Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe he was bisexual, and good luck to him if he was. These things were very hard in 1970,1980's Ireland.

Reactions: 5
Maybe he was bisexual, and good luck to him if he was. These things were very hard in 1970,1980's Ireland.
He was so lovely, I went to see him a couple of times with my parents and he had a huge special needs following, and a large section of his audience would be special needs. He would really dedicate a loads of time to his fans anyway but would be so patient and kind. Really good bloke

It seems he was quite the fantastic ride too by all accounts 🤣🤣🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Somebody has too much time on their hands

I thought the church was more liberal now
73B4411E-B76F-418C-8EFF-C4232D5DCD33.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1
This is sad there was many a good time had at Barry’s

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Does anyone watch "Stop Search Seize".
It is on a Sunday night on Pick TV, Freeview.
May have originally been on Sky TV.
I have recorded the last 2 episodes.

It is gas.
About customs coming into Ireland.

Serious question, if you meet people with an Irish surname; what do you immediately think?
I mean a surname which is understood in English, but which they have changed to the Irish version.
I know exactly what I think!

Serious question, if you meet people with an Irish surname; what do you immediately think?
I mean a surname which is understood in English, but which they have changed to the Irish version.
Hmmm I'm not sure I follow, can you give an example? A fake one obviously if you're talking about someone specific! Like someone who's really called Barrett going by the name of Ni Bhairoid (or whatever it is)?

That they're a republican sympathiser ? or just proud of their heritage ? ( don't follow either) ...as I listen to Rod Stewart murder 'Grace' 😬

Last edited:
That they're a republican sympathiser ? or just proud of their heritage ? ( don't follow either) ...as I listen to Rod Stewart murder 'Grace' 😬
Exactly that first one. I have a school friend who I don't recall being particularly proud of her Irish heritage.
Had no interest in learning Irish in school.
Now she has got with a guy, and suddenly she has changed her first name and surname to the Irish versions??
Just curious.

Exactly that first one. I have a school friend who I don't recall being particularly proud of her Irish heritage.
Now she has got with a guy, and suddenly she has changed her first name and surname to the Irish versions??
Just curious.
I wonder if heritage is something that starts to matter more the older you become? As children we place little importance on it, unless it’s environmentally pressed upon you.

Just curious.
I had the exact same with a girl I grew up with. No interest in Irish culture at all then she met this guy, changed her name, fell in love with GAA and started dishing out copies of An Phoblacht 😂

• Haha
I have to say, I purposefully kept my name when I got married and changed it to the Irish version because I'm an awkward cow and and it gives me a giggle when people are trying to pronounce it

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Thank you for all yours replies.
I was just very curious to hear your responses.
I am pleased I have not stirred up any Republican replies. X

Is anyone else watching Sophie on Netflix?
Regarding a very sad murder of a French lady in West Cork in 1996.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4

I watched a similar thing on sky crime, same idea as netflix.so bloody sad and such a weird situation.

I haven’t watched it yet but it’s on my list.
Is it the same case as the West Cork podcast?

Re: the names, I think some people see it as being more proud of their Irishness. A bit like the amount of people that say they can speak Irish in the census is always exaggerated because people feel they 'should' know Irish. The way it's taught in schools is ridiculous anyway, I can speak more French than Irish.

I can't find Murder at the Cottage where I am but did watch Sophie and thought it was very interesting (@LellsBells it is the same case as the podcast). I'm not convinced of Bailey's guilt at all if I'm honest. I think they decided it should be him and ran with it. He's an egomaniac, a nasty piece of work and an attention seeker, but that doesn't mean he's a murderer. Marie Farrell should face legal consequences - one way or another she's lied and should be held accountable for perverting the course of justice or wasting police time or whatever it is.

Reactions: 3