Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

tarahalls

Chatty Member
Colin was so sweet in his little brown coat 😭 I think I found his story the saddest, because he'd barely even started in life, he'd never even had a relationship or anything, like in the first episode, when his colleague asked if he wanted a boyfriend and he said yes, and he never got to have one 😪
I’d heard a lot about the show before I started it (still not finished) & honestly didn’t see it coming for Colin. Which of course absolutely broke me 💔

Reactions: 11

NB14

By far the best thing I’ve watched in a long time. Laughed, cried, every emotion possible! Superb writing and acting, really the highest standard. I couldn’t recommend it enough to anyone. Actually thin it should be compulsory viewing for everyone!

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
Can I ask a silly question, and apologies if it’s been asked before. I’ve just watched for the second time and I was wondering about the scene in the beach with the school friend. Was the way Richie behaved in this scene a product of his illness or was it just him being desperate to engage with the friend? (Sorry not the best terminology) He was being overly graphic with the friend and although he’d been like this with is friends it just seemed a bit extreme. Similarly in E5 when he’s telling his mum what fun he had, was that oversharing due to his illness? You know like Colin in E3. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I took the scene on the beach as him now just being really confident with who he is, and thinking “fuck it I’m gonna die anyway”. I really thought they were going to allude to his friend actually being closeted gay but unlike Ritchie he never left home so could never be who he really was... but that wasn’t the case.
The scene with his mum I wasn’t sure, there wasn’t ever mention of him having the same sort of symptoms as Colin but he may he had some sort of delirium near the end I suppose. The ending still makes me angry when I think about it!

Upintheair83

VIP Member
Just popping back on this thread to say this program has really stayed with me since watching it. I watched it when it was first aired and ever since iv had even more respect for those touched by this awful disease, and even more horror at how society treated them if it wasn't for Its a Sin, il be honest, I don't think I would have thought about this as much.Just because its not really that openly talked about, even now. It's a Sin changed all that-If that's not powerful stuff then i don't know what is. It deserves every award going.

• Heart

Mookiegoose

From what RTD says in his latest articles, I don't think there will be any more. It was a one off and that was it. I suppose that's what makes a good drama, it leaves us wanting more.

Yeah I’m watching again with different eyes. You always spot things and clues.
Still thinking about Collin. His background story of was a mixed one. I wasn’t sure if he had consented To football shirt guy, maybe he felt pressured by him.
Maybe on the after hours show they might break it down for us.
I assumed it was his first sexual experience so wasn't aware that football shirt was a bit rough with him. He was probably excited that there was somebody like him under the same roof. I saw it as consensual but he wasn't sure how he should react. It absolutely broke my heart when he died.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I’m watching for the third time, this time with my 20 year old daughter. I’m still blown away by the writing, acting and standard of this production. Each character is so beautifully written. An absolute masterpiece educating so many of us about a subject that was just adverts and pamphlets in the 80’s, yet so real and tragic for many.

• Heart

kev1974

VIP Member
Yea but did Mrs Thatcher drink any of Roscoe's special tea though, or did Stephen Fry get there in time to stop her :ROFLMAO:

As well as the ambiguity over whether Colin consented to his encounters with the guy in the house he was lodging in (to me it looked like he maybe didn't fully consent, but was lost in the naivety of moving away from home etc to know what to do so he went along with it), I thought that moment with Stephen Fry saying he wasn't gay but every so often needed to be down in the dirt in order to lift his head up or however exactly he charmingly put it - was thought provoking as well.

The face on poor Jill when Ritchie's nasty mum said what she did by the sea front in episode 5 ... superb acting (by both of them) and also superb camera direction to refocus perfectly and catch it. There was the other moment when Ritchie's parents arrived at the hospital and first learned the truth of what he was suffering ... the camera very subtly refocussed from the mum to the dad indicating how they were both taking slightly different lengths of time to take things in and react. Again brilliant attention to detail and a pleasure to watch.

Also not sure if I missed something, after all every little tiny detail in this seemed to mean something, such as the tailor's shop boss being caught cottaging - but how/why did Colin's landlady turn up at the hospital?

Last edited:

Hodgies

Chatty Member
I finished it a couple of nights ago and I'm still thinking about it. I'd seen people say that I'd be crying and I got to Richie dying and was OK so thought I was heart hearted but then when they were all in the kitchen after I was in floods and totally ended when Jill was sitting with Marcus. In fact I'm crying now just thinking about it. I hated Keeley Hawes in it, but then I think that's what you're meant to feel. She's totally indicative of the era but so cruel.

I knew that it had been awful time, I was born in 78 so I remember bits of it in a vague way and I've read and watched enough over the years to get a decent picture but this has really hit home. All those boys and men who just didn't have a chance, who were treated appallingly and suffered way more than they should have done. The lack of dignity, the shame and the ignorance is shocking.

• Sad

Bambix

It's past 1am and I just binge-watched the final 3 episodes and am in bits. My thoughts:

- The scene in the car where his old schoolfriend said how Ritchie could do anything he wanted and had his whole career ahead of him was very upsetting
- Jill and Roscoe being in the Isle of Wight whilst Ritchie was still alive and being robbed of their reunion whilst he died alone in his bed
- COLIN!!!!! I found his final scenes very upsetting and disturbing. His mum was a lovely lady. I also enjoyed Colin's friendship with his work colleague at the start (can't remember his name but played by Neil Patrick Harris)
- We all need a friend like Jill. I was full-on ugly crying when she sat with that lonely man Marcus at the end and he looked so grateful for her company. I want to be more like Jill
- How understanding Ritchie's dad was by the end

Does anyone else think it's interesting they've released it now? There are so many covid deniers these days, just as there were many HIV deniers back then. I wonder if RTD is sending a message there.

Also, nice to see Heaven featuring a couple of times, I miss that place!! Loved going there with my gay friends back in my London days
i really thought the mum would’ve understanding and the dad angry at him. But I loved how they turned it round and the dad was lovely,

Aussie

VIP Member
Another binge watcher here. I was a right mess at the end. I thought everyone played their part brilliantly. Colin was such a sweetheart 😭.
And I want a friend like Jill ❤
We all need a Jill in our lives & the fact she is based on a real person really got me. Colin was so sweet, I was devastated by his storyline.

Reactions: 10

kev1974

VIP Member
Fans of It's A Sin, I recommend taking a look at this excerpt from the musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie that's currently on Amazon Prime. As it is very similar in tone/style and shows some similar historic scenes as It's A Sin did.

It features the song "This Was Me" with Richard E Grant (he's very good) with Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) taking over the singing after a while. The song wasn't in the stage musical, but was written just for the film.

• Heart

~vix~83~

VIP Member
I think it’s great that even though Richie (olly) was obviously the main character. It’s Colin that stuck with most people. It shows you don’t have to be the life and soul of the party to be a good person and people to love you. Although I did love them all.
Spot on, Collin was sweet the minute you meet him. A young man going out of his comfort zone. I can relate to him, shy, laidback, just got on with it. The excitement of gettin the keys to the shop, I remember being allowed to open the shop I worked in and knowin the key code lol he loved the simple things in life. He was so Young and just wanted him mum.

On radio 2 vernon Kay mentioned his brown coat ( he commented on a pic) and that they will go out for drinks dressed as Collin lol

• Heart
  • Haha

Tigercat55

Chatty Member
The last episode was just on Gogglebox and has set me off all over again. It would completely ruin it though for people who haven’t watched!

Mcomics

Chatty Member
I don't know if anyone also enjoyed the programme pose it's set around the New York balls of the 80s a brilliant watch again with the excellent Billy Porter who is himself living with HIV