been a barrier nurse and nursed AIDS patients and never thought that much about it. Two weeks ago I was speaking to my mum on the phone and she openly told me that my uncle had died due to complications of AIDS. Now I clearly remember my uncle coming home from offshore and never going back and suddenly him just fading away into oblivion. Things like not being with my grandpa picking him up from the heliport or not going to his flat down the beach, he just seemed to disappear. Then suddenly he died and there was a funeral then all his stuff was given away but no actual explanation. She said that my gran had heard about and watched It’s a Sin and called her weeping and said it was time to not be ashamed anymore. It just kills me that so many poor young boys lost their lives to something so stigmatised that they died alone or ashamed like lepers. And that so many families who loved and nursed their children to the end like mine did couldn’t just bury their dead in peace with dignity. This programme has touched so many people I don’t even think everyone in it will ever realise how much. Funnily enough my mum is from a Glaswegian Catholic family who always say “It’s a sin” to describe anything bad happening like if Mary at no 10 has a heart attack then it’s a sin. Or Tesco run out of teabags it’s a sin 😂
I have friends now with HIV and it's sad because there's still a stigma oddly enough I think more with gay people.

• Sad
  • Heart

Toffee finger

VIP Member
We watched it all yesterday and I can’t stop thinking about it. It makes me so sad and angry that people were (and still are) treated like that. I think episode 3 was the worst episode for me. Colin’s story was so upsetting.

• Sad