Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Thelmachops

VIP Member
That advert scared me too, but I was too young to know what it was really about..

Edited to add that I have remembered another programme that it reminded me of, Pose...I highly recommend it.

Reactions: 10
I immediately got goosebumps when she just threw out there that he had died. Like, the skin of my scalp actually prickled and my jaw dropped open!!

I was trying so hard to be understanding of his mum's behaviour during the hospital scene where she called Jill a bitch. I thought a huge bombshell has been dropped on her, she didn't know her son was ill until it was too late so of course, she would take it out on Jill who is the closest to him but she really held onto that bitterness till the very end.

And to act like Jill was going to be fine, and come to the cafe with her and regale her with stories of Ritchie's life in London? Pathetic! I'm glad Jill gave her a piece of her mind!!
It really was so gut wrenching. He begged to see his friends & she denied him that...
And I can't even think about poor Colin 😭

• Sad

petitspois

VIP Member
I bet Russell T Davies has mixed feelings when he sees how much publicity and praise C4 are getting for making it when it took and age for it to get agreed, was cut and only got the green light as it was championed by one guy.

Or maybe that's how the industry works.

Awhenny

VIP Member
I loved this!! Watched all of it over 2 nights....last episode the bit that had me bawling was in the hospital when ritchies mum is asking him how he got it and saying you are not infectious and them hugging and his mum kissing his face like you do as standard with your kids. I was distraught. Amazing acting from all involved.

• Heart

Libbylulu

VIP Member
The funeral of their friend was quite telling. How many not only died of AIDS and the families said they died if something else but their partners were banned from the funerals like they didn’t exist as they had no say or rights as a legal partner or husband then.

37BBL

VIP Member
I've just finished watching it, it was so so good!
The first episode I wasn't sure i would get into it, so glad I persevered. I had no idea about the whole crisis, I was born in 88. Feels very ignorant to say that but I had no clue what things were like then, thank god things have changed.
I thought Olly Alexander was fantastic.

Reactions: 9

Lulu Goss

VIP Member
I loved it! Watched the second episode too and going to binge the rest this weekend

I think it’s so well written, some of it is so fun and carefree but it still plays out the important, sadder parts really sensitively. Can’t wait for the rest!

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
How many men would watch it if it was about lesbians? Just think about that...
Slightly off topic but this links in to childhood..........many studies have found that trying to increase literacy and reading in boys aged 8+, that they will not read a book if the main protagonist is a girl. Girls are less bothered by the gender of the lead character.

However back to its a sin - my heart will never recover from Colin. Opened my eyes massively to the symptoms and treatment.
I do remember a night of tv aimed at raising awareness. Think I was around 8/9 and it was late 80’s? I think Jonathan Ross was on it but this may be completely in my head!

La!

I had to ignore this thread when spoilers appeared as wanted to enjoy it in 'real time' - mostly because there's naff all to look forward to at the moment.

Haven't enjoyed anything so much in years (last thing I remember loving immediately as much was Casanova, I'm definitely a RTD girl).

I've been telling everyone I speak to they have to watch it, such an important and amazing show. Spent 50 mins of the final wound up then the last 10 minutes sobbing. Colin's episode completely broke me 😭

Already planning a weekend to binge watch with a lot of tissues. And wine
I came on the thread after the 1st episode but so many people had binged it after and I read a spoiler so stayed away until I watched in real time too. Just about pulled myself together enough to come on here now. It was one of the best things I've watched in a long time, so thought provoking, hilarious and heart breaking all in one. Loved it even if it turned me into a snotty weeping mess!

• Heart

Twopenniesworth

VIP Member
I just watched it for the second time from beginning to end as my partner didn’t watch with me the first time. All of the actors have something special! I have such a soft spot for Colin! Bless him!

maximreed

Bonjour from France.
It was great, just great. I loved it.
Episodes 3 and 4 especially had me in tears.
Colin, Jill and Roscoe were my favorite characters.

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Just had a read on Twitter and gills mum in the show was real life gill 💜
Google maps Paton street Manchester

• Wow

ThisishowIlivenow

VIP Member
This is a show that certainly stays with you!

I remember thinking during one of the episodes was ~at least Colin will be alright~because I, foolishly, thought cause he hadn't been partaking in the whole "scene" he would be protected. But I thought that was a superb point in the script cause of course it wasn't just those folks on the "scene" that caught this!
When the camera panned to him lying on that copy place floor my stomach actually dropped.
And it's stayed with me since. It's that profound. The whole series is.

I too, have seen the normal heart and I went back to watch it after finishing it's a sin. I would say it's a sin was more intense for me, I don't know why, maybe cause it was UK based and Colin 💔 but the normal heart has stayed with me too!

Sorry I'm not adding to anything here just wish I'd known of this thread when it was on!

Awhenny

VIP Member
Oh i know, she just couldnt accept that her son had a whole life she knew nothing about. Jealous of jill and couldnt grant him his dying wish. Wonder if she ever regretted her actions? Tried to make amends or understand her son and his life and illness?

I think that part did happen to jill in real life.

kev1974

VIP Member
ITV and the BBC must be kicking themselves
No way the BBC or ITV would have allowed some of the scenes in it, like football shirt boy going at it, or the Hooked On Classics rapid fire sequence, even today in the so called more liberal age. But I feel those scenes are part of what made it great, because they really showed the background to everything. I dare say the BBC might also have had issues with the portrayal of the tailor shop manager cutting a bit close to some of their past staff behaviours as well and that would also have put them off. C4 is really the only main channel I could see it working on.

MrsSoprano

Just watched it 😭I cant stop thinking of all those men dying alone and feeling ashamed 😭😭 heartbreaking

• Sad