Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
I've just watched episode 5. I've found most of it emotional but the last episode really hit me.

A fantastic program and everyone in it was amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
That explanation did cross my mind initally but now I wonder if his sister forced her parents to burn everything? The sister looked ruthless and emotionless as Gregory's stuff was being burnt on the bonfire, whereas his parents (particularly his dick-of-a-dad) looked genuinely devastated 🤷‍♀️ .
I don't think there's anything to suggest it was all the sister's doing. The dad was hardly a shrinking violet and clearly the dominating force. He was definitely devastated but I think he probably thought it was the right thing to do due to the shame/stigma.

petitspois

VIP Member
I thought it was a masterpiece. So perfectly pitched and and well told.

Attitudes have changed but people are still so judgmental - I messaged a group of work colleagues about how good it was when someone asked for TV recommendations and got the reply 'think I'll give that one a miss thanks'.

• Sad
  • Wow

Imainlylurk

Watching this at the moment, it's devastating yet funny and joyful at the same time. I didn't fully realise that some Aids patients really suffered from senility/dementia-like symptoms, Colin's story has really stayed with me - thinking about how hard it must have been for their loved ones. He was such a loveable character, too. And how authoritarian the Welsh police and doctors were- terrifying. At least he had a loving mum and strong advocates in his friends.

Really interesting that in the early years those talking about the disease were treated as mad conspiracy theorists and to see how that slowly shifted. And it must have been so lonely for those patients who died in the early years of the epidemic.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I thought it was a masterpiece. So perfectly pitched and and well told.

Attitudes have changed but people are still so judgmental - I messaged a group of work colleagues about how good it was when someone asked for TV recommendations and got the reply 'think I'll give that one a miss thanks'.
Their loss. They are missing an absolute gem of a show. Probably my favorite of all time. ❤

• Heart

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
I knew their treatment in hospital would be bad but this broke me ! Absolutely horrific. The ending.. awful. Im in the LGBT community and only my best friends and sister know.

I've also told my therapist and it was a hard thing to accept. I knew I was sexually attracted to women but only romantically to men. Im also demi sexual so it made it stressful for me. Thinking, do I fancy that actress or is it in my head ? This shouldn't be something we still question.

I mentioned on another thread, I told my mum and aunt I could be bi last summer. My aunt laughed. And said that when you find the man you'll marry, he won't respect or love you. As in that he would cheat or just not take me seriously.

Im 29 this year and I've never been to Pride. One of my best friends is an out gay man and I just want to go and party with him but its also as if I dont feel worthy. Like because my preference is male I dont count as LGBT.

This show made me cry like a baby. Thinking about if I was living in Ireland there with my best friend, I'd be working 24/7 about him. Imagining if I was in a hospital alone with no one. Or locked up like Henry and Colin. Horrific.

I've watched it 3 times already. Its so so so important. I started Pose too and its amazing.

Here is to a million more shows about LGBT history.
You should go to Pride! I'm hetero but was on a stall at Glasgow Pride a couple of years back. Had such a great day and met so many interesting people, including a very tipsy 17 year old girl who was scared to tell her mum she was gay. I said to her just do it, and her mum probably had an idea anyway. ❤

• Heart

petitspois

VIP Member
Some men I've mentioned it to seem to recoil a bit but would then happily watch a show about a serial killer. I find it really odd.

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Why did they burn all Gregory's stuff? Its heartbreaking watching his father cry, maybe that was usual for infection control at the time?
I think it was to wipe out any memory of him cos of the stigma, I might be wrong.

Reactions: 8

VIP Member
My Mother just changed channels and got this, she wondered what the fuck was going on, orgy scene! (to the music of Hooked on Classics)

I'm going to watch this on catch up, I was a teenager at the time so I will understand those times, music, fashion, no channel four.

For me this will be a trip down memory lane.

• Heart

Curly Top

VIP Member
What a brilliant drama. It had everything: honour, pathos, drama, energy, showmanship and history. The cast were all outstanding and the clothes, interiors and outdoor scenes were spot on for the times. It really took me back to those days. Funnily enough, back in '84 - '87 I was living with four gay guys - two couples - in a flat in south London. They all worked in the arts: a costumier, a graphic designer, one wrote the blurb on the back of paperbacks and the other was a jeweller. Because they were all in committed relationships and worked in gay friendly industries they seemed happy and discussions about AIDS never cropped up - which seems unbelievable now.

One scene which really stood out for me was when Ash was asked to remove books from the school library which referred to homosexuality. In a long speech he said Dickens, Shakespeare and Jane Austen never had gay relationships within their pages. He found just a couple of paperbacks to appease the teacher. To me this is so wrong - centuries of literature, a lot of it focusing on love and its associated strong feelings, just ignoring same sex relationships.. It says it all really.

• Heart

TravellingPants

Chatty Member
The characters really do stay with you. I’d also recommend following The Aids Memorial on Instagram that posts every day photo(s) of people who died due to the virus with a caption written by someone who loved and misses them. It is so moving and tragic to realise just how many lives ended so early and painfully and the scale of the loss for their families and friends, especially stories where the person’s family denied how they died. It can get a bit heavy but I always stop to read them and look at the photos. If I’d been born 20 years earlier, it would have been my friends and my community.

• Heart

Xoxgossipxoxo

Chatty Member
Binged it all last week.
Loved it. Cried laughed cried again mainly.

Shocking to think people with aids hiv were treat 😞
The shows really stayed with me in mind Almost can’t shake it off! Been a while since I’ve watched a show that’s made me think like this.
I knew there was a stigma but didnt know how bad it was horrible thinking of all those poor boys and men that died all alone ☹

• Sad
  • Heart

La_frenchie

Jill knew Ritchie died alone and needn’t have. She went and sat with Marcus at the end of episode 5. She didn’t want another dying alone. Jill is a legend. Everyone needs a Jill! ❤
What an incredible lady. So much strength and compassion.

• Heart

Pixie06

VIP Member
Was he not taken away from the toilets with another boy by the police in one episode? I can’t remember but it looked like him.
One of the older generations that were clearly in the closet, and married. Looked like he was arrested for cottaging.

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Colin was so sweet in his little brown coat 😭 I think I found his story the saddest, because he'd barely even started in life, he'd never even had a relationship or anything, like in the first episode, when his colleague asked if he wanted a boyfriend and he said yes, and he never got to have one 😪
This 100% Collin was the one everyone loved by the sound of. He was so young and you could tell how young he was when he was in hospital. All he wanted was to learn everything and be happy. His little brown coat ❤❤

Attachments

• 168.6 KB
  • 115.9 KB
    • Heart

Powpow46

Watched it all in one sitting. Cried for Colin. And the mother at the end? I shouted Bitch aloud. Fantastic show. Loved it

LittleMy

VIP Member
    I literally had just said to OH that I thought Colin was my favourite of the group, and by the end of the episode, well... 😢

• Sad
    • Heart